ordering a 2021 vs a 2022

chsapeak

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel Rubicon Stingray
So considering the possibility that there will not be an earth tone color release in 2022 models, I'm considering just ordering a 2021 and grabbing up any incentives which may not be there with the "new" release. Currently I'm driving 2020 Rubicon Gator which I love the color, but really want a diesel. My first reluctance was the fact that I would have a year old truck the day the 2022's are released and the value may reflect that, resulting in a "loss" So this morning I decided to try something and projected future value of two vehicles, same options same mileage, only a year apart in models. For this I plugged in a 2020 with 13,000 miles (mine) vs a 2021 with the same. I was very surprised to see trade in value was separated by $85. That's crazy to me, I guess the "older" truck with low miles makes up for the year difference. So in theory if there's multiple incentives out there to move the 2021 stock, you may make out in the long run to grab one today even if it means ordering the right vehicle from the factory. If I only knew for sure there wasn't going to be a Gator or Mojave Sand tone color in 2022.....
Sponsored

SeanKenmore

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Biotech
So considering the possibility that there will not be an earth tone color release in 2022 models, I'm considering just ordering a 2021 and grabbing up any incentives which may not be there with the "new" release. Currently I'm driving 2020 Rubicon Gator which I love the color, but really want a diesel. My first reluctance was the fact that I would have a year old truck the day the 2022's are released and the value may reflect that, resulting in a "loss" So this morning I decided to try something and projected future value of two vehicles, same options same mileage, only a year apart in models. For this I plugged in a 2020 with 13,000 miles (mine) vs a 2021 with the same. I was very surprised to see trade in value was separated by $85. That's crazy to me, I guess the "older" truck with low miles makes up for the year difference. So in theory if there's multiple incentives out there to move the 2021 stock, you may make out in the long run to grab one today even if it means ordering the right vehicle from the factory. If I only knew for sure there wasn't going to be a Gator or Mojave Sand tone color in 2022.....
I agree it is mileage that is the top most factor in determining the vehicle resale value. Just so that you know Gator color and Gobi color have already been discontinued on Gladiator 2021 model.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with your assessment. As someone who used to sell cars, I would play these games with the NADA used car book when trying to figure out the value of a given trade.

When you add in for low miles on 1 year older car, the value was typically less than $500.

Bug Guts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I was going to wait for a '22, but then they offered Gecko paint. I wanted a gecko JK badly when they came out, but couldn't afford it at the time. I feel like I'll regret not pulling the trigger on a gecko gladiator, so I'm dropping off my deposit for a '21 tomorrow.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
There are a lot of used Gladiators sitting on lots in Florida priced at nearly the same price as new ones.... so they've been sitting there a long time. Jeep has evidently made a commitment to build these through the chip shortage and I see new ones coming in all the time. I think the used car sales don't understand that the 'shortage' is not really across the board it is by type.

Sponsored

KyleMNWI

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Tucson LMAO
So can you not buy Gobi tan color anymore? If so, why did they remove it? Limited run or not selling?

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
So can you not buy Gobi tan color anymore? If so, why did they remove it? Limited run or not selling?
You can't order one anymore, but you may still find one on a lot. Aside from black, white, gray*, and red Jeep seems to rotate all the other colors pretty frequently. There is often one non-red bright color and one earth tone, but even that isn't guaranteed.

*Unbelievably to me there are three different silver/grays, but I guess that's what their research is telling them sells. Personally I don't think too many people are saying "I can get billet silver or sting gray but not the other gray, so screw it, I'm getting a Bronco...", but it is what it is...

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
There are a lot of used Gladiators sitting on lots in Florida priced at nearly the same price as new ones.... so they've been sitting there a long time. Jeep has evidently made a commitment to build these through the chip shortage and I see new ones coming in all the time. I think the used car sales don't understand that the 'shortage' is not really across the board it is by type.
It's a crazy market. I have a 21 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel on order and for shits and giggles I did a KBB value for the same specs with 1k miles. Dealer trade in is worth more than my purchase price...
Sponsored