Sponsored

park manual release video highly recommended.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
another issue dodged as a member of the Manual Transmission Master Race! :flag::flag:

seriously though I hope my upcoming wrangler isn't an abhorrently unreliable piece of shit. here's hoping.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@Gus ,,, Thanks Gus, very good video with info that I appreciated..

I paid close attention and made note about how the automatic tranny behaves when you pull the release strap. It locks in the released position. The gear shift indicator blinks P, P ,P but when it blinks like that, you can be assured that it is in neutral or released and the vehicle can free roll. This is an important point.

Another point made is that when you pull the release you hear a click and it locks in released position until you pull it again..

What I found major fault with in regard to the video:

Two things in the video where the guy in the video was very wrong. It is never a good ideal to dolly tow a 4WD vehicle. You never dolly tow with either just the front or just the rear wheel off the ground. This is a great way to tear up your transfer case. I might add that FCA recommends against/ warns against dolly towing.

Also the guy mentioned when flat towing to release from Park.. That is wrong. When you flat tow a JL/JLU you want the automatic transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral. If a manual shift JL/JLU. you want the transmission in a forward gear and the transfer case in neutral.

Anyway, again , when you flat tow the JL/JLU with an automatic transmission you want the automatic transmission in Park and transfer case in neutral.

But yes, Gus... A good idea is to watch the video! Thanks for presenting it to us here.

Last edited:

Tom k

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cj5, Jeep Jl Rubicon
So.. drill hole through cover and leave tether out?

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Informative, but no good reason to wait 5 minutes in to the video to show where it was. Kinda click-baity.

It's actually at around 4:45 if you want to save yourself some time.
In defense of the guy in the video... he put out alot of important info in those 5 min.

Did you pay attention and make note of what he said in those 5 min..?

I did point out two things he was very wrong on otherwise the video was. very informative.

Good info to know before you go to the car wash or wreck, have a dead battery, etc.. The manual say little about the release in comparison to the guy in the video.

Read at this thread. The guy could have used the info in the video.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-sahara-breakdown-plus-tow.5438/#post-115541

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
In defense of the guy in the video... he put out alot of important info in those 5 min.

Did you pay attention and make note of what he said in those 5 min..?

I did point out two things he was very wrong on otherwise the video was. very informative.

Good info to know before you go to the car wash or wreck, have a dead battery, etc.. The manual say little about the release in comparison to the guy in the video.
No, I didn't watch it all and take notes, I scanned until I found the information in the headline of the video. Had that information been supplied up front, I might have been more inclined to stay and watch (though I don't need to know why I might need to use it, that's kind of duh).

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
No, I didn't watch it all and take notes, I scanned until I found the information in the headline of the video. Had that information been supplied up front, I might have been more inclined to stay and watch (though I don't need to know why I might need to use it, that's kind of duh).
I hear ya.. Anyway, not the best video but it did have info that was good to know. Suggest you watch the whole video. :like:

A few days ago we had a forum goer come here and say they had issues getting broken down JKU on a flatbed truck. They thought they had to sit in the JLU and keep pulling on the release strap so it would stay out of Park and they could get it on the flatbed. Obviously, if they had watched ALL of this video they would have know better and been saved some grief. Here is the thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-sahara-breakdown-plus-tow.5438/#post-115541

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
@Gus ,,, Thanks Gus, very good video with info that I appreciated..

I paid close attention and made note about how the automatic tranny behaves when you pull the release strap. It locks in the released position. The gear shift indicator blinks P, P ,P but when it blinks like that, you can be assured that it is in neutral or released and the vehicle can free roll. This is an important point.

Another point made is that when you pull the release you hear a click and it locks in released position until you pull it again..

Two things in the video where the guy in the video was very wrong. It is never a good ideal to dolly tow a 4WD vehicle. You never dolly tow with either just the front or just the rear wheel off the ground. This is a great way to tear up your transfer case. I might add that FCA recommends against/ warns against dolly towing.

Also the guy mentioned when flat towing to release from Park.. That is wrong. When you flat tow a JL/JLU you want the automatic transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral. If a manual shift JL/JLU. you want the transmission in a forward gear and the transfer case in neutral.

Anyway, again , when you flat tow the JL/JLU with an automatic transmission you want the automatic transmission in Park and transfer case in neutral.

But yes, Gus... A good idea is to watch the video! Thanks for presenting it to us here.
Thank you @FatBoy01 for your reply and added comments, much appreciated.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Thank you @FatBoy01 for your reply and added comments, much appreciated.
I just went yo utube and viewed the comments there in regards to this video. The guy that did the video is stating he was wrong in his video in regard to dolly towing and flat towing. I mentioned here he was wrong. Wonder if he read my post here and realized then he was in error.. Ho, ho, ho...

Reactions: Gus

Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Informative, but no good reason to wait 5 minutes in to the video to show where it was. Kinda click-baity.

It's actually at around 4:45 if you want to save yourself some time.
Yeah, that video was about 6:30 too long.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
It’s also a bit annoying that he doesn’t clarify which 2018 Wrangler he’s referring to. People are easily confused.

(And yeah, I’m so grateful for stick shifts. Better than having to remember some obscure requirements you’ll only face once or twice a year.)

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The videos meat was good, but I wanted to bite his ear off if he said to set the parking brake one more time

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
For most of his towing examples, wouldn't you just put the transfer case in neutral rather than the transmission?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
For most of his towing examples, wouldn't you just put the transfer case in neutral rather than the transmission?
I mentioned this earlier. You must have missed it:

Sponsored