Pearl Pass CO vehicle capability?

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I just got back from a family road trip to Crested Butte, CO. before the trip, I did some quick research and learned about Pearl Pass Rd, and was intrigued; not just by a trail over the mountain, but a trail that cut the 3hr drive to aspen down to 22 miles (and probably 6hrs? dunno).
I only found enough time to run about 5 miles in (9 from Hwy 135), turn around, and come back. If i had been in my FJ (a "built overlander"), I would have had the confidence to press on; however, being in my bone stock 6MT Sport (plus 285 TA/KO2 and a 1.5" terraflex kit), I was unsure about pressing to far alone.

There is a strong likelihood we'll be going back next summer, so What I'm curious to know from those who have ran the whole trail is:
What would you consider the minimum Gladiator build to run this trail? is clearance an issue with only a 1.5" spacer lift and 285 tires? Will lockers be needed on some of the wet stone ledges?

How much time should I budget for the whole trip to Aspen? If its really 6hrs, as I've read, it'd be a full 12hr day of wheeling there and back. That's too much, I'd camp.

Here's some drone footage to talk about too, I'm still learning which way's up on this thing...

Sponsored

dano

First Name
Dano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
what's your storage system in the bed?

OP
OP
Hipbilly

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
what's your storage system in the bed?
It's a Hardigg box (mil surp, company owned by Pelican) I stumbled across at a gun show; tough roto-molded HDPE, sits on felt-padded aluminum legs I made and attaches to the d-rings with two stainless turnbuckles.

dirtlimo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi
Ran this a couple years ago, Gun-Aspen route in my JK on 37's. And another on 35's, no issues there :) Had a good friend in his taco on 33's and he made it fine. Its not overtly difficult, but the rock "garden" is a bit slow. After that I think its smooth sailing to the top and maybe one area on the way down where a spotter was needed. Took about 8hrs with stops. I guess my biggest concern would be sidewall protection on the rocks. And of course if you could have at least one other rig with you. Hope this helps
Sponsored