Overland Brake rotor and caliper

wallacems8846

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hi everyone, I am considering whether I need to upgrade the brakes from stock to a power stop brake kit or not. I do know they are large rotors and calipers. The 18x7.5 wheels that come stock on my overland are almost filled up on the inner diameter less about maybe just under an inch from the caliper to the inner diameter wall. I was planning on going 17x9 tire/wheel upgrade and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with fitment due to the caliper. It seems like the gladiators already come with a big brake kit of sorts minus nicer pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Does anyone know if the gladiator bigger brake rotors would be fine with larger tires?
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
All other trim levels come with 17” wheels and to my knowledge the brakes on the Overland are the same size as the other models so you will be fine moving down to 17” wheels.

Tire size has no bearing on wether or not there will be any interference with the brake calipers.

OP
OP

wallacems8846

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
All other trim levels come with 17” wheels and to my knowledge the brakes on the Overland are the same size as the other models so you will be fine moving down to 17” wheels.

Tire size has no bearing on wether or not there will be any interference with the brake calipers.

Sorry I meant wheels and not tires on the last part there, but thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I think these rotors are larger than what you would find on a JK so I should be good. If not I will change them to powerstop. When I went to 35's on my jeep JK and was doing a lot of wheeling in SOCAL....it is also super hot there. My rotors were warping. I also have bad braking habits too which do not help.but thank you for the response.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I also had 35s on a jk sport. The gladiator brakes are much improved (larger) and the brake lock differential stability control and traction control are much smoother and will aid in brake/pad life. I can barely tell the esc is working in the snow until I use my tazer to turn it off then it's immediately apparent .

All that crap uses the brakes modulated to control the vehicle and adds wear.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
yes all Gladiators have HD Brakes bigger than wranglers my overland now has 17" wheels with no issues. i measured the rear rotor & its 14"
Sponsored