Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
On the 3.6L V6, how much oil goes in a 2021 JT? On my 2018 Rubicon JLU, I always used 5.7 quarts. I assumed that this was the same on my 2021 JT with the 3.6L V6 however, the owner's manual says "5-quarts" (picture below). I just changed the oil/filter and added 5-quarts of oil, then started it up. I let the oil settled back into the pan for about 10-minutes and checked it and it was 1/3 of the way on the safe indicator on the dipstick. So...seems like it needs more oil. Is the owners manual incorrect?

Jeep Gladiator Oil Capacity - This is Strange? 1620937825480
Sponsored

OP
OP
Binfordtools

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Not debatable. the vehicle takes 5 qt.s of oil and no more.

From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...
"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."
Thank you for the quick and detailed response. I will keep er' at 5-quarts. Appreciate it.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Go with the manual.

The discrepancy has been brought up before and discussed. For some reason this generation they say 5 quarts.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Many dealers do not know this. See below. Dealer told me not to worry. I suspect they actually put 5qts in because it measures correctly for me. Its a shit show.
Jeep Gladiator Oil Capacity - This is Strange? JTR service record - recall software and oil change 6qt_LI

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
@Kevman

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."
@Pepe I saw when you posted it earlier. I missed you coming in ahead of me. I had seen the reason before but couldn't remember why, so I kept it vague. đź‘Ť

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
And this is why I do my own and don't trust them to change my oil or rotate my tires.
I hear you. I used to do all my own oil changes (and brakes, and most other fluids and filters) but as I get older the ground in MN is getting colder. Plus my hourly billing rate is going up and my time with my children is getting more precious - meaning that I am willing to pay a trusted mechanic to do this. I'm using the dealership for free oil changes and warranty service and then will be back in the safe and capable hands of Expedition Autoworks here in Mpls. They kept my 03 LR Discovery II on the road for 180K miles and 10 years and I trust them with my mother's car and my wife's car. You will find the owners working on vehicles every day and they are Bosch certified. They are also reasonably priced and will tell you if you can get away with a non repair (as in "cover that warning light with electrical tape and get it resolved before winter" kind of advice).

Deleted member 39643

I've recently started checking the oil level before draining and then fill to that level to compensate for angled surfaces. My garage has a very slight slope, and due to the position of some oil dipsticks this can make it appear high / low inaccurately. Although you could also be burning some, maybe start a log and keep track of fluid irregularities.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I just changed my oil and it ended up being 5.2 qts to show full on the dipstick. I took my time and was methodical since it was my first oil change on the Gladiator.

Edit: the post above it's a good point. I checked my oil level on level ground. I filled the engine to 4.5 quarts while still on ramps, drove it off the ramps, checked the oil level, poured in the other half. Started the engine for a few minutes, drove it for a minutes, turned it off, checked the level, added an extra .2 quarts.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
@Aonarch

You are not saying your put 5.2 qts. in right?

Per FCA, proper fill is exactly 5 qts. and no more.

Sure, it will not hurt to put an additional .2 qts. in ...BUT, why would you do that... makes little sense to do so.

Because the dipstick showed I was on the minimum level at 5 qts... Pretty standard procedure.

Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
@Aonarch

Ok, I see you are kidding.. Forget I brought up the proper fill on the JT is exactly 5 qts..
You do realize that there are variances in this right? You could very well only put in 4 quarts, because only 4 drained out. Maybe cold engine, or just that's how it went.

So I don't suggest just putting in 5 quarts and calling it a day. You need to check on the dipstick what level it is showing.

Also let's say hypothetically I overfilled by .2 quarts, it will be fine.

I'm a mechanical engineer fyi and have worked in the automotive industry, so I trust my method vs someone random on the internet posting a news article from FCA and claiming it is written in stone.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
I can say, I watched the dealer put 6 qts in mine

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
This was a big controversy when the JL Wranglers first hit the street. Dealers were over filling the engine oil with 6 qts because that is what the 3.6L always took up until then.

On my JLU and now JT I pour in a 5 qt jug and call it good.

If I check the oil I'll do it in the morning before first start of the day. The dipstick always shows full.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
This was a big controversy when the JL Wranglers first hit the street. Dealers were over filling the engine oil with 6 qts because that is what the 3.6L always took up until then.

On my JLU and now JT I pour in a 5 qt jug and call it good.

If I check the oil I'll do it in the morning before first start of the day. The dipstick always shows full.
I asked at the dealership. They said their system only allows them to Bill in 6 qts for an oil change. That said they did the fast squeeze method, so it probably only got 5 qts. Literally 30 to 45 seconds per bottle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize that there are variances in this right? You could very well only put in 4 quarts, because only 4 drained out. Maybe cold engine, or just that's how it went.

So I don't suggest just putting in 5 quarts and calling it a day. You need to check on the dipstick what level it is showing.

Also let's say hypothetically I overfilled by .2 quarts, it will be fine.

I'm a mechanical engineer fyi and have worked in the automotive industry, so I trust my method vs someone random on the internet posting a news article from FCA and claiming it is written in stone.
You do what my dealer does - fills it to EXACTLY full on the stick. That's why the papers say "6 quarts" because anything over the exact quart mark gets recorded, it doesn't mean they put 6 in it.
I asked them about it first oil change and they explained THEIR methodology.
I have ALWAYS filled my cars exactly to the full mark. That's why I may have a bottle of oil that's got just a little bit out of it.

Sometimes you have to watch for wrong dipsticks, changed parts and so on.
Here's the kicker - they don't make filters to hold exact specific amounts of oil, some retain more, some retain less, when shut down. (at least the old style filters) and pans aren't precise medical or scientific instruments. They may say "5 quarts" so that a person can go out and buy 5 quarts and put it in and be fine, but there's no harm in filling to the fill mark right on the money, either.
If you have an AMC V8 engine you may put 6 quarts in it because they are known for poor oil drain-back issues. I could run mine hard, high RPM for an extended period, then hit the brakes for a stop sign - and cause the light to come on. Solution - 6 quarts. Dozens if not hundreds of us do that.
I guess I don't see what the heck the big deal is if someone wants to fill the JT's engine to the full mark no matter what it takes., 4.9 or 5.2. Who cares - if it's not OVER the full mark, how can it be an issue. Engine capacities are typically generalizations anyway, approximations.
It says 5 quarts, so buy 5 and a filter, change the oil, call it good. If you want it to the full mark, who gives a crap? Fill it to the full mark if your OCD dictates you do that.
Sponsored