Oil Catch Can - is it needed?

Jhoude19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT & 1998 Jeep XJ
So after doing some research, it seems these motors are "notorious" for oil blow by. So I ordered a Oil Catch can and will be installing it this week as well as doing a review, and install guide. But I was wondering if there is anyone with real world experience with these motors and running catch cans.
Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Never heard of this being an issue. Do you have any source information?

OP
OP
Jhoude19

Jhoude19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never heard of this being an issue. Do you have any source information?
just from research online, my other project cars are all turbo'd so im used to blow by issues. I decided to do some reading up on it for these motors and found some people having some issues. granted most are on the older 3.6 in the jk systems but that's why I was asking if anyone had any issues with these newer designed motors.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Newer ones still can blow oil while parked on steep inclines. I've watched it on the JLs but honestly haven't had a chance to see if the JTs do it too. Would assume so. The catch can kits are very expensive for what they are. I'd like to see someone come out with a reasonable kit.

example on JL

example of steep hill...and no that's not all tire smoke

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhoude19

Jhoude19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Newer ones still can drain oil while parked on steep inclines. I've watched it on the JLs but honestly haven't had a chance to see if the JTs do it too. Would assume so. The catch can kits are very expensive for what they are. I'd like to see someone come out with a reasonable kit.

example on JL
I actually ended up purhacing a mishimoto can and did a write up and video on it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There should always be a vacuum in the crankcase. To me any blowby means abnormal - needs attention.
Turbo changes things as you are increasing the combustion chamber pressures quite a bit (and why some engines blow when adding turbo and no other mods)
Drag racers use vacuum pumps to keep a vacuum in the crankcase. Aids ring sealing, etc.

One test we always used to do to check engine physical health was to measure the vacuum in the crankcase.
Pressure = bad.
Vacuum = good.

Interesting to hear there's any issue at all that way in a normally aspirated engine.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Catch cans are not needed in any modern, stock engine. They are nothing more than a vapor/oil separator. If you don't have one with internal baffles/filter/screen/etc then they are REALLY pointless, the majority of the oil and muck will stay suspension and just go through to the intake anyway. If you have enough blow by that you need one on a stock engine, they you have a serious problem with that motor.

If you do want a catch can, just to have something else to maintain, or because it makes you feel better please under no circumstances have it vent to atmosphere. It must be routed through the intake and under vacuum. Otherwise it will be doing more harm than good. Having a vacuum to scavenge the crank case vapors is a good thing.

As for the above video, yes no more smoking, really not much of a problem, but if you are actually driving on those extreme angles, then yes install one. Same reason I installed one on my 700hp blown corvette, its an edge case.

TLDR/
If you need one, you will KNOW you need one also/and; I will never change peoples mind on this, or CAIs, or anything else, but there ya go.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Catch cans are not needed in any modern, stock engine. They are nothing more than a vapor/oil separator. If you don't have one with internal baffles/filter/screen/etc then they are REALLY pointless, the majority of the oil and muck will stay suspension and just go through to the intake anyway. If you have enough blow by that you need one on a stock engine, they you have a serious problem with that motor.

If you do want a catch can, just to have something else to maintain, or because it makes you feel better please under no circumstances have it vent to atmosphere. It must be routed through the intake and under vacuum. Otherwise it will be doing more harm than good. Having a vacuum to scavenge the crank case vapors is a good thing.

As for the above video, yes no more smoking, really not much of a problem, but if you are actually driving on those extreme angles, then yes install one. Same reason I installed one on my 700hp blown corvette, its an edge case.

TLDR/
If you need one, you will KNOW you need one also/and; I will never change peoples mind on this, or CAIs, or anything else, but there ya go.
Exactly. Like I was saying - if you need one there's a problem, of course running extreme angles or a blown engine, perhaps, yeah.
There's a lot of marketing out there, a lot of bad info, and of course - "he has one and he's cool" helps sell them.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’ve experienced it once while attempting an extreme climb. I was at an approximately 60 degree angle for several minutes, while trying to climb a ledge. Oil made its way to the intake, and I started blowing smoke from the tailpipe. It continued for several minutes, even after backing down. I may put one on it at some point, but I also don’t think it’s causing any damage to do that every once in a while.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve experienced it once while attempting an extreme climb. I was at an approximately 60 degree angle for several minutes, while trying to climb a ledge. Oil made its way to the intake, and I started blowing smoke from the tailpipe. It continued for several minutes, even after backing down. I may put one on it at some point, but I also don’t think it’s causing any damage to do that every once in a while.
Depending on engine design, it can be drain-back to the pan - if the oil up top can't get to the drain holes in heads and the valley, it accumulates. There's times that some of us run our cars so hard there's so much oil up top on the heads and such we can make the oil light flicker and smoke out the tail because of the oil accumulation around the valve stems.

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
If you have direct injection a catch can will help. Direct injection sprays fuel into the cylinder and any oil that may blow by can build up on the top of the valves. If you don't have direct injection (port injection like our 3.6L gladiators or both port and direct) it will mix with the air being drawn into the cylinder and will clean the valves as it is drawn in.

Watch this video

Read this article and you will get a better grasp.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html

OP
OP
Jhoude19

Jhoude19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
update, just over a month after installing the catch can, with roughly 1000 miles. drained the can for the first time.

oil.jpg

JCJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator LE Rubicon White & Jeep Gladiator LE Rubicon Granite Crystal
Occupation
NAVY
what catch can are you guys using