Oil Shortage ???

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I know it's not just my area, the internet is out as well!

While leisurely walking the isles of my local Wally world, I figured I'd swing on over to the oil and pick me up a couple jugs. Much to my dismay they were completely out of the QuakerState euro 5w40. They also didn't have any Pennzoil plat. So I figured I'd just go on Amazon and get it... I was wrong! I can no longer find the oil for my ecodiesel available for regular MSRP. Amazon (going to hell in a hand basket with much higher prices than the bargains it used to have) had a couple scalper priced jugs only. WTH???

Where'd all the 5w40 Quakerstate and Pennzoil go?
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
My Walmart only ever carries Pennzoil platinum. They never carry the ultra.

In any event they carry both online. And at a price far lower than Amazon.

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
My Walmart only ever carries Pennzoil platinum. They never carry the ultra.

In any event they carry both online. And at a price far lower than Amazon.
Neither are available in euro 5w40 on the Wal-Mart website as of a few minutes ago. At least that I could find.

If you have a link, please share!

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Hmmm you must be a diesel.

Sorry on that. It sure seems like a harder oil spec to find. Shouldn't be so hard.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
How about rotella t6 ? I haven't checked if that meets the spec but it is good stuff.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Try Sam's Club. If you have the Plus membership, most things are shipped for free.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I could probably buy it for you here but shipping would be a killer - UPS or Fedex

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
The Quaker State 5W-40 has been on clearance at Walmart recently. I've been trying to snag it up as I find it around Walmarts near me. Not sure what the specifically means--they may just stop carrying it completely?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
The Quaker State 5W-40 has been on clearance at Walmart recently. I've been trying to snag it up as I find it around Walmarts near me. Not sure what the specifically means--they may just stop carrying it completely?
Yeah, bad news

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's POSSIBLE (didn't say likely, but possible) that Quaker State is replacing it with a newer oil. That happens quite a bit - they change things up a bit, one oil is replaced with a new formulation and the old goes on clearance. The test stuff I look at sometimes says "replaced in 2019 by xxxxx" in his notes, meaning you won't find THAT EXACT oil now but they've replaced it by a new formulation.

Multiple possibilities for something like oil being on clearance. And sometimes WalMart finds a certain oil not making them enough money - maybe the turnaround is slow, maybe it sits on a shelf for a month before selling, so they clearance that and replace it by one they've found flying off the shelves - whatever.

Anyway, to the OP - good luck, and I suggest when you find a good oil that's good for you and at your price point, etc. - buy a case of it. Yes, it hurts up front, but with inflation what it is, and oil never going to get cheaper - I'd hope you would be ahead in the next couple of years.

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
It's POSSIBLE (didn't say likely, but possible) that Quaker State is replacing it with a newer oil. That happens quite a bit - they change things up a bit, one oil is replaced with a new formulation and the old goes on clearance. The test stuff I look at sometimes says "replaced in 2019 by xxxxx" in his notes, meaning you won't find THAT EXACT oil now but they've replaced it by a new formulation.

Multiple possibilities for something like oil being on clearance. And sometimes WalMart finds a certain oil not making them enough money - maybe the turnaround is slow, maybe it sits on a shelf for a month before selling, so they clearance that and replace it by one they've found flying off the shelves - whatever.

Anyway, to the OP - good luck, and I suggest when you find a good oil that's good for you and at your price point, etc. - buy a case of it. Yes, it hurts up front, but with inflation what it is, and oil never going to get cheaper - I'd hope you would be ahead in the next couple of years.
So the story continues.

I've been searching and searching, both online and in stores w/o any luck. It's actually becoming very concerning to me realizing that I won't be able to change my oil (aside from a local -not-so-intelligent- dealership). No good!!!

I'm highly considering the Castrol, Valvoline and/or Mobil 1 Euro oils even though they don't have a ms-12991 or whatever the number is, approval. They do, however, have all the other requirements and have the same related manufacturers ratings (API SN, MB, VW, BMW and such).

I figure it has to be the same or similar stuff but w/o the Chrysler specific notarization.

Larry D

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order
I know it's not just my area, the internet is out as well!

While leisurely walking the isles of my local Wally world, I figured I'd swing on over to the oil and pick me up a couple jugs. Much to my dismay they were completely out of the QuakerState euro 5w40. They also didn't have any Pennzoil plat. So I figured I'd just go on Amazon and get it... I was wrong! I can no longer find the oil for my ecodiesel available for regular MSRP. Amazon (going to hell in a hand basket with much higher prices than the bargains it used to have) had a couple scalper priced jugs only. WTH???

Where'd all the 5w40 Quakerstate and Pennzoil go?
Never wait if you find it. 3 deep and got 5 more on the way.

20210911_102125.jpg
Sponsored