remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
E6FB1A89-6882-4857-8C0B-F761517885BB.jpeg
Will take it in this coming week, but any ideas?

(Sorry if images are flipped, I swear they are normal on my phone)

E2AFE04F-C439-47C7-AE70-E1CFD0901D7A.jpeg

1F487485-D1AB-4ACC-9856-DA3AAEA76467.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
More than likely a axle seal :crying:
Thanks. Is this a big deal? Is it common on JL/JT platform? Will it require replacement of axle? Just want to know what to expect when I take it in.

Additonal info: the plastic “star ring” spins very easily in both sides. Is this normal?

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Thanks. Is this a big deal? Is it common on JL/JT platform? Will it require replacement of axle? Just want to know what to expect when I take it in.

Additonal info: the plastic “star ring” spins very easily in both sides. Is this normal?
well if you don’t take care of it, it can become a very big deal... just think, it will leak your diff fluid all out and then all your gears get hot, and then like a whole axle go boom explode :lipssealed: (just thinking here)

it’s a common issue on all straight axle vehicles. Some people make it a long time without replacements, but if it’s a seal... they can go bad, it happens.

Axle replacement, probably not unless you break your internal diff components.

As for time... depends how busy a shop is. Takes a little bit of time to do. And for the star thingy... no clue.

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase

I think that "star ring" is a dirt/mud deflector for the seal. Seen the same type of thing on off highway equipment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
well if you don’t take care of it, it can become a very big deal... just think, it will leak your diff fluid all out and then all your gears get hot, and then like a whole axle go boom explode :lipssealed: (just thinking here)

it’s a common issue on all straight axle vehicles. Some people make it a long time without replacements, but if it’s a seal... they can go bad, it happens.

Axle replacement, probably not unless you break your internal diff components.

As for time... depends how busy a shop is. Takes a little bit of time to do. And for the star thingy... no clue.
Got it. Did a bit of research after you pointed me in the right direction and looks like a slow leak is not catastrophic but should be addressed before the diff oil level drops too much. Thanks again. Have an appt for Monday to have it addressed.

I think that "star ring" is a dirt/mud deflector for the seal. Seen the same type of thing on off highway equipment.
Makes sense to keep dirt off the seal. Oh well, too late :)

Sponsored

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
I have the same on my front left of the ‘21 JTM at approx 12k miles. No issues on the ‘21 JTHA with similar mileage. All factory still. I have an appt with the dealership that we purchased it from coming up soon.

B5C6642E-7A15-4E11-86EE-03179C544277.jpeg

8D021A02-DF3C-4EAD-A189-5DEAC5008FB9.jpeg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That's quite a short life on the axle seal, now if it wasn't as new... AKA under 100000 miles thats not good. I've only had the axle seals wear out after 100k miles or after running though a lot of mud and sand but still over 75-100k of miles. My 2 example vehicles my 90 XJ left front 150k plus,
05 LJ right front and right rear both was way over 150k mileage.
The "star" thing is to help deflect crud from axle tube, it might help.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
What’s the test to confirm that it’s diff fluid vs. some other fluid? If wiped on a paper towel, it looks dark like diff fluid, not red, green, nor orange; yet no distinct smell. No visible wetness anywhere higher than the mud flinger.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
And should it matter if the vehicle parked with nose slightly down hill? Shouldn’t matter, right?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
And should it matter if the vehicle parked with nose slightly down hill? Shouldn’t matter, right?
A seal is a seal. Should never leak.
Sponsored