Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Hi folks-
As you may know I am building my JTR for long range Overland travel. One of the items on my list was a good awning. Shade can be crucial when you don’t have AC!
Anyway I have been looking at literally dozens of manufacturers and watching every review I could get my hand on….Long story short I ended up buying a OVS 270 Batwing awning and after spending a few hours installing it I can say this thing is great and covers a lot of ground!

Here are a couple of pictures showing it installed on my Alu-Cab canopy. I also picked up side walls which will provide additional protection from the elements as well as some privacy when needed.

Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 81081DE8-3122-4EFD-872D-492020D0563A
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 18AAD8AF-9BEB-4C48-A8C8-012CD67852A6
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 2985246C-6CBF-41D5-9B49-7FE0A0DAB8E9
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 18558A57-4200-44A0-958F-59C89B4A9FBD
Sponsored

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Wow. They handwrite dimensions on the paperwork? Top class. :LOL: Kidding. Nice to have the overall. OVS is probably what I'll go with, only the 180*; my RTT opens rearward, over the tailgate. From my research awhile ago, they were the best coverage vs. price imo.

You can have it open without legs, right? Just windy time?

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I have the same awning and it is awesome!! Build quality is really good and it provides a lot of shade.
When deploying and setting the tension straps that keep it open, I think it is best to bring the straps back to the cross bars rather than pulling downward to the bumper.
I also cut and re-sewed one of the straps so the cam operated in the opposite direction. Just made it so much easier to use changing the direction you pull on it to tension.
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 32FBDB86-E4DE-4CA1-9F3E-A3CA723EA99A

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Wow. They handwrite dimensions on the paperwork? Top class. :LOL: …..
You can have it open without legs, right? Just windy time?
Ya thanks!
The directions say to always put the 3 poles down and that’s what I intend to do. I know some say you don’t have to but these awnings are pretty big and I can see any awning get ripped off if not properly supported and guy wired down when completely set up.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have the same awning and it is awesome!! Build quality is really good and it provides a lot of shade.
When deploying and setting the tension straps that keep it open, I think it is best to bring the straps back to the cross bars rather than pulling downward to the bumper.
I also cut and re-sewed one of the straps so the cam operated in the opposite direction. Just made it so much easier to use changing the direction you pull on it to tension.
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 32FBDB86-E4DE-4CA1-9F3E-A3CA723EA99A
You’re right about the strap being secured to the rack instead of my bumper. I was excited to set it up and didn’t read about it in the instructions until later!

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
As far as poles you need to use them all if putting the walls up. If it is breezy you want at least the three poles stowed on the arms and guy ropes. Another important item if raining is to put guy ropes in between the arms to “vee” the awning to prevent water pooling.
With the AluCab Cap I installed clips to the ceiling tracks that hold the three auxiliary poles. Similar to the clips used to hold broom and mop handles in a pantry.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
I purchased the ovs 270 nomadic awning but it wont ship until 8/5. I was intitally told they were in stock and would ship right away. Something tells me they just wanted an interest free loan. I also purchased the walls, how much did you pay for them? Im wondering of i got a good deal?

Screenshot_20210617-230703_Gallery.jpg

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I paid $949 for just the awning a year ago. Bought just the #1 wall with a door separately a bit later. Don't recall the price on that.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
OVS lists them on Amazon and as in stock.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
As far as poles you need to use them all if putting the walls up. If it is breezy you want at least the three poles stowed on the arms and guy ropes. Another important item if raining is to put guy ropes in between the arms to “vee” the awning to prevent water pooling.
With the AluCab Cap I installed clips to the ceiling tracks that hold the three auxiliary poles. Similar to the clips used to hold broom and mop handles in a pantry.
Great minds think alike!
Last night I ordered a set of “Quick Fists” to secure the extra poles to the ceiling of my Alu-Cab canopy…right next to my shovel and table that is also secured to the ceiling,

Sponsored

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OK guys here are some additional pictures…

I ordered the 3 walls in an effort to increase useable space even if the weather isn’t cooperating and I have to say I’m impressed. The 3 walls easily zipper to the awning and to each other (except wall 2/3 interface which has Velcro).
They are labeled which makes installation a breeze after a day of hard driving. The base where you install the stakes have shock cord to minimize stress on the system. Very nice! As you can see in the pictures the walls don’t just hang down but extend out maybe 3.5 to 4 feet giving you much more useable space!

It took me maybe 15 minutes to set everything up my first time. I’m sure it will go a lot faster next time…
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review F24B2C83-26D3-4D03-8C92-99708064A2BF
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 822EFFE7-1CC5-4C4D-B3F7-1F29502935DD
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review F7DD924C-FC71-4648-8445-2222B3C46F02
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 7452317B-D3C4-4282-81BE-CF39BCDD1046

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
what does this thing look like all packed up. seems to be very few photos showing that.