Overland Axe? 28" or 36"

1. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
    Liked:
    i'm not much of an axe guy, but if i'm making my jeep look the part, and intend to actually use it for overlanding.

What axe length should i get a 28" or 36" I'm 5'7".

2. Up venture

Up venture Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I don't overland but I have a 23.5" fiskar axe I keep either in the truck or in the Ranger. I use it camping, brushing our deer blinds, cleaning up trails, and splitting kindling. I have had no issue cutting trees 4-6" around. I suppose it could be a bit longer but its been reliable and stores easy.

The 28 would probably fine if you are looking to split large hardwood go for the longer one.

3. bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    I I'd go with the 28" at least until you hit puberty and get that growth spurt

ETA :bandit:

steffen707 and Jeepdude413 like this.
  4. Rex3rd

Rex3rd Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rex
    Vehicle(s):
    06 Pontiac GTO
    Liked:
    Lol

41R2GM7.jpg

steffen707 likes this.
  5. bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
  6. bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    LOL, is that the dude from the Diesel Bros show?

7. Rex3rd

Rex3rd Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rex
    Vehicle(s):
    06 Pontiac GTO
    Liked:
    Not sure.i googled midget with axe and this is what showed up lol

steffen707 likes this.
  8. bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    diesel bro.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
    Liked:
    is your fiskars a splitting axe to chop wood or a felling axe to cut trees down?

10. OP
    OP
    steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I have no idea if its more preferable to have a splitting axe that may be used to cut a whole tree down, or to have a felling axe that can also chop wood.......

11. bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    If you are looking to process firewood, clear obstructions and generally manage downfalls, a folding saw like the Silky Big Boy XL 2000 http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Curved_2/Bigboy-2000-XL-Teeth#sthash.HaT3IlwR.dpbs is a far safer , more efficient device than any axe/hatchet.

Safety is tantamount to all other concerns when you are away from emergency services. ANY, and I do mean ANY device intended for chopping brings with it the very high likelihood of a fuck up. In addition to that the calories expended are significantly higher with any chopping device than a saw.

Yes it lacks the satisfaction of wailing on shit, get over it , it is more effective at what you need it for.

Matstock4 and steffen707 like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    awesome reply. Thank you. I'll keep this in mind.

13. bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    I figured I better produce some meaningful content before I get banned. :)

I carry a Big Boy on my tractor all the time, for anything under 4" I rarely get out the chain saw. If you are thinking that you will be felling trees or managing large down trees then an axe is a better choice.

I'll be taking my Milwaukee M18 fuel Hacksawzall. It is a powerful , lightweight device that will allow me to cut metal,wood,plastic. Blades are inexpensive and prolific, available in a variety of lengths and tooth pitch for different materials. Absolutely the most useful hand power tool I've ever owned. I've cut the tail wheel off of a bush hog and pruned limbs with it on the same day.

steffen707 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    i don't own the hackszall, but i have an m18 sawzall and the m18 chainsaw now. :involve:

I think i'll pickup one of those Big Boys and a smaller 17" splitting axe for small firewood kindling type things, but I suppose I could bring the chainsaw, sawzall or BOTH on my adventures of Paul Bunyoning.....I'm sure i'll quickly realize I don't need all that sh*t. =)

15. bgenlvtex

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    The Silky saws are available with different teeth for different wood, each with a different colored handle. The one I have has the orange handle, and it is also the only one with a curved blade. That is very handy when undercutting something laying on the ground. They make a variety of other saws as well, and all are reasonably priced for the quality.

I have managed to find myself locked behind a gate twice in my life without the ability to call someone to let me out. So when I head out on our adventure commute, I will definitely take the sawzall. It will quickly process wood for cmap fires, and if I need it to clear a damaged body panel or whatever. Neither of those will do what a chainsaw will, but no fuel/oil and saves space.

steffen707 likes this.