Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
Just had a chat with a friend about Overlanding, and had some thoughts while out in the woods getting ready for bow season. I'd love to hear some opinions. Keep it civil šŸ¤£

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A late response... (IMHO)
Overlanding is a new thing in USA terminology wise, in Australia and Africa ECT the terminology "Overlanding" more commonly used name for extended camping trip / traveling. Now in USA, Canada(?) camping trip. But now the new "in" thing here to be "Cool".
I'm jaded on the term but I've been doing this camping, hiking and backpacking thing's for a long time and in many States and Countries.

OP
OP
JT850

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
A late response... (IMHO)
Overlanding is a new thing in USA terminology wise, in Australia and Africa ECT the terminology "Overlanding" more commonly used name for extended camping trip / traveling. Now in USA, Canada(?) camping trip. But now the new "in" thing here to be "Cool".
I'm jaded on the term but I've been doing this camping, hiking and backpacking thing's for a long time and in many States and Countries.
I felt that 100%....a friend if mine told me we were going to "overland" and I'd never heard of it. My response "so we're camping?" šŸ¤£...but in all fairness I'm all in on the overlanding style now. I totally get the appeal

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Expedition
Overlanding
Car camping
OvErLAnDiNG (with a Rav4 and selfie stick)

I laugh, but also, welcome OvErLAnDiNG crowds as they mostly stick to the spots I donā€™t go, and grew the industry and associated gear in a big way. Ensuring I, the elitist, gentleman Overlander, can have at my disposal all manner of glamping toys. :giggle:

I got into it myself as a term for just as you said, camping and driving. I found myself either on expedition portal, which was over my league in terms of need, or pirate4x4 which was also over my league and need.
Somewhere down the line, I got into overland bound which was a happy medium between having extended duration trips, as well as taking more than just the side road, but a scenic trail along the way.

Their motto was really around opening it up to the spirit of vehicle dependent camping. Basically your rig as an extension or center of enabling your travels and camping. And by then, Subarus, and used crossovers were plentiful and cheap, and just sort of took off.

For the most part almost anything woth a bit of ground clearance will go down any forest service ground to a dispersed campground, so itā€™s not hard to see why people take a car based something and strap on a tent. Itā€™s easy to do.

For me though, I add an asterisk to Overland* and say hitting the trails, and not just the unpaved roads is a part of it. As thereā€™s an element of travel to Overlanding that bridges from ā€˜arrivingā€™ and car camping to make the journey a part of the destination and reason of the trip.

Sometimes tho, the roads are just miles of interstate too, and as a weekend warrior and daily driver, sometimes sacrifices have to be made to keep things from being a trail rig or dedicated expedition rig. So overlanding seems to cover anything thats not car camping, expeditions or trail trucks.

Happy trails!

OP
OP
JT850

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Expedition
Overlanding
Car camping

I laugh, but also, welcome OvErLAnDiNG crowds as they mostly stick to the spots I donā€™t go, and grew the industry and associated gear in a big way. Ensuring I, the elitist, gentleman Overlander, can have at my disposal all manner of glamping toys. :giggle:

I got into it myself as a term for just as you said, camping and driving. I found myself either on expedition portal, which was over my league in terms of need, or pirate4x4 which was also over my league and need.
Somewhere down the line, I got into overland bound which was a happy medium between having extended duration trips, as well as taking more than just the side road, but a scenic trail along the way.

Their motto was really around opening it up to the spirit of vehicle dependent camping. Basically your rig as an extension or center of enabling your travels and camping. And by then, Subarus, and used crossovers were plentiful and cheap, and just sort of took off.

For the most part almost anything woth a bit of ground clearance will go down any forest service ground to a dispersed campground, so itā€™s not hard to see why people take a car based something and strap on a tent. Itā€™s easy to do.

For me though, I add an asterisk to Overland* and say hitting the trails, and not just the unpaved roads is a part of it. As thereā€™s an element of travel to Overlanding that bridges from ā€˜arrivingā€™ and car camping to make the journey a part of the destination and reason of the trip.

Sometimes tho, the roads are just miles of interstate too, and as a weekend warrior and daily driver, sometimes sacrifices have to be made to keep things from being a trail rig or dedicated expedition rig. So overlanding seems to cover anything thats not car camping, expeditions or trail trucks.

Happy trails!
No lie....was on a trail in Buena Vista, in my overpriced tricked out gladiator, and a rav4 passed me šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£. I felt real hardcore

Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Overlanding is for effeminate boys with man buns and girl pants. Sipping on sprouts squeezinsā€™.
For the rest of us itā€™s taking a vehicle ā€œoff-roadā€ and entails camping/hunting/hiking/fishing,and maybe getting back to the cave with the old lady. And enjoying some fine bourbon around the campfire afterwards.

OP
OP
JT850

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Overlanding is for effeminate boys with man buns and girl pants. Sipping on sprouts squeezinsā€™.
For the rest of us itā€™s taking a vehicle ā€œoff-roadā€ and entails camping/hunting/hiking/fishing,and maybe getting back to the cave with the old lady. And enjoying some fine bourbon around the campfire afterwards.
Hahaha.....that was the manliest explanation I've ever heard..and now I can never put my hair in a bun again

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Expedition
Overlanding
Car camping

Happy trails!
:like: I remember back when I was on Pirate's of Rubicon... then it went to big bucks stuff and the credit card build's elitist "not welcome" if not "running" 38 plus tires and rock racing / trailer only vehicle's.
I wouldn't try "keeping up" and then bouncing around on deployments. Then life changing events, so I just drifted off of the forums for many years and internet too.
My 90 XJ was my dedicated trail rig comfort took second place on it for most things... No A.C. (converted to onboard air) carpet removed due to swamp water and sand build up, dual battery, ECT, ECT.

I forget the "glamping" aspect too.šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
JT850

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
:like: I remember back when I was on Pirate's of Rubicon... then it went to big bucks stuff and the credit card build's elitist "not welcome" if not "running" 38 plus tires and rock racing / trailer only vehicle's.
I wouldn't try "keeping up" and then bouncing around on deployments. Then life changing events, so I just drifted off of the forums for many years and internet too.
My 90 XJ was my dedicated trail rig comfort took second place on it for most things... No A.C. (converted to onboard air) carpet removed due to swamp water and sand build up, dual battery, ECT, ECT.

I forget the "glamping" aspect too.šŸ˜‰

I build a decent amount of my own accessories...kinda just the way people do things where I'm from. I've gotten a few looks here and there. I guess my thoughts are...if it's truly an off roading "war wagon", do you really want that $900 accessory that you can't fix on the trail? But I can't hate on glamping...years of embracing the suck and a bad back have made me appreciate my 3" inflatable memory foam mattress. Its from Walmart though so packs up about as a good as a queen sized box spring šŸ˜‚

mfrgs12

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT; 2017 JK; 2015 F350 duelly
Occupation
System Analyst
I have a 40' 5th wheel that I pull with a Ford F-350 Dually, My Wife drives a JK Rubi and I have a Gladiator. We love to camp and go to a state park at least once a month. I, however, want more than that for an adventure. "Overlanding" on forest roads or logging roads through mountainous trails and camping at the end of the day and fellowship with friends that want the same experiences is what the Jeep community is all about. Whether it is rock climbing, trail riding or just plain exploring, "jeeping" is just fun. Go find it, experience it, seek the adventure, otherwise life is just too short. I am currently in the design phase of building a overlanding trailer, assembling parts and gathering materials. If you have a good design, please share it, as i would be profoundly interested in your thoughts and concepts.
S/F
R

Sponsored

OP
OP
JT850

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have a 40' 5th wheel that I pull with a Ford F-350 Dually, My Wife drives a JK Rubi and I have a Gladiator. We love to camp and go to a state park at least once a month. I, however, want more than that for an adventure. "Overlanding" on forest roads or logging roads through mountainous trails and camping at the end of the day and fellowship with friends that want the same experiences is what the Jeep community is all about. Whether it is rock climbing, trail riding or just plain exploring, "jeeping" is just fun. Go find it, experience it, seek the adventure, otherwise life is just too short. I am currently in the design phase of building a overlanding trailer, assembling parts and gathering materials. If you have a good design, please share it, as i would be profoundly interested in your thoughts and concepts.
S/F
R
I'm excited to see the trailer!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
No lie....was on a trail in Buena Vista, in my overpriced tricked out gladiator, and a rav4 passed me šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£. I felt real hardcore
I have definitely found Camrys in places they don't belong.

OP
OP
JT850

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have definitely found Camrys in places they don't belong.
I love it hahah. saw a kid on youtube with a Hilux...bombing through moab or some place right next to $100k rigs

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Every generation feels the need to feel as though theyā€™ve reinvented something thatā€™s been going on with prior generations since time began. Thatā€™s what ā€œover-landingā€ is.

Look at countless adds from the 30ā€™s, 40ā€™s, 50ā€™s, 60ā€™s etc. and youā€™ll see families depicted loading up a car, station wagon, Jeep or whatever ready for a multi state camping trip. Itā€™s nothing new. Itā€™s just about buying a bunch of overpriced gear and posting pictures on social media.

People have been camping and road tripping forever. Those who like to camp will continue doing it long after the Instagram crowd finds the next cool thingā€¦

Last edited:

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I'm hooked on a Youtube show called "The story till now". It's a guy who owns a Gladiator that goes with buddies from other youtube channels and it's essentially overlanding but they do some pretty challenging stuff. I'd advise anybody to watch the shows, they are really well done and if I didn't have a job, this is what I'd want to do with my time.
Sponsored