Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Architect
🖕🏻I didn’t spend enough on my Jeep? 🖕🏻🤣
Jeep Gladiator Pay to update navigation? 893A1A90-7256-41A0-A37A-AD266C3FB60D
I get these notices all the time for our GC's. I've never paid to have them updated because I prefer to use Google maps on my phone for navigation as it provides real time traffic alerts and notifications collected from other travelers along the route.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I took advantage of the $99 sale price, last August, when my truck was two years old. The regular price is $149. I used the NAV a lot when I first got the truck. I later switched to Android Auto and Google maps. It is nice to have one that works when there is no cellular service. I recommend an update every two years. The map update also includes a Uconnect update to the latest version. Another reason to periodically pay for the map update.

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
You have a Jeep, you shouldn’t need maps to tell you where to go. Make your own path. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

OP
OP
azmojave

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Tread lightly...
If I had a dollar for every one of these threads, I might be able to upgrade.
But they weren’t as good as mine. 🤣

I’m annoyed that I have to pay to upgrade. Even Harley-Davidson has free updates!

Oh well, I use google maps, Waze and Gaia anyway.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
disappointing at best - got the update because they changed. All the exit markers in Massachusetts to match the mile markers, but the update did not pick that up. @JeepCares - how do I get my money back?

Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
disappointing at best - got the update because they changed. All the exit markers in Massachusetts to match the mile markers, but the update did not pick that up. @JeepCares - how do I get my money back?
They are doing this down on Rt 95 in RI this month. What a waste of tax dollars. Who cares if they don't match the mile markers, what are the mile markers needed for anyway. Typical gov't waste.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I get these notices all the time for our GC's. I've never paid to have them updated because I prefer to use Google maps on my phone for navigation as it provides real time traffic alerts and notifications collected from other travelers along the route.
The only thing the ad says you’ll enjoy about it is the FREE shipping. That explains why people in the photo are smiling. It’s a real experience you must feel.

OP
OP
azmojave

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
They are doing this down on Rt 95 in RI this month. What a waste of tax dollars. Who cares if they don't match the mile markers, what are the mile markers needed for anyway. Typical gov't waste.
It might not be a big deal in RI but when the states get bigger out west, you need to know where you are in case of emergency. It’s also nice to know how many miles until the next exit, because it might be many miles away.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
Lexus is 169 for most models plus labor. the new Enform system with topographical overlay is subscription based, Im not sure what the nav updates for the newer cars are, the guest does that all on their own now. Toyota finally did away with propriety installs via the dealership. I hated that too.

Ill die on the hill that vehicle navigation should go away.

Apple carplay and Android auto do away with needing outdated technology, updates behind a paywall, and can only be upgraded so many times before the hardware cant handle any more.

Of course this is just my experience with navigation and the way i use it.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
There are a ton of reasons that aligning exits with mile markers is the preferred way to go. And standardization of something like this across states is a good thing. It's only "gov't waste" if you don't understand the concepts at play or the benefits that result.
  • Easy to understand how far you are in relation to your target exit.
  • Easy to understand which direction an exit is from you.
  • Easy to identify the spacing between exits.
  • Easier for emergency services to know how to get to you based on the mile marker you're at.
  • Gives a clear instruction on how to number new exits without having to change them all (i.e. how do I add an exit between exits 1 and 2 even though they're miles apart?)
(Just to name a few)

Google Maps and the like have definitely spoiled us. The only reason those don't have fees associated with them is because they monetize us every time we use them. The built-in nav systems don't do that, so you need to provide that payment yourself. It's just uncomfortable to see that number in front of you. Google hides what your value is that they're cashing in on (ignorance is bliss). You better believe that if/when the day comes that Google can't make enough money off of us to run Maps like they do now that they're going to start charging for it. Nothing is free.

How long did you wait? The thing a ton of GPS users always did wrong was they rushed out to buy updates as soon as they noticed a change on the roads. These things need time to proliferate, so if you do it too soon then it's unreasonable to expect the new maps to have the changes right away. In some cases it can take up to a year for this proliferation to get all the way to integrated nav maps.
Sponsored