Sponsored

Overlanding comparison in Mojave: Gladiator vs Tacoma vs Colorado (Motortrend)

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Last edited by a moderator:

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
For that trail I can see why IFS won.

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
They are on a damn trail and had orgasms on how nice and soft the Taco road, it's a trail. If you are whining about the bumps you should be test driving a Prius not a truck off road. The Gladiator didn't win because of dragging it's belly and price? I thought this was about off road capabilities, WTF does price have to do with that? They should have driven the Gladiator naked and it would have won hands down, maybe they were worried about get Jeep hair.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
It was like a millennial auto journalistic version of City Slickers LOL... they were constantly complaining about the tents, rough trails, weather and discomfort. IMO it was a terrible review. Their only complaint was the rubbing of the under belly of the Gladiator and the rough ride, well most of us lift before we off road this so that's a non issue. Idk what to say about bumpy off road trail rides :LOL:

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
It was like a millennial auto journalistic version of City Slickers LOL... they were constantly complaining about the tents, rough trails, weather and discomfort. IMO it was a terrible review. Their only complaint was the rubbing of the under belly of the Gladiator and the rough ride, well most of us lift before we off road this so that's a non issue. Idk what to say about bumpy off road trail rides :LOL:
When millenials review shit.....damn. If they had spent another night off of a Serta there would have been trouble for all of them.

None of those trucks are using even 20% of their capabilities in that video.

They are all capable, but only one is a Jeep

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
They took two desert runners and a rock crawler on a primarily desert run, and wonder why the rock crawler didn't handle quite as well...:facepalm::headbang::computerrage:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Ha, Motor Trend . . . Meh ! Car, SUV, Truck . . . you name it Magazines are ALL in one way or another "linked" to the Manufacturers ! Like Siamese Twins even ! Now don't go getting your 'sack" all sweaty over the Opinionated poster (me) . . . I don't mean Literally "linked" ! It was a "fun" video to watch . . . but there is NO Comparison going on here, really . I could watch these things all day long - fun - but for me, comparing an Orange to say 2 Lemons (pun intended) is MUTE .
WRANGLER JEEPS are Different, they're JUST DIFFERENT than ALL the rest (so far at least) . The Iconic Look and the Iconic Feel . . . the Top Down, Top Off . . . or Bear It All undress Mode . . . it's All only something describable in one or 2 word !
"Jeep" or "Wrangler" or simple "Fuck Yea" ! Sorry Mom . I'm always amused at the Folks here finding the need to "Compare / Cross Shop" JL's or JT's with . . . whatever else they feel is "comparable" (when it's NOT) . Really it boils down to each individual and their Intended needs / wants and the "affordability factor" ! And as far as the comment the JT didn't "perform" so well ? Totally Lost me on that one . . . ? Totally . Any who, just my total personal view from watching video # 419 of the 4190 in the series . . . many more to come ! I think REDLINE's newest on the Manual Rubi-JT with the hardtop OFF sums up the "fun factor" fairly nicely - not bad for a D.C. city slicker ! ;)

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
The other issue is the Chevy has an interior from the 90's with dated technology. I was seriously looking at the Bison last fall, but as the few extra bucks weren't a big issue for me, I wanted the additional technology options the Jeep has (USB ports, power outlet, radio from this century, trail cam, off road pages info, adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, blind spot monitors, etc..).

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think there is obviously a lot of Jeep bias on here. Bottom line is, the Bison performed better than the other two vehicles in this particular trial and it did it for $11,000 less than the Gladiator. It's about value and the Bison is a better value when it comes to this particular test (ride comfort, off-road capability). Sure, it doesn't have all of the accoutrements that the Gladiator has but that doesn't play into the value factor for this trial. No need to get bent out of shape every time the Gladiator doesn't win an award or come out on top in a comparison video/article. Enjoy it for what it is and what it can do that no other truck can which is remove the doors and top.

Sponsored

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
I think there is obviously a lot of Jeep bias on here. Bottom line is, the Bison performed better than the other two vehicles in this particular trial and it did it for $11,000 less than the Gladiator. It's about value and the Bison is a better value when it comes to this particular test (ride comfort, off-road capability). Sure, it doesn't have all of the accoutrements that the Gladiator has but that doesn't play into the value factor for this trial. No need to get bent out of shape every time the Gladiator doesn't win an award or come out on top in a comparison video/article. Enjoy it for what it is and what it can do that no other truck can which is remove the doors and top.
I couldn't agree more. Why do people need their vehicle of choice to win every test or review? You shouldn't need others to validate your decision. And if you aren't open to other peoples opinions, why bother clicking through to read/watch it? That's the whole point of this sub-forum..

It's also kind of comical to insinuate that these guys are wimps, or aren't nature lovers, because they didn't particularly enjoy being pounded by 65 mph gusts through the night. Maybe they need to man up, skip the tents, and just make beds of barbed wire to sleep on.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Well . . . speaking of ones BIAS ! See ? It REALLY just boils down to ONES "PARTICULARS" !
If only "THEY" could manufacture ~ 4 Billion Varieties . . . every adult could get what their BIASes Require ! Just curious though . . . How did YOU determine the Bison "WON" ? Just what did "IT" win ?

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I couldn't agree more. Why do people need their vehicle of choice to win every test or review? You shouldn't need others to validate your decision. And if you aren't open to other peoples opinions, why bother clicking through to read/watch it? That's the whole point of this sub-forum..

It's also kind of comical to insinuate that these guys are wimps, or aren't nature lovers, because they didn't particularly enjoy being pounded by 65 mph gusts through the night. Maybe they need to man up, skip the tents, and just make beds of barbed wire to sleep on.
I don't expect my vehicle of choice to "win" every test or review - just that when you take vehicles what they are not built for like the other poster said when the Jeep is more for crawling and not for fast desert runs and compare and say one is inferior it is not justified. You are just making a straw man argument by saying if you are not open to other people's opinions and mocking ours - I can see the irony and the hypocrisy there LOL. Just like you said, our opinions are just our opinions and you have to be open to it as well.

I am not insinuating that those guys were wimps, I actually said they were wimps because they couldn't handle that weather and sure that doesn't mean they need to go to extremes and walk on fire and sleep on barbed wire beds. In any of those shots, none of them said that they were enjoying the outdoors and were constantly complaining how the weather was bad and the ride was bad etc. which is rather unusual for most overland peeps to complain about - they roll with the punches and that is the true fun in overlanding and most of them enjoy it a lot more than those wimps who reviewed it. You generally expect the "reviewer" to be some kind of an expert because you are speaking to an audience in that field and it came across as being rather disingenuous that's all.

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
Of course I'm biased and the Chevy looks like crap ;). I'm not bent out of shape about it. I just have an opinion backed up with cash. That opinion is worth about $60k to anyone willing to listen. Jeep did, they win. :like:

The dude abides... :jk:

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
I don't expect my vehicle of choice to "win" every test or review - just that when you take vehicles what they are not built for like the other poster said when the Jeep is more for crawling and not for fast desert runs and compare and say one is inferior it is not justified. You are just making a straw man argument by saying if you are not open to other people's opinions and mocking ours - I can see the irony and the hypocrisy there LOL. Just like you said, our opinions are just our opinions and you have to be open to it as well.

I am not insinuating that those guys were wimps, I actually said they were wimps because they couldn't handle that weather and sure that doesn't mean they need to go to extremes and walk on fire and sleep on barbed wire beds. In any of those shots, none of them said that they were enjoying the outdoors and were constantly complaining how the weather was bad and the ride was bad etc. which is rather unusual for most overland peeps to complain about - they roll with the punches and that is the true fun in overlanding and most of them enjoy it a lot more than those wimps who reviewed it. You generally expect the "reviewer" to be some kind of an expert because you are speaking to an audience in that field and it came across as being rather disingenuous that's all.
They didn't advertise this comparison as which truck is the best, period. It was which truck was best at this specific trail. It seems fair, and not terribly surprisingly, that the crawler might not be their favorite on a trail of this type.

I'm open to opinions, that's why I'm here. I'm commenting on the off hand dismissal of their findings. When the under body rubs while the others didn't, that shouldn't be highlighted? They're comparing stock vehicles, so that's legitimate information. Same with the ride quality over trails like that.
Sponsored