Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
As I'm of the opinion that these will not be sitting on a lot for long, I'm considering the "order my own, asap" route if it lives up to the hype. I've never ordered a vehicle, every time I've purchased new I was taking something from the lot. Do you lose much negotiation room when you're just going in and telling them what you want and then waiting for it to be delivered? Or, can deals still be had?
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
You can likely negotiate a lower price on one you order, as it should not count toward the dealer’s allotment. Additionally, it shows that you are willing to wait for what you want and not desperately looking for one available now. JLs have been ordered for 5%-6% under invoice.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
As I'm of the opinion that these will not be sitting on a lot for long, I'm considering the "order my own, asap" route if it lives up to the hype. I've never ordered a vehicle, every time I've purchased new I was taking something from the lot. Do you lose much negotiation room when you're just going in and telling them what you want and then waiting for it to be delivered? Or, can deals still be had?
Agree with Renegade. Be prepared to wait, but get what you want.

Edit: and for the price you want...

Last edited:
OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks guys, that makes sense. I was concerned that they would view the order as a "this guy is desperate" or "this guy isn't worried about getting a deal" and basically take as much money as I was prepared to give them.

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dragonfly JTR 6spd
"This vehicle is specially built for eternus [name on order]" Is printed on the OEM sticker.

Sponsored

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
I ordered my 2018 Willys on June 9th as a 2017. About three weeks later I got my VIN for a 2018 Willys! I drove it off the lot on October 21st. They will send you an e-mail so you can follow the build. It’s was fun!

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
"This vehicle is specially built for eternus [name on order]" Is printed on the OEM sticker.
I'd be lying if I said that didn't sound pretty awesome.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
Special order is definitely the way to go. Many dealerships will give much better deals on orders, as they don't count towards their allotment and they get to keep the full holdback without applying anything to interest. Make sure you search around for the best dealers (Dennis Dillon in Idaho is the closest to you I know of) that give 10-13% off of MSRP. They'll eventually show up here, but they're all over the JLForum.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Part of the reason I want to factory order mine. From what I spoke about with my dealer they will give a nice discount on factory ordering one around 5-6% off invoice. Definitely not crazy like Dennis Dillon, but I am also in Florida and have a trade-in. Would be a fun road trip though lol.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
...a nice discount on factory ordering one around 5-6% off invoice.
5-6% off invoice is still pretty good, remember that MSRP is usually quite a bit more than invoice. I'm curious what Dennis Dillon's numbers look like off invoice... I'm in CO so that road trip isn't completely absurd. That being said, I would really like to keep as much of my money in my local community as possible. So... we'll see how that works out.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my JKU for Orange Coast Jeep in Costa Mesa, CA when I lived in Vegas, I got it for 6% below invoice but I also had the Tread Lightly discount. It took them 6 weeks to build and was the easiest purchase I ever did. I never even set foot in the dealership.

Now that Im in Idaho I'll probably just order one from Dennis Dillon.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I ordered my JKU for Orange Coast Jeep in Costa Mesa, CA when I lived in Vegas, I got it for 6% below invoice but I also had the Tread Lightly discount. It took them 6 weeks to build and was the easiest purchase I ever did. I never even set foot in the dealership.

Now that Im in Idaho I'll probably just order one from Dennis Dillon.
Thanks for confirming the simplicity. Now I'm trying the "6% below invoice" as it relates to the MSRP. I'd love to go through my local dealer vs having to drive all the way up to Dillon's lot... and if ordering means it's not affected by their inventory then it seems ANYONE could get the 6% below invoice... not just Dillon.

Does anyone have a recent MSRP vs Invoice quote for a recent Rubicon purchase?

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I just put in my order for the 100 year-anniversary Wrangler. I figured if I get the ball rolling now they'll have 23 years to get their shit together and I'll be able to save $5000/year until then so I can pay cash for it.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I just put in my order for the 100 year-anniversary Wrangler. I figured if I get the ball rolling now they'll have 23 years to get their shit together and I'll be able to save $5000/year until then so I can pay cash for it.
$5000 a year X 23 years seems about right if current price trend continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Consider this though, being it's a brand new model that everyone wants the dealers could hike the price like they did on the Demons and the Miatas when they first came out.
Sponsored