Opening tonneau cover set off alarm?

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
So I work on film sets as a medic who also does food for cast and crew. Tomorrow the plan was to do smoked hotdogs. The buns and wood pellets for the smoker are in the bed of the Gladiator parked at home. As we pulled onto the highway (point of not return) I realized I’ve left both sets of the FOB for the Jeep in my work truck on set. The tonneau cover as we know on the LE can be lifted and opened without lowering the tailgate. If I peel it back, will this set off the alarm to the Jeep? Thanks! If it doesn’t it will save me time from having to run to the store in the morning to get more buns and wood pellets.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
So I work on film sets as a medic who also does food for cast and crew. Tomorrow the plan was to do smoked hotdogs. The buns and wood pellets for the smoker are in the bed of the Gladiator parked at home. As we pulled onto the highway (point of not return) I realized I’ve left both sets of the FOB for the Jeep in my work truck on set. The tonneau cover as we know on the LE can be lifted and opened without lowering the tailgate. If I peel it back, will this set off the alarm to the Jeep? Thanks! If it doesn’t it will save me time from having to run to the store in the morning to get more buns and wood pellets.
All good. Got into my Jeep no problem. However, just made me realize just how easy it would be for a would be thief to clean out the entirety of contents of the bed of the Gladiator with the stock tonneau cover.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
All good. Got into my Jeep no problem. However, just made me realize just how easy it would be for a would be thief to clean out the entirety of contents of the bed of the Gladiator with the stock tonneau cover.
That is why I didn’t buy the stock tonneau, but ordered at Diamondback SE.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have a convertible, almost never locked it because I would rather someone open the door to take something instead of cutting the top. Unless the tonneau is hard, locking it only stops those unwilling to cut into it.

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Came with the Launch Edition...which in retrospect I think was an oversight that it doesn’t lock down. One thing to take a knife to it and slice it open, and another to just roll it back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
I used to have a convertible, almost never locked it because I would rather someone open the door to take something instead of cutting the top. Unless the tonneau is hard, locking it only stops those unwilling to cut into it.
True enough! Waiting for some sort of canopy I like or a hard locking tonneau.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
If the tailgate is locked you cannot roll it back. It would have to be cut.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Well, it can be forced up over the tailgate and the rolled back, using a short pry or jimmy bar. But very hard to do with just your hands...
Cheers

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Yes, that I why I took mine off and bought the Rugged Ridge Armis Line-X folding cover after I did my rear bed Molle install with my 4 Wheeling tools.
No, the stock soft tonneau is just a press fit, you can pull it up with the tailgate up. However, there is mod that I did with a "gate hook" from Lowe's which allows you to lock it down into one of the holes in the bed on each side. It works pretty good. You can find it with a search. Sometimes it will vibrate out when you are wheeling, but, if you check it before you leave your truck, you can make it so they have to cut the tonneau to get in. It is two gate hooks on each side that slide into one of the existing holes in the bed... I have since switched to a tri-fold tonneau for added security, but, I would recommend the mod to anyone concerned about security of the stock tonneau cover.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Can you post a photo showing the gate hook installed? Thanks

Sponsored

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I am not sure what factory covers you all got but when my cover is closed and my tailgate is locked, you cannot just open it up and roll it back. I have tried and tested that because I was worried about that. Now if you took a pry bar or jimmy stick and forced it open the you could but then again if I had a pry bar I could get into just about any type cover. This is just my experience with the factory tonneau cover I have. I am pleasantly pleased with the look and how its function.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Can you post a photo showing the gate hook installed? Thanks
Here you go. My stock soft tonneau is already off my Gladiator, so, here are some pics of it. I painted the gate hook black which was a mistake. You have to drill through that tonneau support bracket and screw in the gate hook until it is just the right length to fit into the hole in the bed.. Put a piece of wood between the cloth and the support, so, you do not drill through the Tonneau cover cloth.

5RKceA.jpg

H5OU6Z.jpg

kjPW67.jpg

Here is a link to one of the original install threads of this "gate Lock" solution

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ver-to-actually-lock.19118/page-6#post-363300

Last edited:

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
Here you go. My stock soft tonneau is already off my Gladiator, so, here are some pics of it. I painted the gate hook black which was a mistake. You have to drill through that tonneau support bracket and screw in the gate hook until it is just the right length to fit into the hole in the bed.. Put a piece of wood between the cloth and the support, so, you do not drill through the Tonneau cover cloth.

5RKceA.jpg

H5OU6Z.jpg

kjPW67.jpg
That is a great idea. I also love the diamond back covers because of how stout they are. I just didn't want a hard cover for me personally on my JT. To the OP, If you can just pop your cover open and roll it up so easy, maybe you should opt for some of these other choices out there like the diamond back.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
The factory cover? You can roll it back, it is just very tight fit against the tailgate, but if you pull hard enough it will come up and you can roll it back without opening the tailgate.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Sorry gang, you must have a different oem cover. When my tail gate is up, but not locked you can open the cover. However, when the tailgate is up and locked, the tonneau cover is locked.
Sponsored