Sponsored

Overlanding, with or without trailer?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i've watched a few of these Ronny Dahl 4wheeling australia videos and I liked this one about pros/cons to towing with a trailer.

then I found this site and about crapped my pants. Ronny's trailer is $47,000 Even if that's australian dollars, HOLY F*CK MATE! https://hiconsumption.com/2019/02/best-off-road-camper-trailers/

Anyways, maybe i'll win the lottery one day.....

What do you guys think about the overlanding with a trailer? What's your base trailer/cost?

Sponsored

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Now that I’ll have an entire bed attached to the Gladiator there won’t be much need for my little Jeep trailer any more...

...it’s a 1947 Bantam T3-C. Basically a WW-II Jeep trailer modified for post war civilian use by cutting a tailgate into it.

Decades later I bought it practically rust free and added the lid, extended the tongue, and put repro wheels and NDT tubed tires on it. Tows fantastic.
A4CFAABB-82CA-4DA4-B2A7-E2FF25BD3CBB.png

Last edited:

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I was lucky and found a m100 rescue trailer, I spent 100 on the trailer, about 3 months on labor plus another 200 on parts, paint and lights. I used a jk jeep rubicon to pull the trailer. I went on trip for three weeks out west a total of about 4 thousand miles. I did not use a roof top tent, with 4 people and gear it was a help. I now have m101a2 to pull behind the jt. I have found a trailer on a overland trip is well worth the expense. I can carry a lot of extra water, fuel, food and other equipment. The military trailers are over built and bullet proof. I have many years of experience with military trailers both with use and maintenance. I will always have a trailer when overloading which all I do anyway. I do have multiple trailers and I pack and equip for each trip.

OcmulgeeOgre

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk’n Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
i've watched a few of these Ronny Dahl 4wheeling australia videos and I liked this one about pros/cons to towing with a trailer.

then I found this site and about crapped my pants. Ronny's trailer is $47,000 Even if that's australian dollars, HOLY F*CK MATE! https://hiconsumption.com/2019/02/best-off-road-camper-trailers/

Anyways, maybe i'll win the lottery one day.....

What do you guys think about the overlanding with a trailer? What's your base trailer/cost?
That trailer pales in comparo to this trailer.

Dropping LARGE coin on these custom built trailers is just bragging rights. One of the companies (may still be around) builds completely out of stainless steel, ther trailers run $12k beyond.

So there I was leading a run Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in S Cal close to the Salton Sea. We are way deep into the park almost to the end of a very long trailer, as we come around a bend there sits custom built about $20k trailer sitting there half on half off the trail.. Where is the tow vehicle? The wife has it and she has gone back to work in San Fran... HUH? Turns out his $25k trailer cannot handle the harsh off-road life, using a proprietary suspension, the ONLY place for parts if from the mfg, who is closed down for vacation and to attend a trade show of We B Trailers or something like that.

He works in San Fran as some kind of a financial guy. He has been there on the trail for about 10 days and is past his return time at the office and is sweating bullets over losing his job. When the wife gets ahold of WeBTrailers she is going to have them FEDX her the part and she is driving down so hubby can install it.

My trailer below is the Canadien Army version of the US Army 1/4 Jeep Trailer developed in 1941 for the Jeep, these trailers have been thru WWII - Vietnam and beyond. 1/4 T = 500 lbs, yea I have seen them with over 3000 lbs of munitions in them, springs almost reverse bend in them. They are rugged and can take a beating beyond anything you can imagine. Sadly I sold that thing, I sill miss it! I got $2000 cash money for it from another Jeeper.

If you have not done Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, get it on your list, a lot of fun, RUGGED trails only a few places even get to a 3 rated trail but its very rough terrain so its challenging everywhere you go. I would go back for the scenery.

This was my second time out on my OTHER Jeep, a '06 Rubicon LJ. I bought it to have a Jeep for easy and overnight trails. I took out the back seat with its added length I could push the front seat forward and let the engine idle all night for heat/AC, listen to the Sirrus radio and the have fun all day.

Take away, if you want a trailer and they are well worth it for the longer less challenging trails the find a used US/Canadian Army US M416/Can M101 1/4 T...not going to let you down!

26062007370.jpeg

01032009153.jpeg

01032009156.jpg

27022009111.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I was lucky and found a m100 rescue trailer, I spent 100 on the trailer, about 3 months on labor plus another 200 on parts, paint and lights. I used a jk jeep rubicon to pull the trailer. I went on trip for three weeks out west a total of about 4 thousand miles. I did not use a roof top tent, with 4 people and gear it was a help. I now have m101a2 to pull behind the jt. I have found a trailer on a overland trip is well worth the expense. I can carry a lot of extra water, fuel, food and other equipment. The military trailers are over built and bullet proof. I have many years of experience with military trailers both with use and maintenance. I will always have a trailer when overloading which all I do anyway. I do have multiple trailers and I pack and equip for each trip.
Yeah that prepacking aspect is really cool. Also I'd like to get to a point where I'm not "borrowing" stuff from the house for the trip. Like a hatchet for example, I'll just have two.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Patriot Campers in the videos are now being imported into the USA by Exploration Outfitters out of OK: https://explorationoutfitters.com/collections/patriot-campers

I also saw a recent video of a chassis-based Patriot Camper going on a new 2020 JT in lieu of the truck bed. Oh, they also dropped a little Hellcat engine into the front. https://www.motor1.com/news/350447/dynatrac-custom-jeep-gladiator-overlander/
Yeah, looks nice. Don't they call them CORE? If you got the money, pretty neat.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That trailer pales in comparo to this trailer.

Dropping LARGE coin on these custom built trailers is just bragging rights. One of the companies (may still be around) builds completely out of stainless steel, ther trailers run $12k beyond.

So there I was leading a run Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in S Cal close to the Salton Sea. We are way deep into the park almost to the end of a very long trailer, as we come around a bend there sits custom built about $20k trailer sitting there half on half off the trail.. Where is the tow vehicle? The wife has it and she has gone back to work in San Fran... HUH? Turns out his $25k trailer cannot handle the harsh off-road life, using a proprietary suspension, the ONLY place for parts if from the mfg, who is closed down for vacation and to attend a trade show of We B Trailers or something like that.

He works in San Fran as some kind of a financial guy. He has been there on the trail for about 10 days and is past his return time at the office and is sweating bullets over losing his job. When the wife gets ahold of WeBTrailers she is going to have them FEDX her the part and she is driving down so hubby can install it.

My trailer below is the Canadien Army version of the US Army 1/4 Jeep Trailer developed in 1941 for the Jeep, these trailers have been thru WWII - Vietnam and beyond. 1/4 T = 500 lbs, yea I have seen them with over 3000 lbs of munitions in them, springs almost reverse bend in them. They are rugged and can take a beating beyond anything you can imagine. Sadly I sold that thing, I sill miss it! I got $2000 cash money for it from another Jeeper.

If you have not done Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, get it on your list, a lot of fun, RUGGED trails only a few places even get to a 3 rated trail but its very rough terrain so its challenging everywhere you go. I would go back for the scenery.

This was my second time out on my OTHER Jeep, a '06 Rubicon LJ. I bought it to have a Jeep for easy and overnight trails. I took out the back seat with its added length I could push the front seat forward and let the engine idle all night for heat/AC, listen to the Sirrus radio and the have fun all day.

Take away, if you want a trailer and they are well worth it for the longer less challenging trails the find a used US/Canadian Army US M416/Can M101 1/4 T...not going to let you down!

26062007370.jpeg

01032009153.jpeg

01032009156.jpg

27022009111.jpg
Hahaha, yeah proprietary sometimes screams "screwed if it breaks" to me. Good story.
Breathtaking photos, didn't know about that place. I'll look into the military trailers. Do most guys just custom backyard build up those trailers to meet their personal needs then?

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'm totally against overlanding with a trailer. I've been in situations that a trailer would have been impractal and down right dangerous.
2 years ago while in Colorado I was on a mountain pass that had a land slide blocking the path. I had to back down a narrow shelf road down and down switch backs for about half a mile before I found a small place to turn around. I cannot imagine doing that with even a small trailer. You never know when situations like that will happen when out in the back country.
That's why I'm getting the JT so that I wound need a trailer to haul stuff.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have found that a flea market, Craigslist and estate sales are great for those odd and ends for camping. A little bit of selective hunting can make a nice camping set up.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Hahaha, yeah proprietary sometimes screams "screwed if it breaks" to me. Good story.
Breathtaking photos, didn't know about that place. I'll look into the military trailers. Do most guys just custom backyard build up those trailers to meet their personal needs then?
YEP!

I have seen some great builds using the military M416 US and the Canadian Army trailers. One thing sets these apart form many other trailers is that they were DESIGNED by the military to managed and moved around by 2 soldiers, they are amazing light feeling. Acutally one guy can manage it. very easy!

NOTE the military ones are HARD to come by, big demand for them in the Jeep world for overland use.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YEP!

I have seen some great builds using the military M416 US and the Canadian Army trailers. One thing sets these apart form many other trailers is that they were DESIGNED by the military to managed and moved around by 2 soldiers, they are amazing light feeling. Acutally one guy can manage it. very easy!

NOTE the military ones are HARD to come by, big demand for them in the Jeep world for overland use.
Do you think the m416 is better than the m101s? I need to read up m101a2, m1101, m416.......

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
I'm totally against overlanding with a trailer. I've been in situations that a trailer would have been impractal and down right dangerous.
2 years ago while in Colorado I was on a mountain pass that had a land slide blocking the path. I had to back down a narrow shelf road down and down switch backs for about half a mile before I found a small place to turn around. I cannot imagine doing that with even a small trailer. You never know when situations like that will happen when out in the back country.
LOL, good one...

I can also see you never pulled one behind a Jeep in combat...

R2-02618-0007.jpeg

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly pros and cons to each. Also one man's overlanding may be another man's campground...
Need to train my family to pack light,or up my packing skills. It's been 19 years since I became an eagle scout.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
LOL, good one...

I can also see you never pulled one behind a Jeep in combat...

R2-02618-0007.jpeg
I have pulled a few trailers for the military, never in combat though. I still would never want to deal with having to manually maneuver a loaded trailer of any kind by myself on a narrow shelf road. Just seems too risky.
Sponsored