www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
On our way back from a close to two month overlanding/road trip. We are in Barstow, California and live in Florida.

I got the P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) while running at high revs climbing a hill. Just had the oil and air filter changed at a dealer in Monterey today but doubt that is related. The fact that it happened while under stress is a bit worrisome.

I do not know any good shops around here and the local dealer has a ton of 1 star reviews for service. And tomorrow is Friday so we would probably be stuck over the weekend at least. I'm considering trying to find a truck and trailer to rent to get it home.

Does anyone know of a good shop in this area? I have tools with me but don't really want to try to take it apart in a hotel parking lot. I would try a local shop if I can find a good one.

Not sure if warranty will be a problem since I have a lot of modifications. Nothing directly to the engine bay other than a dual battery setup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I do not know any good shops around here and the local dealer has a ton of 1 star reviews for service. And tomorrow is Friday so we would probably be stuck over the weekend at least. I'm considering trying to find a truck and trailer to rent to get it home.

Does anyone know of a good shop in this area? I have tools with me but don't really want to try to take it apart in a hotel parking lot. I would try a local shop if I can find a good one.
Why not drive it back home?
Don't bother tearing into it - a misfire can be almost anything from a cam or valve issue to fuel injector to ignition like a plug or coil. You'd be tearing into ----- what? Looking for ----what?

A misfire won't be related to most mods - unless you pinched wires or knocked something loose in the process of the mods.
If it's a coil pack, for example, can't be related to anything else.

Too bad you don't have something like AlfaOBD or jscan to capture a freeze frame and find out if it can narrow the cause down a bit.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Why not drive it back home?
Don't bother tearing into it - a misfire can be almost anything from a cam or valve issue to fuel injector to ignition like a plug or coil. You'd be tearing into ----- what? Looking for ----what?

A misfire won't be related to most mods - unless you pinched wires or knocked something loose in the process of the mods.
If it's a coil pack, for example, can't be related to anything else.

Too bad you don't have something like AlfaOBD or jscan to capture a freeze frame and find out if it can narrow the cause down a bit.
Tearing into can obviously mean as simple as replacing a plug, checking coil packs, etc. Checking to make sure the oil techs didn't knock something loose.

I am not planning on driving it home because the misfire is very noticeable. It's not just a code. 3000 miles of driving could possibly do more damage. Or it could have other driving issues that leave me more stranded than I am now.

I never implied that a mod caused it. That was in relation to dealerships often trying to deny warranty claims. "The heavy tires and wheels put too much strain on the engine". Or whatever else they dream up.

Ward

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Mojave
Occupation
retired
You might want to check the Jeep Dealers in Bullhead City, AZ & Kingman, AZ. They are East in the direction you are traveling. I have a nephew who has dealt with the dealership in Kingman & is a repeat customer.

WillVra

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 F250 FX4, 2016 900 Ranger Cre
Occupation
Oil and gas production
For peace of mind you could remove the coil pack from cyl 1 and swap it with one on either side and see if the misfire follows the coil. If it does it’s a simple fix, and saves a lot of $$$ on rental of a truck and trailer.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am not planning on driving it home because the misfire is very noticeable. It's not just a code. 3000 miles of driving could possibly do more damage. Or it could have other driving issues that leave me more stranded than I am now.
OK, that makes sense - it's not just a code, you can feel it. I agree.

I never implied that a mod caused it. That was in relation to dealerships often trying to deny warranty claims. "The heavy tires and wheels put too much strain on the engine". Or whatever else they dream up.
My comment on that was that they can't deny any warranty claim not only because it's not a mod directly to the engine, but you can argue that nothing had any impact that could cause a misfire - and then the oft misquoted and too easily tossed around like everyone is an expert - MM act.
I know you didn't imply any mod caused it - I was throwing in reasons I'd stand there and argue with them and make sure everyone there knew about it.

Tearing into can obviously mean as simple as replacing a plug, checking coil packs, etc. Checking to make sure the oil techs didn't knock something loose.
The history with misfires on these would dictate - it ain't something knocked loose or easily fixed. Rare rare is the misfire caused by a coil pack or a plug.
At least it's cyl #1 - on the right side, otherwise you'd be pulling the intake to get to plugs and coils.
I bet I've only seen a couple of people here find misfires caused by a simply swapped part.
I guess I'm not one for blindly swapping out parts, running, swapping more parts, running it, etc.
The only way to know would be swap plugs with another cylinder and try it, swap coils with another cylinder and try it, then you are into the fuel system, and with bank 1 on a 2020, it is not uncommon for it to be the cam issue.
Seems like hours of work swapping parts - I'm a 50 year automotive veteran and I'd not even mess with swapping parts out in a parking lot.
Sorry, I guess it's just me..........the only parts you could swap out to try would be coil and spark plug.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For peace of mind you could remove the coil pack from cyl 1 and swap it with one on either side and see if the misfire follows the coil. If it does it’s a simple fix, and saves a lot of $$$ on rental of a truck and trailer.
That's about all that could be done. And luckily it's bank 1, so no need to pull a lot of stuff off. Bank 2, not so simple.
But being the realist that I am................... I'd be doing it as a hail mary. they just so very rarely ever fail.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
So sorry OP, this must be frustrating. Jim Marsh in Vegas has a great service department, if you can limp here.

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
This morning it threw a 302 and then a 300. Didn't throw the 301 again. I made an appointment at a dealer for Monday. Just gonna make the best of it and crash in a resort until they get it figured out.

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Ooof. Those last two posts are really aiming for it eating a cam.

Hope you get it sorted!

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Something to request of the dealer: there is a new 'Flash" for P0300 Misfire.. I had a friend that is a FCA Training Instructor check my 21 Mojave VIN and there is a Computer Flash to update for P0300; he check by my VIN. Ask the Dealership to check for this and see if it applies to your 2020

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
And now it's a c0600 and p0000.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
And now it's a c0600 and p0000.
P0000 is a throw away code. C0600 though maybe what your whole issue is and is tied to the O2 sensors. Being a "C" code is showing it as a communication error.

I know there has been instances of people having valve cover leaks with oil getting on the O2 sensors causing misfire issues.

I think it is rare as hens teeth to find anybody that was still in the powertrain warranty and having misfire issues actually found a spark plug or coil bad.