Payload Questions

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
The consensus around here seems to be varied by model and trim as to how much you can actually put in the bed of these vehicles. I have 2 pellet stoves and get my own pellets in the fall instead of having them delivered. My previous Tundra would hold about 33 40lb bags before I would start getting nervous. About 1300 lbs, but that was a full size truck and I don’t expect that form a gladiator. However, how much can your particular JT hold per the sticker and how far have you pushed the limits?

This past fall I had to get them delivered as I had a JL so I’m at least hauling myself again this year.

Thanks

JS
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I have a max tow and hulled close to 1600 lbs in flooring, it squatted a bit, but I went slow. Might be a little scary in wet conditions or at high speeds.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you're going to intentionally overload your truck, then look at maximum tire pressure on your tires. Fill your tires to just below that maximum amount. Go slow, anticipate stops and let off accelerator early. Avoid rough roads. Once unloaded then deflate tires to previous pressure.

This is in no way an endorsement to overload your truck. The engineers set the limit for several reasons.

Best advice I can give you, borrow, rent, buy a flat trailer. You can tow much more than you can haul.

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Got my JT Sport this week, and when I looked at the door sticker, got quite a surprise!

1217 lbs cargo capacity!

I was counting on more payload than my 2006 Tundra (1400 lbs, including driver), and everything I saw pointed to 1600-1700 lbs in the base Sport with the wimpy-trailer-hitch (plus limited slip, floor mats, and green paint ;)

What did I miss?

https://www.jeep.com/gladiator/spec...6z8DLaI0RKTclRMDHMvPYjTNGayHSmshoC5hAQAvD_BwE
Jeep Gladiator Payload Questions Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.06.28 AM

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Got my JT Sport this week, and when I looked at the door sticker, got quite a surprise!

1217 lbs cargo capacity!

I was counting on more payload than my 2006 Tundra (1400 lbs, including driver), and everything I saw pointed to 1600-1700 lbs in the base Sport with the wimpy-trailer-hitch (plus limited slip, floor mats, and green paint ;)

What did I miss?

https://www.jeep.com/gladiator/spec...6z8DLaI0RKTclRMDHMvPYjTNGayHSmshoC5hAQAvD_BwE
Jeep Gladiator Payload Questions Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.06.28 AM
Looks like you got the regular sport with auto. … which does have a sucky payload and towing capacity of like 4500. To get the higher payload you need the max tow option which only has auto, or the manual sport.

What’s printed on your door you can’t change….

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I haul pellets in my Sport S 25 bags per load, which just fills the box.
That and three adults, and the JT sits level, and I hardly notice the load, other than it coasts really well.

Kevin

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Looks like you got the regular sport with auto. … which does have a sucky payload and towing capacity of like 4500. To get the higher payload you need the max tow option which only has auto, or the manual sport.
Yes, I have the 6-speed manual.

Jrobes, where is that table from? The one I posted was from the Jeep Gladiator Spec website... Note that the Sport/SportS manuals without tow have EXACTLY the same specs --until you get to the last column. Are they saying that adding power windows and lock ADDS 400lbs to cargo capacity?

My truck is the second row - Sport with tow package. GVWR is 450 lbs LESS with this option. Why, when front and rear GAWR are exactly the same?

I get that I am stuck with the door sticker, but from a safety and mechanical perspective, are all these published numbers just marketing BS? What am I missing?

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN

What’s printed on your door you can’t change….
Payload capacity is calculated with one 150lb driver who isn't wet most likely. Add Bedmat or Line-X (20lbs) Cargo rails (25lbs) Hard top (150 lbs) Floor Mats (5 lbs) Rock rails (25 lbs)
My 240 lbs costs 90 lbs of payload. So with my wife (I won't say 😉) we went from 1600 to 1045 lbs payload. Oh yeah my bedrack is another 50 lbs. A Hilift jack and Rotopax of gas is 50. Tools 25. And so on. I'm at under 1000 lbs payload. Subtract tongue weight if towing. Ok but not high by modern standards. An old 90s Ford F150 had 7500 lb towing capacity and similar payload to JT but wasn't as fun or cool.

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Payload capacity is calculated with one 150lb driver… …we went from 1600 to 1045 lbs payload…. …And so on. I'm at under 1000 lbs payload
what does your door sticker say? 1600? Which trim package? (And I don’t think they allow 150lbs for the driver;)

here is mine:
Jeep Gladiator Payload Questions 1575FDB1-B72C-444A-B11D-950735CCF799

41374E0E-B00A-449E-91CE-A4AA2EDFCF2E.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
what does your door sticker say? 1600? Which trim package? (And I don’t think they allow 150lbs for the driver;)

here is mine:
Jeep Gladiator Payload Questions 41374E0E-B00A-449E-91CE-A4AA2EDFCF2E

Jeep Gladiator Payload Questions 41374E0E-B00A-449E-91CE-A4AA2EDFCF2E
I go 220 plus all the stuff he mentioned plus I have an overland so I will go with the 1100 which is about 27 bags of pellets for my pellet stove. Call it 25 to be safe because I’m driving an hour

Dmc

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Retired
My Mojave is 1059. I’ll be adding a diamondback cover next week. That will set me back another 100-150lbs.

I didnt think about payload when I was buying. It was a spur of the moment buy, but it is still better payload than the wrangler I traded in.

I guess I need to lose some weight. And watch what I add.

I may need to look into a trailer.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Does anyone else find it funny the GAWR is identical across the line? IMO there's zero reason these trucks should have varied GVWR other than maybe the 3.73 ratio not being up to snuff but that makes no sense because towing.

As long as you're respecting your axle ratings and don't mind riding on bumpstops, the weight will probably be fine as long as you're not bombing down the freeway at 80+

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Does anyone else find it funny the GAWR is identical across the line? IMO there's zero reason these trucks should have varied GVWR other than maybe the 3.73 ratio not being up to snuff but that makes no sense because towing.

As long as you're respecting your axle ratings and don't mind riding on bumpstops, the weight will probably be fine as long as you're not bombing down the freeway at 80+
The GVWR varies between the diesel and gas versions. I think I got this info from a video produced by Brad at Trail Recon (remember that payload can vary depending on options):

Gas RubiconEcodiesel Rubicon
GVWR6,2506,450
Payload1,174973
Curb Weight5,0765,477

An overloaded vehicle will struggle to recover from an emergency maneuver at highway speed. The weight will overwhelm the suspension, possibly resulting in flipping the truck. If your insurance company figures out that the vehicle was overloaded they may not reimburse you. If the accident involves other parties, you could be liable for whatever losses they suffer (to property or life). If you found yourself in this situation, you would be wishing you had (1) made more trips with a lighter load, (2) bought a cheap trailer for hauling, or (3) rented a U-Haul.
Sponsored