Sponsored

Overland " Quest...ions"

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
New member with a new 2020 Rubicon Gladiator and am glad to be part of this community.
Will be building said Jeep to do some Overlanding, some journeys, soul-searching, history making adventures, and so much more. But first I need help and advice from y'all, in order to return the favor one future day. I believe my first step is installing a bed-rack/tent combo or preferably a pop-up camper over bed. if anyone has suggestions, I would be so thankful. I've searched online and most of these companies will have those camper-step-up-roof-tents ready sometime close to Fall of next year. I'm hoping to start this Quest by Jan. I have high hopes we'll find something soon with y'alls help. Thank you all.
Sponsored

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
Step one. Google roof top tents. Find a reputable tent manufacturer you like, 23 Zero, CVT, FSR, etc. Look for the tent size/ features you like. Should be able to fit up to a 72" tent on a rack over the bed. (With overhang). Can fit a max size tent on a full size rack with it extending over the cab a bit.

Step two, google Jeep Gladiator Racks and find ones you like that can hold the tent you chose.

Step three get out there and overland. Build the rest of your rig based on what you actually need/miss/want while camping.

OP
OP
The Peripatetic Cajun

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Step one. Google roof top tents. Find a reputable tent manufacturer you like, 23 Zero, CVT, FSR, etc. Look for the tent size/ features you like. Should be able to fit up to a 72" tent on a rack over the bed. (With overhang). Can fit a max size tent on a full size rack with it extending over the cab a bit.

Step two, google Jeep Gladiator Racks and find ones you like that can hold the tent you chose.

Step three get out there and overland. Build the rest of your rig based on what you actually need/miss/want while camping.
thanks for the help and advice. I've been calling and emailing (feels like) every company that has those products we mentioned and have gotten some feedback, like I said I am trying my best to find a company that has a pop-up camper that will fit on the bed and will allow me to sleep/rest up top. It seems to best fit my ideal conditions, I know I'll have to forego my trip-fold tonneau cover either way, but having the bed rack I'd have to do the same. I think having the camper-shell with tent entrance from below will give added security, be warmer in colder conditions, make it easier for a variety of task in and out of weather. But there in lies the problem I keep running into, these companies are either: Only available for certain makes and models, 2) are on back order or won't be available until sometime late next year, 3) don't fit properly sans complicated installation and fabrications which take longer than waiting sometimes, or 4) are just concept ideas thus far... With all that being said, I'm still not giving up on the idea, I still have a few more weeks until I have to start my "Quest" and I'm using every minute with hope. Thanks again for the reply!!

expfinn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Personally, I wouldnā€™t rush any modifications or camper purchases. Find your style of off-roading and camping before you go out a make a major purchase. There are literally so many great options but they all are good for a certain purpose. Find your purpose then youā€™ll find the perfect setup for you! Some people love Roof Top Tents, a lot of people donā€™t. Some find pulling a trailer suites them best, others would do absolutely anything to not have to tow. It all depends on what terrain you spend the most time on and creature comforts are a must have.

I really like AluCab products. I find theyā€™re a good mid range between comfort and durability. Another company Iā€™d look into is AT Overland aka Adventure Trailers. They make a couple great camper setups and are one of the OGā€™s in the overland industry in the USA.

OP
OP
The Peripatetic Cajun

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I wouldnā€™t rush any modifications or camper purchases. Find your style of off-roading and camping before you go out a make a major purchase. There are literally so many great options but they all are good for a certain purpose. Find your purpose then youā€™ll find the perfect setup for you! Some people love Roof Top Tents, a lot of people donā€™t. Some find pulling a trailer suites them best, others would do absolutely anything to not have to tow. It all depends on what terrain you spend the most time on and creature comforts are a must have.

I really like AluCab products. I find theyā€™re a good mid range between comfort and durability. Another company Iā€™d look into is AT Overland aka Adventure Trailers. They make a couple great camper setups and are one of the OGā€™s in the overland industry in the USA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Peripatetic Cajun

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the reply! I do like both companies and their products you mentioned. I'm still trying to get some feedback from AT, I think their wait time is at least 2 months and with the holidays coming it could be longer. The way things are and aren't gong I'll be using the bed rack/roof tent option until they come through on a build, or I find a pop-up sooner. It won't be the most ideal set-up for what I want to do especially in the winter and as for security, but I have hope and trust in fellow overlanders. I've had my fair share of break into vehicles, the aftermath is just as bad as the damage it does to one's psyche. Thievery is just horrible. I feel better knowing my goods and food/water is locked up and not easily tampered with, maybe another reason I'm wanting to go with a enclosed system as opposed to a bed-rack and open bed. As for the trailer, I'm considering it. Just wondering if these Off-Road Trailer are all they say they are on Youtube. As I start off on this adventure it'll just be Gladiator, but along the way I'll most likely find a dealership that sells them and look into them and be able to judge in person. Thanks again for your reply!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I used to want an adventure trailer to drag behind my JKR, but check out Expedition Overland's Whipsaw Trail (in BC) video for why I don't think one would work for me. Start at 12:53 if the embedded video link below doesn't.

OP
OP
The Peripatetic Cajun

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to want an adventure trailer to drag behind my JKR, but check out Expedition Overland's Whipsaw Trail (in BC) video for why I don't think one would work for me. Start at 12:53 if the embedded video link below doesn't.

Could definitely use that!!! I wonder if it's a custom built-to-order, drop off vehicle and wait period, or if I could buy and install same day. Will look into those... thanks

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
First, welcome to the forum..

You didnā€™t say what your budget is. As you will soon find out, if you havenā€™t already, is that these set ups can easily run into the tens of thousands of dollars.
You also mentioned security. I also think this is a huge potential concern and for that reason I will not be getting a rack but instead a lockable canopy, in my case an Alu-Cab. I have used these before and feel they are the best choice for me. I ordered it from an outfitter in Asheville and hope to get it next month. It will be one of the first for the Gladiator in the US.

Welcome to the addiction! Weā€™re glad to help you spend your money!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

a JTR would have made that climb without any issue. The front locking diff and the ability to disconnect the front sway bar would have provided much more traction...

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
a JTR would have made that climb without any issue. The front locking diff and the ability to disconnect the front sway bar would have provided much more traction...
Rewind back to 11:20 or so to see that their JTR did it with no problem, even with a newbie behind the wheel; but no trailer. In the Tundra's defense, I'm sure it wouldn't have struggled without dragging the trailer.

I would like to see a JTR pulling a trailer up that trail. I'm sure it would make it without any issue, but it would be cool to see!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Rewind back to 11:20 or so to see that their JTR did it with no problem, even with a newbie behind the wheel; but no trailer. In the Tundra's defense, I'm sure it wouldn't have struggled without dragging the trailer.

I would like to see a JTR pulling a trailer up that trail. I'm sure it would make it without any issue, but it would be cool to see!
I think weā€™re saying the same thing. ā€˜Their JTR build is extremely heavy and to see a relative new by make it up there is a testament to the capabilities of the JTR.
The vehicle towing the trailer is a 4Runner and unfortunately they are not as capable as the Gladiator or Wrangler.
The Tundra is the one with the Eaton Lockers which I have on my F-350 and it is a very nice addition for trucks that donā€™t have lockers from the factory.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think weā€™re saying the same thing. ā€˜Their JTR build is extremely heavy and to see a relative new by make it up there is a testament to the capabilities of the JTR.
The vehicle towing the trailer is a 4Runner and unfortunately they are not as capable as the Gladiator or Wrangler.
The Tundra is the one with the Eaton Lockers which I have on my F-350 and it is a very nice addition for trucks that donā€™t have lockers from the factory.
Ya, we are saying the same thing. And my bad re: Tundra vs 4Runner pulling the trailer; it had been a while since I watched the video and had an old-timer moment! :LOL:

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
welcome to the addiction. thank goodness i've got such a wonderful, understanding wife, who is ok with this addiction. i'm placing my order for my gator rubicon this week. now, regarding your quest.

the wife and i are in our early 50s. i sleep through the night, so far, so nightly potty breaks aren't needed...yet. how old are you? do you hit the head nightly? if not, how far are you from this being a nightly occurrence?

i ask these questions because i also was searching for a RTT to eventually snag until i had a good conversation with a co-worker who does a lot of camping 'n 4-wheelin'. he's a little younger than i, but he and his wife frequently need to get up for nature at night. he said he saw crawling down the ladder, at night, as an accident waiting to happen for them so they went with a ground tent.

my wife, love her to death, can be a bit clumsy at times. i'd be concerned for her safety if she had to navigate a ladder in the dark. throw some water/ice/mud on the rungs...yeah.

i'll suggest to you the tents he suggested to me, oztent and kodiak.
https://www.oztent.com/tents
http://www.kodiakcanvas.com

oz has a quick setup design, however they are more bulky. with a quick search i just saw this one says it can be used as a RTT or on the ground. https://www.oztent.com/rv-1
the issue with the larger quick setup tents, that i can figure out, is the length of the case. depending on which one you get you may or may not be able to fit it in the bed. here is a link to a tent comparison.

i'm probably going with a kodiak. i like that it packs up into a cube/bag that i could inside the cab if i wanted.

i'm only offering this as something to think about when making your decision. i've never been in a RTT, i've never used any of the tents i'm suggesting you look at. i'm only offering ideas to think about when making your decisions. i'm glad i had the chat with my co-worker before spending the money on the RTT. i really think a RTT would be cool, the views you can get, just sleeping in the air, both super-cool features. but the reality for me/us is that it could be a hazard for us also. ah! i also did a quick look on craigslist, i found a kodiak that retails for $750 for $550. it's not the one i want otherwise it'd be worth a drive to look at it. just another suggestion of places to look.

keep us updated on what you get.
:like:

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)