First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I noticed oil smoke on start up after an overnight trip. Happens 2 out of 3 time. Known issue?? 2022 JT Rubicon 9200 miles and now doing first oil change. Any comments? It's being looked into at dealership.
Sponsored

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Are you sure it's not just condensation steam?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
What color is the smoke? Blue is oil. White is water/coolant. Black is fuel. If it's any other color. Then you belong to one of those ABC groups.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
It was headed for an oil change monday morning anyway. Problem started 3 days before they could get to the oil change. Oil change monitor said it was due at 9300 miles.
And it's tailpipe smoke, correct?
Check the oil level before you leave the dealership.
Someone here recently seemed to have gotten the drain without the refill.
Check for leaks when you get home, both topside and underneath.

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
It was headed for an oil change monday morning anyway. Problem started 3 days before they could get to the oil change. Oil change monitor said it was due at 9300 miles.
9300 miles before first change??? All of those particles of metal from new engine wear floating around in there and they tell you 9300 miles??? That is ridiculous. I changed my first one at 1500 miles to rid the oil of the shavings and new engine particles. Then I go every 5,000.

I'm crawling back into my cave.....................

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
9300 miles before first change??? All of those particles of metal from new engine wear floating around in there and they tell you 9300 miles??? That is ridiculous. I changed my first one at 1500 miles to rid the oil of the shavings and new engine particles. Then I go every 5,000.

I'm crawling back into my cave.....................
I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles. 2nd one at 2,500 miles. 3rd at 5,000 miles. Now everyone is at 5,000 mile intervals.

You go to your cave. I'm still looking for a rock to crawl over.

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I posted on here a while back on my 22. Mine would do one puff when n first started. I keep it in garage and never noticed tIā€™ll colder weather started. I was told by a few people it was condensation. It was a blueish white , Only one puff. It never did it in warmer weather when I bought it in September. Now I check it every time I start it . It Hasnā€™t done in in quite a while. Mine did it when it sat for a couple days and only did it only once in a while. I think it was un burned condensation maybe ? Mine now has 3500 miles and I will change oil a little under 5000 I figure.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Valve seals leaking down could cause this ?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I know better than to wait so long for an oil change. But, as per the owners manual, oil change should be one year or when the oil life monitor tells you to (engine oil change required) or 350 engine operating hours. The maintenance schedule in the owners manual notes that the first maintenance event is at 10,000 miles or one year, which includes an engine oil change. I relied on Jeep to tell me when to change the oil, hell they built the thing.
My Read of the manual was that it recommends following the oil life monitor under normal driving conditions, but to go a maximum of one year between changes even if the mileage or monitor reading didn't yet require it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Todd Fourmy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Yeap, its 4 months old

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I relied on Jeep to tell me when to change the oil, hell they built the thing.
First mistake. They expect these things to fail. Replacing parts and components is big business. Do what they say. Theyā€™ve done the science to make sure components die right after warranty. Big business in extended warranties too. Check the roster on all the company executives and suits and make a list on how many of them were brought up through the ranks on their SALES abilities and how many through customer service and negotiating experience

But thatā€™s just my ā€œnever be humble opinionā€. Iā€™m sure they have good and honourable intentions to their science.

Anyway, I think changing oil early and a few times during the break in period is just good practice. But concerning the oil burningā€¦ if it was me, thereā€™s a couple things I would do to investigate it.

Turn on your engine and pull the oil cap. Do you have a rush of air blowing out (blow by) or not? Find this out, put the cap back on. You can do this with engine cold and then try again when hot. Blow by is a sign of either piston rings not seated or weak compression. Both will cause oil burning.

The air thatā€™s sucked in through the intake is supposed to go into the tops of the pistons and blow out the exhaust. If your compression is good and high, the air wonā€™t go into the crankcase and out the PCV to be sent back to the intake, this time mixed with oil micro droplets that can coat the Mass Air Flow sensor (reducing the efficiency of the running of the engine) but that oil accumulation goes through the intake gumming up stuff and gets burned off.

Some crankcase air is ā€œnormalā€ (others will say) but Iā€™m at 10k miles on my newly replaced engine, have changed my oil 6 times already and have zero blow by. Maybe my engineā€™s condition is just different.

There is a LOT of engines with blow by but Iā€™ll bet thatā€™s because people follow the maintenance schedule wisdom within.

The second thing Iā€™d do (if I have blow by) is get a compression test done on the cylinders and go from there. Check the plugs to see which ones are more oily than the others. Oil on a plug is a bad sign.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I relied on Jeep to tell me when to change the oil, hell they built the thing.

No, they built millions of them, and they want you to buy more than just one. If you do above and beyond and make it last 20-30 yers, your not making thier marketing department and stock holders happy.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I know better than to wait so long for an oil change. But, as per the owners manual, oil change should be one year or when the oil life monitor tells you to (engine oil change required) or 350 engine operating hours. The maintenance schedule in the owners manual notes that the first maintenance event is at 10,000 miles or one year, which includes an engine oil change. I relied on Jeep to tell me when to change the oil, hell they built the thing.
I get that and I didn't mean to sound so curt in my earlier post but I remember having a chat with my dad back in the early 70's when he was changing the oil.

We were talking about when the "recommended" intervals for oil changes on his Ford. He said he routinely did it at about half the recommended mileage and I asked him why. He said, "The folks that write those manuals make a living in selling vehicles. If your car wears out a few years earlier then they sell another one a few years earlier, too."

Then, he took the drain plug out, which was lightly magnetized, and before wiping it off told me to look at the shavings and particles that had collected just since the last change. He then said that if you ever buy a new car/truck, there is much more of this collected due to the break in process.

I was shocked at what I saw and became a "believer" right there.

Yeah, we have advanced a lot in those 50 years, but the laws of physics still apply and when metal rubs against metal there will be friction, heat and wear...

Fx03gladi1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw and porsche
Any update on the dealer visit and their diagnosis of blue puff ?
Sponsored