D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure it’s been asked and answered but taking too long to find it. What’s the mileage we get once the gauge shows empty?
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
My Ecodiesel went 15 miles after it said low fuel. Probably could have gone 20

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
This is an interesting question for me too. I've run mine down low enough where it stops giving a distance range just to get this understanding. I went to fill it up and only put 16 or 17 gallons in. My 3.6L has a 22 gallon tank (per the manual). So my opinion is the gauge is real conservative. At my mileage rate I can get probably another 60 or 70 miles out of it- I never push it.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Both my JLU and JT will show miles to empty (RTE) all the way down to 30. So 30 in my case.

Sponsored

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how the Gladiator is set up but on most cars the fuel keeps the pump running cooler. I try not to get it that low!
Ya I try not to but sometimes I don’t realize it’s on empty so just wondering, it’s very rare though. My last car would run another 50 miles after it showed empty

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure it’s been asked and answered but taking too long to find it. What’s the mileage we get once the gauge shows empty?
There's no one answer.
Yes, it's been talked about since I first became a member, in several threads.

The problem with others trying to answer that is one guy may be getting 21 mpg and will answer 50 miles and the next guy gets 14 mpg and will answer 30 miles - because empty isn't a precise measure of remaining fuel - could be a gallon, could be 1.5, could be 1.6.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is an interesting question for me too. I've run mine down low enough where it stops giving a distance range just to get this understanding. I went to fill it up and only put 16 or 17 gallons in. My 3.6L has a 22 gallon tank (per the manual). So my opinion is the gauge is real conservative. At my mileage rate I can get probably another 60 or 70 miles out of it- I never push it.
While filling, the pump usually "clicks off" at about 18.5-19 gallons when the low fuel light is on - and there's about 20-25 miles left. I can always get more in it, usually 20.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
While filling, the pump usually "clicks off" at about 18.5-19 gallons when the low fuel light is on - and there's about 20-25 miles left. I can always get more in it, usually 20.
You really don’t want to go after the first click off. It bothers the hell out of Evap. Its not a one and done thing, but if its a habit, it will lead to earlier failures of that component because it “burps” the expanding fuel not just the vapors. And a clogged evap just triggers the pump to shut off early so you’ll be clicking every gallon.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You really don’t want to go after the first click off. It bothers the hell out of Evap. Its not a one and done thing, but if its a habit, it will lead to earlier failures of that component because it “burps” the expanding fuel not just the vapors. And a clogged evap just triggers the pump to shut off early so you’ll be clicking every gallon.
They click off way early - the pumps around here have hellish flow rates.
Sometimes all I have to do is wait 10 seconds and pull again and get another half gallon in before it clicks off again.
These are shoving gas into the tank at a crazy rate so kick off with plenty of space. I notice it even on my gas cans. The fuel in the tank is churning and gurgling. Let it settle down.

I found that if I simply run the pump nozzle on the lowest latch setting it gets more in that way because it's not churning the fuel up so much. Slower always gets more in. (and better because it doesn't kick back out of the fill opening)
Because every station is miles away from me, I always use at least 1/2 to 3/4 gallon back out of it before my next stop- usually home.

I've seen the canisters with the swollen pellets - they really swell up.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I've not let my Gladiator get much below half a tank. I just don't like letting it get low. I drove it home from Austin to Dallas without filling up, and it had a quarter tank in it when I got back. That's the furthest I've let it go down.
Sponsored