Old School Mod: Waterproofing Willys Jeep

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
War Department Video

1. Extremely cool to watch these submersed Jeeps
2. Asbestos putty? Why aren't they all wearing gloves to apply the putty?!
3. Question: don't you have to remove all that putty?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Asbestos is primarily an inhalation and ingestion hazard, specifically the friable variety. Using it as a fiber reinforcement for the putty is the same reason it was used in cement shingles and various flooring tiles, it’s tough and strong and was pretty much THE engineering fiber of its day.

That said it’s some bad joojoo in the workplace and I had to shut down about 10 million worth of renovation work until it was resolved.

I’ve seen what amount to a skirt kit that displaces just enough water to float a hummer, supposedly derived from a rover design that I’m sure was Jeep in origin.

OP
JeepDreams

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Yes, you're right - inhalation and ingestion hazard, not tactical... my mistake.

But after the water landing, doesn't all that putty have to be removed for long term use and maintenance of the Jeep?

TheITGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2015 Toyota Rav4 XLE
Asbestos is primarily an inhalation and ingestion hazard, specifically the friable variety. Using it as a fiber reinforcement for the putty is the same reason it was used in cement shingles and various flooring tiles, it’s tough and strong and was pretty much THE engineering fiber of its day.

That said it’s some bad joojoo in the workplace and I had to shut down about 10 million worth of renovation work until it was resolved.

I’ve seen what amount to a skirt kit that displaces just enough water to float a hummer, supposedly derived from a rover design that I’m sure was Jeep in origin.
Don't forget the Swimming Shermans! :captain:

Advertisement

Advertisement