First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting ready to install the NSA Ready Brute auxiliary braking system on my Gladiator, preparing it to tow behind our motorhome. The braking system requires that I run a steel cable from the brake pedal, through the firewall, and up to the front of the truck. So, I've got some questions...

1. How do I remove that plastic panel below the steering column so I have more room to work down there? Does it just pull off, or are there some magic fasteners holding it in place?

2. I will need to drill a couple of 5/16" holes in the firewall: one for the auxiliary brake cable and one for the breakaway brake cable - it looks like there's a plastic "cover" on the firewall behind the brake pedal; how many layers will I be going through to get to the engine compartment?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
1.) The panel just pops off, pry gently along the edges, super easy.
2.) Useful video I saved from another thread some time ago about getting through the firewall:
No need to drill there, that plastic cover pops out very easily, no other layers to go through, you can drill through the plug itself and use sealant/grommet to seal your run through it.

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the video, and the link - the problem is that I'm not simply running wires through the firewall; I'm running a stainless steel cable, in a sheath, through the firewall. The sheath has a fitting that is designed to go through a 5/16" hole, and is held in place with a washer and nut, so it needs a flat area with a 5/16" hole in it, and it needs to be pretty much directly behind the arm on the brake pedal for maximum force to be applied during braking:

2021-04-16 15_37_32-Window.png

clayhodges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Gladiator
Thanks for the video, and the link - the problem is that I'm not simply running wires through the firewall; I'm running a stainless steel cable, in a sheath, through the firewall. The sheath has a fitting that is designed to go through a 5/16" hole, and is held in place with a washer and nut, so it needs a flat area with a 5/16" hole in it, and it needs to be pretty much directly behind the arm on the brake pedal for maximum force to be applied during braking:

Jeep Gladiator Penetrating the firewall 2021-04-16 15_37_32-Window
Alan,
Can you help me locate my cable drill point? I have a 2024 and have the same worries. The inside has a plastic cover over most of the firewall that seems to be a part of the accelerator pedal mounting system. It goes down under the carpet a couple of inches (see attached). The engine side has a foil blanket except for a couple of small holes with unused welded on mounting studs. There is also a wiring harness attached to another stud against the firewall. I've watched a few videos of JK/JL installs but seems those didn't have the plastic cover on the firewall. It makes it very difficult to know where to drill the hole. There are welded on studs and wiring very close to the area I need to drill. Anyone out there with a newer model willing to take a picture of the installed cable position?

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What I did was to pull the carpet down a bit, then, extrapolating a line from the point where the brake pedal meets the brake arm, drill the hole. That should put the hole about an inch or so below the top edge of the carpet, missing the plastic piece. The drill bit should go through the foil blanket in the engine compartment with no issue.
Sponsored