Sponsored

Official Reveal of Electric Jeeps.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Last edited:

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I guess I missed the Hybrid part.... I thought this was going to be an all electric Wrangler. No way I would spring for the (undoubtedly) crazy high price point and less than amazing 25 miles per charge. That wouldn’t get me to town for groceries and back. In the days where a 5500lb all electric SUV can get 300+ miles of range this feels like a gimmick to me.

blackeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I've got a plug-in hybrid in my garage, and the 25 mile range is more than adequate for most of my daily tasks without using any gas. I do live in the city though, so obviously this won't be the case for everybody.

Sponsored

blackeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Put that drivetrain in a Rubicon Gladiator and I’ll buy it tomorrow.
I really hope they put some serious skids on these since the batteries sit low in the body, and if they get damaged I'm scared they could explode.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I really hope they put some serious skids on these since the batteries sit low in the body, and if they get damaged I'm scared they could explode.
I look at life like this “If it’s your time to go, It’s your time to go”
So many family members have told me to stop racing motorcycles, I tell them the same thing every time. I can get killed just standing at a corner waiting for a light.
If the batteries explode then it was my time, but my kids become rich!

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
I guess I missed the Hybrid part.... I thought this was going to be an all electric Wrangler. No way I would spring for the (undoubtedly) crazy high price point and less than amazing 25 miles per charge. That wouldn’t get me to town for groceries and back. In the days where a 5500lb all electric SUV can get 300+ miles of range this feels like a gimmick to me.
Some sites says 31 miles per charge. Most people out there does less thant that for their daily commute. Any I'm pretty sure it will jsut improve down the road (better batteries, better CANBUS programmation, better power management and the like)

Power output, especially torque, is quite impressive. Got more torque that the Hemi 392. Will be practical while wheeling....

Sponsored

OP
OP
DreamedofaJeepSomeday

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I look at life like this “If it’s your time to go, It’s your time to go”
Years ago, my father was driving his crew to jobsite, and he asked man on passenger side to look for traffic coming from the right. Man says "go ahead". Just then, a trucks comes by and my father managed to jam on brakes and avoid collision. He turns to man in passenger seat and says "did you even look!!?? Man replies "If it’s your time to go, It’s your time to go”.

My father says, "what if my time is not the same as yours?"

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the range- This is and the extra torque are where it rocks..."To be clear: It is a plug-in hybrid, not an EV, so it’s mostly meant to be driven with its electric motor and gasoline engine working together. Under such conditions Jeep is claiming “50 mpg equivalent” which is hilarious to think about from a Wrangler. I mean, in a good way!"

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'll buy one when it's full electric.
You may be waiting a long time. I am guessing the weight of the batteries required for that made for too many compromises on off-road abilities. I would be interested in the off-road chops of the new Hummer when it comes out.

For me I would rather have the hybrid than a full electric. I have not seen a lot of charging stations out in the sticks yet. 20 miles of range would get me thru most of my daily commute and still have great range and flexibility if I want to go on a trip. Plugin electric makes a certain amount of sense for road driving around populated areas but I don't think it will be great trail option yet.
Sponsored