maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Any canoeists or kayakers here?

How are you planning on transporting your canoe or kayak on your JL?

My JLUR will be my first Wrangler and I'm just starting my research on how to carry my 12' kayak and 16' canoe.

I bought a hardtop and can probably strap it down for now but I'm hoping to find a more permanent solution.

Obligatory pic of some kayaking in the Canadian Rockies.

kayak2-bow.jpg
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Mopar is offering a roof rack that is supposed to bolt to the hard top, you should see if that would work for you

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Aftermarket is this right now for roof racks but Mopar plans to sell one. If you look at what's out there for the JK chances are similar systems will come for the JL because it is a big thing to have in overlanding but it will take time for them to come out

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Any canoeists or kayakers here?

How are you planning on transporting your canoe or kayak on your JL?

My JLUR will be my first Wrangler and I'm just starting my research on how to carry my 12' kayak and 16' canoe.

I bought a hardtop and can probably strap it down for now but I'm hoping to find a more permanent solution.

Obligatory pic of some kayaking in the Canadian Rockies.

kayak2-bow.jpg
Beautiful pic man !
Hopefully some day we’ll be coming to see these beauties ! ( I live in Ottawa and we’d love to see the west !)

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Thanks for the replies. I noticed that Mopar had a removable roof rack but it stated that it wasn't recommended for canoes. I remember seeing racks for the JK and I think they required the installation of reinforcement panels in the hardtop.

Beautiful pic man !
Hopefully some day we’ll be coming to see these beauties ! ( I live in Ottawa and we’d love to see the west !)
You should come over! I regularly drive between the Rockies and my hometown of Toronto. It's only 3 long days but definitely worthwhile.

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Rhino rack is working on backbone system for JL.... I am waiting for it so I can mount my pioneer platform on my JL.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
If this help you I use this system rhinorack for the hard top and rhino t bar to load the kayak this is for a JKU .
Maybe rhinorack will update soon their product to fit the JLU
The kayak is 13FT....
That looks pretty good.

I'm just hoping it won't be too difficult placing a heavy Royalex canoe up so high. I might need to work out while I wait for my JLUR.

Beautiful pictures, BTW. I've never been to New Zealand but from what I've seen, it looks similar to our Rockies with its glaciated peaks. But not having to worry about bumping into a grizzly bear must be nice.

KCVS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura and JLUR in KZ
Heading down to FL at the end of March, and was thinking I may just pick up a pair of the foam blocks and set directly on the hard top. That will work for now, but will be a pain after a 20-30 mile day, and is not a long term solution.

Thule's gutter mount is rated to hold cross bars, cradles, and two 18' P&H yaks. That being said, risking $5k in fiberglass crashing down, on top of whatever a hardtop replacement would cost would be, leaves me worried about a strong crosswind at highway speeds.

The rack n roll seems nice, but I am in Chicago... I either wont find a spot big enough for a JLUR+ trailer, or the trailer may be gone when I get back.

Backbone may be a legitimate contender.

In any case, I would be interested in how everyone approaches this.

Shot from our 7 day island hopping trip in the Apostles last year.
AI17.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak {filename}

Sponsored

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have the same question. I am looking at the Maximus-3 Long Platform Roof Rack which uses the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. My hope was to get the rail kit on the Pioneer Platform and use my same Yakima saddles and Hully Rollers that I currently use on my truck on the front a rear rails. However, I the Yakima mounts won't fit the rails and I can't find any other kayak mounts that will fit on the rails. Rhino Rack has the Nautic 581 Kayak Carrier option that you can mount on crossover bars that mount to the Pioneer Platform but I don't think you can use the rail kit then because the rails will be higher than the kayak carrier.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Since you have a kayak and canoe, suggest buying aftermarket gutter mounted racks with crossbars long enough to carry both. The crossbars on the OEM rack are not long enough.

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
I plan on modifying a boat trailer that I already own but am currently am not using.
I will weld up some custom mounts for my 17’ Grumman and also set it up for hauling our kayaks and paddle boards when needed.
Also it should come in handy when needing to haul lumber for home projects.
I realize a trailer isn’t always ideal but it is a pretty petite boat trailer and should work well for any of the places I plan to go.
Sponsored