Sponsored

Oracle Flush Mount Tail Lights cracking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I had the Oracle Lights installed on the Gladiator about a month ago. I've read about the over-tightening issues on this forum and made sure to barely tighten the two screws. Everything worked great until few days ago when the driver side just popped out on the freeway while doing 90 mph (don't tell the cops) Basically, the post holding the screws broke off completely. To make matters worse, Oracle won't replace them claiming that the screws were over-tightened! I'll be calling my credit card company shortly refusing the charges for the lights. I'm still going to be out $300+ for purchasing the tazer to make them work which I really didn't need for anything else. In the meantime, curious if anyone else had similar problems with these lights.
Sponsored

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
I had the Oracle Lights installed on the Gladiator about a month ago. I've read about the over-tightening issues on this forum and made sure to barely tighten the two screws. Everything worked great until few days ago when the driver side just popped out on the freeway while doing 90 mph (don't tell the cops) Basically, the post holding the screws broke off completely. To make matters worse, Oracle won't replace them claiming that the screws were over-tightened! I'll be calling my credit card company shortly refusing the charges for the lights. I'm still going to be out $300+ for purchasing the tazer to make them work which I really didn't need for anything else. In the meantime, curious if anyone else had similar problems with these lights.
I am sorry to see that this happened and please know Oracle sympathizes with you regarding this occurrence. Unfortunately we have only seen the plastic break when the bolts are overtightened. This can cause small stress fractures in the plastic which will cause it to break over time from vibration.

If you still have the pieces that broke off, you can epoxy them back to the light. Use of a strong bonding epoxy such as JB weld or panel bond will effectively hold these together.

I understand you may not like the response, unfortunately we can not warranty something that is not a defect.I do however have side replacements I may be able to sell to you if you would like to replace the one side for a heavily discounted cost.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and I am happy to assist you. I hope we can work together to resolve your concern.

-Melissa Boudreaux
Sales Manager

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Telecom
All the posts broke?

OP
OP
bigcheeshead

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I am sorry to see that this happened and please know Oracle sympathizes with you regarding this occurrence. Unfortunately we have only seen the plastic break when the bolts are overtightened. This can cause small stress fractures in the plastic which will cause it to break over time from vibration.

If you still have the pieces that broke off, you can epoxy them back to the light. Use of a strong bonding epoxy such as JB weld or panel bond will effectively hold these together.

I understand you may not like the response, unfortunately we can not warranty something that is not a defect.I do however have side replacements I may be able to sell to you if you would like to replace the one side for a heavily discounted cost.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and I am happy to assist you. I hope we can work together to resolve your concern.

-Melissa Boudreaux
Sales Manager
Offering to sell me a replacement for a product that's less than a month old and effectively calling your customer a liar is not an acceptable solution!!!

To clarify, according to your statement, it is a common problem with the product but it's not a product defect because every person that experienced this issue freely admitted to overtightening the screws or do you have other scientific methods of proving your theory?

I do agree with you @ORACLElights. This is not a manufacturing defect. Rather it’s either a design flaw OR a brilliantly engineered way to ensure recurring revenue stream by charging your customers for replacement of these lights years into the future.

This is completely contradictory to Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act stating: “such warrantor must as a minimum remedy such consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written warranty;”

Since you are unable to provide torquing specs or a scientific explanation behind this problem, I’ve decided to take a stab at it. The walls of the posts are only 1.3 mm think and are not reinforced or connected to anything on the sides. That’s right, 1.3 mm of thin plastic is all that’s holding the 5+ pound lights to the body of the Jeep through high speeds and vibrations of offroad. On top of that, the lights are not flush with the body leaving a huge gap for the wind to get inside and rattle the entire assembly. Over torquing, under torquing or just right torquing has nothing to do with it! In comparison, walls on OEM lights are over 5 mm thick and connected to the rest of the lights assembly on all sides for a nearly indestructible hold.

Good luck to those that have purchased these lights. It’s not a matter of IF but WHEN you will encounter the same issue.

20220506_061328.jpg

20220506_061437.jpg

Last edited:

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I'd be pissed too- their install video shows a guy using a screw gun/drill to install them, yet warning against over-tightening. If over-tightening is such an issue, there's no way I would post a video of a guy using a cordless power tool to install them. Also, how much torque is over-tightening? Unless they can provide a spec, it's a piss poor excuse, IMO. That being said, I'd epoxy in a nylon lock nut where their fragile mounting clip is located, and use a bolt instead of an aluminum clip and sheetmetal screw. Good luck with the situation!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigcheeshead

bigcheeshead

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity
These were tightened by hand and I stopped after encountering the slightest resistance but according to the manufacturer that's too tight. Unfortunately, both posts completely ripped off, see pics below. My guess is that the wind got inside at high speed and just ripped both posts out
Jeep Gladiator Oracle Flush Mount Tail Lights cracking? 20220425_110517

Last edited:

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You've got to be kidding me! Another report of poor-quality product workmanship and unacceptable customer service from Oracle?

Yeah, it appears the list of complaints just keep growing. I was about to pull the trigger on the led integrated skid plate, and decided to hold off after seeing all of the tail light issues. Glad I did.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Only a screwdriver was used to install these and I literally stopped after encountering the slightest resistance but according to the manufacturer that's too tight. Unfortunately, both posts completely ripped off, see pics below. My guess is that the wind got inside at high speed and just ripped both posts out
Sounds like their torque spec is 0.001 inch-ounces. I hope your credit card company takes care if it.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I broke a factory tail light last week, and briefly considered these because they’re reasonably priced. But first I called them to ask if the issues have been resolved. They said most people do have issues, but a Tazer will fix it, and they don’t know what the problem is. What got me is that they blamed the problem on how the JT is wired. My response was simple. If it’s got a wiring problem, why do the oem lights work fine? Their aftermarket parts just aren’t designed to work as a seamless replacement. And now they’re not structurally strong either? I have one of their other products and have been a lucky one so far, but will not buy another product of theirs, ever. They’re rushing things to market that aren’t tested well enough, and then don’t stand behind their products when they fail. @ORACLElights, you should be embarrassed, mostly by how you treat your customers.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase

-Melissa Boudreaux
Sales Manager
This response has guaranteed I will never buy anything from your company
and on top of that
I will actively warn everyone looking for lights to stay away from you.

I have seen how many issues your headlights have.

As an outsider, it just looks like you make subpar products and don't support your poor quality.

OP fight this via credit card company. Their response won't hold up
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.