First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Has anyone heard about this warning for 2014 and UP 3.6 Pentastar oil cap valve malfunction?

Never mind it’s Amsoil rep talking, he’s explaining there’s cause for concern for our oil caps as there is a faulty valve issue in there.
Sponsored

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I was worried that might be the case. They will make one for ours if necessary. Maybe Mopar redesigned the cap. Will look next time I change oil.

Sponsored

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
@Pepe

Watched the video. Seems like a guy trying to sell amsoil filters. Doesn’t know the difference between psi and psid. His description of the other brand filters is not correct. But it is an interesting design for a bypass valve.

Guessing the new design was to prevent the failures of the first design. Don’t see much about failures with the new design on the net.

But thanks for the heads up and it is definitely something to keep an eye on.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
At 10k now and after Pepe had posted the part# on the oil cap I ordered it to have a back up. Received it yesterday and did my oil change. My first oil change was at 1,000kms and replaced the Mopar filter for the Amsoil one. Took a sample of the first oil change and the lab found a “trace of glycol”. I anxiously waited for the 10k to come for the oil change and have the sample going in on Monday. If no glycol is found here, the factory used contaminated oil. We shall see.
Here’s a couple pics of the Mopar filter (top) vs Amsoil (bottom ).
Was more careful to pull the filter straight out and also put back in. (Never had to think about this part or I’d break something).

Jeep Gladiator Oil Filter Cap Warning - 3.6 Pentastar 27253848-BE6C-4FF8-96BB-3C06528F908F

Jeep Gladiator Oil Filter Cap Warning - 3.6 Pentastar 270D1467-EC6B-459F-B5E7-6D7836803E3A

Jeep Gladiator Oil Filter Cap Warning - 3.6 Pentastar 393E0FF9-24F0-47A7-983E-F330E4E065D2

Jeep Gladiator Oil Filter Cap Warning - 3.6 Pentastar CF21E639-AD39-4CB8-BAAA-FF29A7E20CE9

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
At 10k now and after Pepe had posted the part# on the oil cap I ordered it to have a back up. Received it yesterday and did my oil change. My first oil change was at 1,000kms and replaced the Mopar filter for the Amsoil one. Took a sample of the first oil change and the lab found a “trace of glycol”. I anxiously waited for the 10k to come for the oil change and have the sample going in on Monday. If no glycol is found here, the factory used contaminated oil. We shall see.
Here’s a couple pics of the Mopar filter (top) vs Amsoil (bottom ).
Was more careful to pull the filter straight out and also put back in. (Never had to think about this part or I’d break something).
That is not at all evidence the factory used contaminated oil and people really need to stop freaking out about traces of things in their oil that aren't indicators of wear. There are maximum allowable values of everything including toxic elements and rat shit in your food. Glycol is a component of nearly every coolant on the market so its presence in a new engine isn't unexpected. If you start to see more than trace amounts then I'd worry but trace amounts aren't going to impact the efficacy of your engine oil in any significant way.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
That is not at all evidence the factory used contaminated oil and people really need to stop freaking out about traces of things in their oil that aren't indicators of wear. There are maximum allowable values of everything including toxic elements and rat shit in your food. Glycol is a component of nearly every coolant on the market so its presence in a new engine isn't unexpected. If you start to see more than trace amounts then I'd worry but trace amounts aren't going to impact the efficacy of your engine oil in any significant way.
Maybe. The thing about oil manufactured and bottled or sealed is that it doesn’t contain glycol. Glycol in engine oil is not something you want to see even if it’s “trace amounts”. Kinda like blood in your urine. Glycol in the oil, even trace amounts is, (1) corrosive, and (2) it says something. Either the Pure manufactured oil is contaminated at the factory(because glycol isn’t added during manufacturing) OR there’s an internal leak in the engine. Both scenarios, to me, are important. Kinda like blood in your urine.

Nobody here is freaking out. I gravitate toward information and details that prepare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Got the 10k engine oil sample test results back from the lab this morning. They found glycol in the sample again. Lab cautions there’s an internal coolant leak which requires immediate attention. Problem solved!

Last edited:

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's funny that FCA began using this top load filter for convenience, but then people had worse luck with them. The caps would get over tightened and crack the plastic housing which caused oil leaks, the filters would be damaged in removal which caused future filters to be screwed up, the old style filter would be put in the new style housing, etc. etc. Just an absolute circus.

I'm surprised they didn't at some point say screw it and go back to a spin-on.
Sponsored