Sponsored

Official Title: Too Many Damn Questions ;) F/K/A Opinions on Factory LED Package

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Hey everyone. I currently have a 2015 JKU Sahara and I’ve been considering trading in for a new JLU Rubicon. I really want the Punk’n option and there are a few on the dealer lots. I have aftermarket JW Speaker headlights in my current Jeep and wanted your opinion on the Factory LED package. Is it worth it? Should I stay with aftermarket?

Also, I only have 2 more years of payments left so I’m still struggling with the idea of starting over with payments lol. My current Jeep has 85,000 miles on it and no major issues.

Okay done with the rambling. Thanks in advance for any advice on the lights and if you have any thoughts on trading in or sticking with the one I have, feel free to give them :)
Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Hey everyone. I currently have a 2015 JKU Sahara and I’ve been considering trading in for a new JLU Rubicon. I really want the Punk’n option and there are a few on the dealer lots. I have aftermarket JW Speaker headlights in my current Jeep and wanted your opinion on the Factory LED package. Is it worth it? Should I stay with aftermarket?

Also, I only have 2 more years of payments left so I’m still struggling with the idea of starting over with payments lol. My current Jeep has 85,000 miles on it and no major issues.

Okay done with the rambling. Thanks in advance for any advice on the lights and if you have any thoughts on trading in or sticking with the one I have, feel free to give them :)
I personally had a 2015 JK, had it almost 3 years and 50k on it. Saw the new JL and traded January of 2018. 2 years later and almost 36k miles, I’m extremely happy with my decision and I would do it all over again if I had to. Yea, starting over with payments sucks but IMO it was worth it and still is to me. All my complaints with the JK were addressed with the JL for the most part. As for the LED lights, I have them and they are 100% worth the money. They perform amazingly and I have no regret with them either. Not to mention, they look great and give the Jeep a more modernized look.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As for the LED lights, I have them and they are 100% worth the money. They perform amazingly and I have no regret with them either. Not to mention, they look great and give the Jeep a more modernized look.
Ditto as mentioned above. Solid straight from the factory without having to mess with anything else. The headlights and fogs are great on both on and off road.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...opinion on the Factory LED package. Is it worth it?...
Also, I only have 2 more years of payments left so I’m still struggling with the idea of starting over with payments lol...
LOL!!

Re the lights, worth it!!! DOT approved, factory programmed front and rear, ready to go and if you’re about to drop $50k-$60k on a new Wrangler, it should have that option from the factory.

As far as performance goes, front and rear are top notch.

Re starting over.. lol well, a fact of life for most people is that they’ll always have a vehicle payment. Besides, these things are just worth it!!

Please post pictures when you get it!! :beer:

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
In Florida you will be fine. I know from personal experience the led lights are not hot enough to melt snow, if driving through a snowstorm. Although, it is a simple matter to get out and wipe the snow out of the headlight buckets..

Sponsored

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase

Factory LED's all the way. They look the best and are covered under factory warranty. The rings in the lights are just enough to accent the vehicle. Plus the markers are LED. Aftermarket LEDs always look weird, either too bright or a weird hue. They always look like cheap like you got them on Amazon for $20.

That being said I do love the KC LED headlights. and don't have much experience with JW Speaker but heard they are the best. My 2 cents.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
coming from a car with steerable Bi-Xenons (the wrangler LEDs are not THAT good), they're great for what they are. first jeep, so i don't know how poor the halogen lights are, but heard horror stories, so the LEDs are definitely worth the price. the LED fog lights have enough spread to almost be turning lights.

i don't understand why LEDs are not standard equipment through-out the model range. charge for the cold weather or tow package? sure. charge to upgrade lights? no.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Factory LEDs are a must buy, the best bonus yet is the AUTO high beam headlights. Every vehicle on the road should have them...

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I will second the fact they are not very snow friendly. Other than that I wouldn’t buy one without them.
Yes the LED's are definitely worth the money. After 2 snows though, I added Halogen lights to the front bumper so that I would not lose lights again or experience the warp speed effect. Interestingly enough no snow since I installed them. Coincidence, or was it the fact that I also bought a Snowsport180 plow for clearing the driveway as well? ;)

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

It’s definitely worth it for LEDs , as stated, I also think this should come standard.
As for trading...... imho, if you can afford to do it, and it’s not a financial burden, you should go for it. There’s so much improvement on the JL , you’ll love it , especially if Jeep is in your blood, like me.

We only get one pass at life, as far as I know, you should enjoy it as much as you can. As long as it in no way burdens your family..........:)... and....then you would be be on this forum legally......:giggle:

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Yes worth it. I got a good deal on a late 2019 in August by buying off the lot and it did not have LED. Got the whole front end changed over as economically as I could (take-off fogs(130) and fender lights(175), new heads(750)) but still cost more than the factory upgrade cost and I don't have the tail lights. Not to mention the programmer costs. I still saved overall, but not by much.

1k is a good deal for all those lights.

Last edited:

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll go against the grain here. I bought my JLUR off the lot and it did not have the factory LED package. I went aftermarket on LED bulbs and have been well pleased. They do not in any way look like cheap aftermarket as they still use the factory housing. In fact, I was careful about the color (5500K) and re-aiming the buckets. I don't blind other drivers, and no coding required.
I bought a steel bumper that had the factory LED fogs in it, and they honestly looked yellow and dim comparatively. Immediately sourced brackets and re-installed my original setup.
As for the auto dim feature - the wife's GC has that, and I absolutely hate it. Takes away the drivers control of brights, and we've already got too many nannies.
Like @Dave928 I definitely miss the adaptive bi-xenons from my Audi, but the Jeep doesn't go fast enough for that to be an issue.

All that rambling just to say that I wouldn't make the factory LEDs a deal breaker if you find a Punk'n that you want. There are good aftermarket options out there.

Oh yeah - just make the trade, you won't regret it. :jk:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the LED's are definitely worth the money. After 2 snows though, I added Halogen lights to the front bumper so that I would not lose lights again or experience the warp speed effect. Interestingly enough no snow since I installed them. Coincidence, or was it the fact that I also bought a Snowsport180 plow for clearing the driveway as well? ;)
Hey Dave, thanks for installing those halogens and keeping my snow blower in the garage for the entire winter. Lol. (Only had to run the shovel once in Dec.)
Seriously though thanks to you and the other posters on the LED’s not getting hot enough to melt the snow. I had no idea, I got my JL in July and as stated earlier a rare snow free winter here in NYC.
As for the OP, the factory LED’s look good, are plenty bright and well worth it in my opinion. Put it on “auto” and you don’t even have to touch them.
I too traded in a JK for a JL, sooooo much nicer Jeep especially for us manual transmission fans. Time goes so darn fast , you’re gonna blink your eyes and be done with the payments.

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Thanks everyone :) . One more question ... so many of the Rubis on the lot right now have the Advanced Safety Group. Is there anyway to disengage that feature?
Sponsored