Sponsored

Overland in bed drawer system, which would you prefer?

Which drawer option would you prefer?

• OPTION 4: 1 Drawer roughly 58" deep and 30" wide 21 gallon water tank in bed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
upload_2019-11-23_21-57-48.png

I'm going to build a custom set of drawers, or drawer with an in bed water tank. The top of the deck will be 7" so that I can use the mid position of the tailgate to haul PLYWOOD still. So the drawers will be about 6.125" tall.
I plan to build in an air compressor, water pump and a small electric panel for 120V, 12V and some cellphone plugs. Also I'll have to adjust everything as I get all of the pumps sizes and whatnot.

For the time being don't worry about the weight of the boxes or the bearings/drawer slides. Just wondering what your opinions are on the drawer sizes and water tank question below. AND KEEP IN MIND, YOU CAN ADD INTERNAL DIVIDERS TO A WIDE DRAWER.....Thanks.

my only concern is with options 3-4 the water tank is so long, i wonder if sloshing around (if no internal baffles) will be a problem. Any ideas?

OPTION 1: Water tank E is roughly 18" deep and 40" wide, drawers B&C are 39" deep and 20" wide
upload_2019-11-23_22-5-25.png

OPTION 2: Water tank E is roughly 18" deep and 40" wide, drawer B is 39" deep and 44" wide

upload_2019-11-23_22-6-53.png

OPTION 3 Water tank E is roughly 18" wide and 53" deep, drawers B&C are 58" deep and 13" wide
upload_2019-11-23_22-9-56.png

OPTION 4 Water tank E is roughly 18" wide and 53" deep, drawer B is 58" deep and 26" wide
upload_2019-11-23_22-11-20.png

OPTION 5: 2 DAWERS ROUGHLY 42" DEEP AND 30" WIDE AND 14" WIDE WITH A 9 GALLON WATER TANK IN THE BED
upload_2019-11-24_11-56-34.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I reference to your water tank, how easy will be cleaning and draining plus sanitizing will the tank be? The plumbing for water draw from the tank where will the valve be? Water is great but if not easy to clean, access or be a assets it will be worthless on the trail. Will water discharge be gravity flow,hand pump or electric pump?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm actually thinking of going with option 4 and designing it in such a way that water tank E can be installed, or removed pretty easily, when removed another drawer 18" wide and 59" deep can take its place.

How's that for MODULAR @ralphjjr and @Bobs85Reny?
upload_2019-11-23_22-11-20-png.png

I reference to your water tank, how easy will be cleaning and draining plus sanitizing will the tank be? The plumbing for water draw from the tank where will the valve be? Water is great but if not easy to clean, access or be a assets it will be worthless on the trail.
i think options 3-4 would be much easier to pull the tank out, but RV owners have to be able to clean their tanks without pulling them out.

a quick google search there's tons of videos on youtube explaining how to do it with bleach or other chemical solution.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
A gallon of water, even though you "don't want to deal with weight just yet," is 8.34 lbs. X 21 = 175 lbs. Your Leased Sport S without max tow package has a "Carrying Capacity of what Steffen ? Go check the Driver side door panel ! THAT Number includes ANYTHING & EVERYONE that sits IN or on the Truck . total up the 2 kids the wife You and don't forget your new furry friend + all the "belongings" you'll be carrying to the Camp Site (?) or . . . ! Try to get a baffled water tank that is broader than it is tall and Center it as best you can - I suggest putting the water tank Closest to the Floor of the Bed - lower center of gravity . Of course when it is empty the opposite e will be true ! Ah, such problems we create for ourselves . . . FUN TIMES ! Good Luck bro ! :whew: :like:

Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
Option 1 or 2 would give you’d the best weight distribution and location to vary the load of water, it would also allow you to have the shorter and cheaper drawer slides, with a more flexible drawer dimension.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Option 1 or 2 would give you’d the best weight distribution and location to vary the load of water, it would also allow you to have the shorter and cheaper drawer slides, with a more flexible drawer dimension.
Good points. don't think i'd have many items longer than 40" that would need to go in the drawers.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

The space in one big drawer is more than the two drawers in #1 and there should be less cost for hardware. The water tank is centered and won't make the truck heavier on one side or the other. I have a motorhome and sanitize my tank without having to access it other than the fill and drain spouts.

I'm interested in your project.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
@smlobx , i'd like your input on this please.
Boy...you take your wife out to dinner for a few hours and things blow up on here! Haha!

Steffen I like option 2 for many of the reasons mentioned above. one drawer will definitely give you more storage space and be easier/cheaper to build. If you go that route you’ll want to pay attention to supporting the deck. I would recommend considering using a metal C channel on the leading edge as shown in the picture you posted as well as high quality 3/4” plywood like a 15 ply Baltic birch, NOT what you can buy at your local big box store.

I’m wondering about the size of your water storage tank..looks quite large to me. Bigger than what I’ll be using. I plan on using something like this..

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...-runner-universal-water-tank-67l-17-7gal.html
If you look around they have a couple of sizes as well as mounting brackets, hoses and if you want even a 12 volt pump!

If you remember the drawer system I posted previously they have a hole cut out in the top deck to access the top of the tank. That will make it easier to both fill and disinfect after your trips.
I would use the height of the tank to determine the height of your build which may be more than what you’re thinking about. You can always shim under your tailgate to carry longer items..

‘Great work! Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boy...you take your wife out to dinner for a few hours and things blow up on here! Haha!

Steffen I like option 2 for many of the reasons mentioned above. one drawer will definitely give you more storage space and be easier/cheaper to build. If you go that route you’ll want to pay attention to supporting the deck. I would recommend considering using a metal C channel on the leading edge as shown in the picture you posted as well as high quality 3/4” plywood like a 15 ply Baltic birch, NOT what you can buy at your local big box store.

I’m wondering about the size of your water storage tank..looks quite large to me. Bigger than what I’ll be using. I plan on using something like this..

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...-runner-universal-water-tank-67l-17-7gal.html
If you look around they have a couple of sizes as well as mounting brackets, hoses and if you want even a 12 volt pump!

If you remember the drawer system I posted previously they have a hole cut out in the top deck to access the top of the tank. That will make it easier to both fill and disinfect after your trips.
I would use the height of the tank to determine the height of your build which may be more than what you’re thinking about. You can always shim under your tailgate to carry longer items..

‘Great work! Please keep us posted.
hey man, you liked option 2, but didn't vote for it!

I like these projects because everything is intertwined and makes things complex.

While thinking only about how i'm going to support the drawers, i neglected how am I going to support the deck (which will carry much more weight). Not sure I can pull off the super wide drawer and only be 7" tall. Wish I had the tools/skills to weld aluminum.

The reason why the tank is so big, is the company i was sourcing the tank from only has 8 sizes at 6" tall. This is about the optimal height, so then I still have about 12" of space above the deck but below my tonneau cover. See how everything is intertwined? UGH!

I do remember the holes in the deck, but i'm hoping for no holes and just fill everything from the inlet outlet locations at the tailgate end of the deck.

I've been fixated on this one companies tanks, so i'll check out frontrunneroutfitters and maybe i can find something.

I think maybe my next step should be measuring out LxWxH of objects i want to put in here.........there goes the intertwined issue. One decision affects 5 others!

I really appreciate the insight fellas. I don't mind designing this 4 times, but i don't want to build it 4 times.

Here are some videos that have helped insipre my winter project.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if she only knew the hampster wheel was spinning spinning while she's telling me stories, lol.......j/k she's known me for 24 years :idea:

@smlobx , what size are the water tanks you've been using on your overlanding adventures? I have no idea how much I need. My wife is a camel and drinks like a gallon of water a day......lol

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
high quality 3/4” plywood like a 15 ply Baltic birch, NOT what you can buy at your local big box store.
oh and for others reading this thread, TRUE Baltic Birch ply comes in 5'x5' pieces. If you buy a 4x8 sheet its likely a chineese BS knockoff and not as strong as the real thing. I don't know where i can get that locally, but i'll figure it out. That's another good idea.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OH MAN..... forgot the drawers can only be like 44" wide because of the wheel wells, but the tailgate is 49" wide. need to compensate for that, but it'll actually allow for some of these water/air/electrical connections I think.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Others have summarized my opinions already so I'll try and keep it short. Water is heavy. Even with 18 gallons you are consuming a lot of available payload. Definitely keep it centered and towards the front of the bed. Also, as long as you aren't completely off grid you can re-fill it during a trip. Just food for thought. I also agree that 1 wide drawer will offer more usable cargo space but I don't think it will support the deck enough. For those reasons I voted for option 1.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase