Sponsored

Oil in air intake duct?

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Just curious if this is normal since I have never noticed it in other vehicles I have worked on. While changing the air filter I noticed oil in the air intake duct. Does this happen from evaporation/condensation from the engine, or from overfilling the oil (I have had to drain out a quart of oil the last couple of oil changes). Or is it normal?
TIA for any info on this!

76BDCAB1-737A-424C-ACBE-A6C8BA54BC68.jpeg

47E6A8E8-BA77-4461-992B-795A17C74740.jpeg
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
If its oil, could mean your getting a lot of blow by. And PCVs are normally vented into the intake where it could be condensing. But that seems to be more than just blow by. Blow by usually just leaves an oily film on the inside of the intake.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Did the dealer overfill your oil? Should be 5 quarts but lots of dealers get confused and give it 6.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Thanks. It does seem like a lot to be condensing in there. I'll have the techs take a look at it when I take it in soon.

If its oil, could mean your getting a lot of blow by. And PCVs are normally vented into the intake where it could be condensing. But that seems to be more than just blow by. Blow by usually just leaves an oily film on the inside of the intake.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Yes they always add too much (despite me asking them to only add 5). The last couple of changes I drain about a quart out with a day or two after getting it home. Last oil change was several thousand miles ago, and it about due now (and will probably do it myself this time around...).
Thanks!

Did the dealer overfill your oil? Should be 5 quarts but lots of dealers get confused and give it 6.

Sponsored

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Curious if anyone else sees this amount of oil in their intake (for those without catch cans; if you have a catch can, do you have zero oil buildup here)?

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
So they said that it can happen when oil is filled too quickly. They are the only ones that have done oil changes... and they usually fill it too much... Will keep an eye on it, but not impressed....

IMG_0185.jpg

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Seems like a little motor than normal oil vapor blow by. Keep a good eye on it and if it happens again keep taking it in so if it gets a lot worst they have it all down in writing

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Seems like a little motor than normal oil vapor blow by. Keep a good eye on it and if it happens again keep taking it in so if it gets a lot worst they have it all down in writing

Chris D

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKURHR, 2019 JL
Checked my air filter today and discovered a similar view. Although I don't have actual numbers, the nearly black oil in the intake appeared confined to the bellows and was much more viscous than 0w20. Checked the vent tube from the crank case to the intake and it had a little residue in it also. I would call BS on the filling it too fast claim, that would indicate the return path from the heads is undersized and this would be a huge issue. Overfilling the sump could allow the oil to contact the crankshaft, resulting in splashing which could then make its way out the breather.

Sponsored