Sponsored

Overland with 34s

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up stopping by a local dealer because I saw this Overland sitting out front:

D225B84B-BB45-4813-A968-6BE5F061D4D3.jpeg
10839D69-639A-4492-B2CA-58546E13D95F.jpeg

They've put 315 70R17s on it, and it looks pretty aggressive. However, the more I look at it, I think they may have put a leveling kit on it. I was initially excited about it because I’ve been grappling with whether to stay with 33s on mine or go up 35s. 35s beg the question of to lift or not to lift. But, I am not putting a bloody leveling kit on it. It’s a truck not an SUV! :headbang: My other dilemma has been the wheels. I really like the Fuel Covert, but I don’t want a 17" wheel, and the only other size is 20" which pushes me to a 35" tire to make it look acceptable on a Jeep to me. I am also not happy with the color choices; black, red, or bronze. Almost got bronze because red was too flashy and black is too blah. I just wish it was available in platinum or gunmetal.

06E4A7E0-1EBD-4AE4-82B5-CD6525C4DE3B.jpeg

So, I settled I think on the Fuel Tech in 18".

88CB5C03-1E46-43D2-869D-262BD7AA1840.jpeg

That other Overland has me thinking about the 325 65R18s I originally thought I would get if the Covert had been available in an 18". I am still debating though, to lift or not to lift. Maybe, I can get those 18s and the 325s then lift in the Spring.
Sponsored

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My Jeep will hopefully get platinum or gunmetal when I choose my wheels. I wish the Fuel tech was available in platinum or gunmetal. I've been looking at wheels for a long time now and what makes it most difficult for me is offset of wheels sticking them out so far.

My Jeep likes my money

OP
OP
Dr Kel

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
Mine on 315/70/R17's
2" mopar lift

IMG_3109.jpg
Yeah, I see the difference with the lift. I kinda like the look with the lift, but definitely reaffirmed my desire for 18s, maybe tolerating 20s, and not black. Thanks.

Sponsored

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
But, I am not putting a bloody leveling kit on it. It’s a truck not an SUV! :headbang:
What's the reasoning behind this? I've leveled every truck I've ever owned, gains clearance for larger tires up front, gets rid of rake, and has never negatively affected ride quality while costing 1/8 what it would it lift a truck the same height with a full front/rear lift kit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What's the reasoning behind this? I've leveled every truck I've ever owned, gains clearance for larger tires up front, gets rid of rake, and has never negatively affected ride quality while costing 1/8 what it would it lift a truck the same height with a full front/rear lift kit.
Because when you haul then the truck is sitting level and not nose in the air. You have to have it aligned - or SHOULD if you know steering and suspension geometry as it changes caster - so leveling will impact the angles depending on the degree of change.
When I put a load in my current truck or hook up my car hauler the truck sits LEVEL and that's how I like it. I've had lighter trucks or heavier loads that dropped the back to the point it was noticeable because you saw more hood and less road.
I don't mind a bit of rake as long as it's level when towing or hauling stuff.
Why would I need clearance for larger tires? For that matter, on a truck meant to haul, why would I need larger tires? Looks is all I can think of.
It's a TRUCK, not an SUV.
Truck people tend to want their loads to run totally level, not look like the back end has dropped.
I'll keep my other Jeeps and stuff level but I'm not so sure I'd level a TRUCK as then it would drop in the back when loaded.

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Because when you haul then the truck is sitting level and not nose in the air. You have to have it aligned - or SHOULD if you know steering and suspension geometry as it changes caster - so leveling will impact the angles depending on the degree of change.
When I put a load in my current truck or hook up my car hauler the truck sits LEVEL and that's how I like it. I've had lighter trucks or heavier loads that dropped the back to the point it was noticeable because you saw more hood and less road.
I don't mind a bit of rake as long as it's level when towing or hauling stuff.
Why would I need clearance for larger tires? For that matter, on a truck meant to haul, why would I need larger tires? Looks is all I can think of.
It's a TRUCK, not an SUV.
Truck people tend to want their loads to run totally level, not look like the back end has dropped.
I'll keep my other Jeeps and stuff level but I'm not so sure I'd level a TRUCK as then it would drop in the back when loaded.
I understand the point of rake in regards to towing, but the OP is also talking about going to larger tires and lifting it, two things not commonly associated with people that are buying a truck primarily to tow.. Those people also likely aren't looking at Gladiators when you can find a full size truck for the same price that are better for towing, if that's his prime concern or reason for buying a Gladiator.

Also, from what I tend to see most lift kits level trucks out anyway, because again, most people interested in lifting vehicles and/or putting larger tires on aren't as concerned with towing as they are with going off road, so the rake is a hindrance in those situations.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the point of rake in regards to towing, but the OP is also talking about going to larger tires and lifting it, two things not commonly associated with people that are buying a truck primarily to tow.. Those people also likely aren't looking at Gladiators when you can find a full size truck for the same price that are better for towing, if that's his prime concern or reason for buying a Gladiator.

Also, from what I tend to see most lift kits level trucks out anyway, because again, most people interested in lifting vehicles and/or putting larger tires on aren't as concerned with towing as they are with going off road, so the rake is a hindrance in those situations.
My Ford Excursion sit very level but when i towed my 30’ trailer with my 8,000 pound excursion the rear always squatted & i had everything adjusted right & used equalizers. Air bags would have helped but the Excursion didn’t care either way it towed excellent.
Sponsored