First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ruby
Occupation
Director
I recently bought a 2020 Jeep Gladiator and I bought an ARB 101 quart fridge. I took it to a Jeep shop and they said I would be fine to hook it up to my Jeep battery, which they did with a 50amp line. This fridge has 3 settings to control when it shuts off based on remaining juice in the battery - hi, med, low - indicating that as an example, when set to low, it will shut off when the Jeep battery is very low. I've found that when I leave it set to low, it drains the battery to ~11volts, and I need to jump the Jeep to start it when the fridge is left on overnight. When set to med, the fridge shuts off in the middle of the night and warms up both containers to about 45 degrees (at least that is what they were when I checked) displaying an error code that the Jeep battery is too low.

My question is how should I properly be powering this fridge and other accessories. I purchased a genesis dual battery kit off Amazon and figured I would get a second battery, but the Jeep shop that connected my fridge in the first place said that they thought it would be the same result, I'd just have two batteries - but the fridge would still be draining the same amount of juice, just in this case from the secondary battery. That's how it's supposed to work right? I watched an install video that mentioned getting a 25 group deep cycle battery for the accessories, because this handles being drained low like this, whereas a typical ignition supporting battery is not designed to be drained in that way. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Gaitero

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Toyota T100, 2020 Honda Civic Si, 66-77 Bronco replica project truck
Occupation
marine mechanic/electrician/fabricator
I recently bought a 2020 Jeep Gladiator and I bought an ARB 101 quart fridge. I took it to a Jeep shop and they said I would be fine to hook it up to my Jeep battery, which they did with a 50amp line. This fridge has 3 settings to control when it shuts off based on remaining juice in the battery - hi, med, low - indicating that as an example, when set to low, it will shut off when the Jeep battery is very low. I've found that when I leave it set to low, it drains the battery to ~11volts, and I need to jump the Jeep to start it when the fridge is left on overnight. When set to med, the fridge shuts off in the middle of the night and warms up both containers to about 45 degrees (at least that is what they were when I checked) displaying an error code that the Jeep battery is too low.

My question is how should I properly be powering this fridge and other accessories. I purchased a genesis dual battery kit off Amazon and figured I would get a second battery, but the Jeep shop that connected my fridge in the first place said that they thought it would be the same result, I'd just have two batteries - but the fridge would still be draining the same amount of juice, just in this case from the secondary battery. That's how it's supposed to work right? I watched an install video that mentioned getting a 25 group deep cycle battery for the accessories, because this handles being drained low like this, whereas a typical ignition supporting battery is not designed to be drained in that way. Any feedback would be appreciated.
1) Using the Genesis dual battery system is an excellent idea so that the refrigerator is not powered by your starting battery.
2) The Odyssey batteries that Genesis sells are pricy, but typically have twice the service life compared with the "maintenance free" batteries commonly used in vehicles. They also tolerate deep cycling very well.
3) I don't have personal experience with portable refrigerators, but if the power consumption figures that ARB provides aren't too optimistic, then overnight operation should not kill your battery. Your experience may indicate that the battery in your Gladiator is not very robust, or your usage of the refrigerator is not very efficient. There are several online articles discussing how to improve the efficiency of portable refrigerators such as cooling the refrigerator ahead of time (by plugging it in at home a day ahead), not using it to cool food (avoid putting room temperature food or drinks in it), making sure it has adequate ventilation (nothing blocking the vents on the refrigerator), keeping it full (which may mean having bottles or jugs of water to fill unused space), and minimizing how often it's opened and making sure the lid is completely closed (good luck if you have children).

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
From my limited understanding, you should not be using your starter battery for the fridge and accessories. A dual battery system with a deep cycle 2nd battery is one way to go. I have a dual battery setup in my 4runner that will run my fridge for almost 3 days. It's an optima group 31 blue top with 7Ah. The alternator will charge it when the car is running. It disconnects from the starter battery when the engine is off. You can also look into solar charger systems.

edit: that's 75Ah, not 7Ah. 7Ah is not going to last you very long.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Genesis kit uses a battery Isolator that allows both to be charged and used, but keeps the starter battery from being drained. If something happens and the starter battery becomes low, it allows the auxiliary battery to be used to start it.

The Isolator is available for anyone that wants to provide their own dual battery solution.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LMGPHW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dujqFbRWJM9XN

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've had fridges from different manufacturers and of varying sizes in my vehicles for at least 20 years and have powered them in different ways. I've never run one from the main vehicle battery and would not even consider doing so. As you discovered, fridges can be finicky when it comes to power supplies. If a "Jeep shop" was telling you to run your fridge from the main battery, I'd find another shop. I had a non-Genesis dual battery system in the TJ and a Genesis/Odyssey system in the JK. Both worked great. Deep Cycle batteries are a must. In a few pickups, I used a portable ArkPak with a Battle Born 100Ah LiFePO4 battery. That was also a great system...though the battery is over $900. I still have the ArkPak/Battle Born setup but am no longer using it. I'm now powering a relatively small fridge with Dometic's PLB40 Lithium battery pack which has, so far, worked great. It's small and lightweight, and can easily be charged while running the vehicle. The advantage to using portable battery packs is that they can be transferred between vehicles.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
This is what I have on my 4runner for about 10 years now. It's been flawless. It can also self jump if needed. http://ibs-tech.ch/en/products/dual-battery-system/ibs-dbs.html

For the gladiator, I've ordered a smallish solar charger, Bluetti AC50s and the accompanying 120w solar panel. It's a 45Ah battery that's supposed to be able to charge in about 5-6 hours. With pass through charging I should be able to run it indefinitely, hoepfully. Not sure how well this will work but it's nice to be able to move it for vehicle to vehicle.
Sponsored