Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I would like to find a solution for a easier to hook up battery tender. With cold temps on the way, I want to make sure my JT is hooked up even if its only 3 days before I drive it again. My experience, batteries just dont last in the cold. Sean on the channel "The Story for Now" has what I am looking for, in theory (picture below). However, this is for his redarc system, I believe, that charges his aux battery. The redarc system has a shore plug option to charge the aux battery, but thats not the same as a low amp maintainer specifically for the main battery.

Does anyone happen to know if something like this exists? Hooking and unhooking clamps onto the battery every couple days when there's a couple feet of new snow is a pain.

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_9267.JPG
Sponsored

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
The OBD port charging adapter has been the easiest for me. Prior to that I had the ring terminals and they were a pain to plug/unplug due to my front bumper being about 3" from the wall of the garage.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Can you attach a float charger to the main battery and charge both batteries or will it just charge the main?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Get the charger linked to above, use leads from the battery to the charger that have a magnetic connection. You can simply pull the connection. There's a lot of options.
You could put a trailer connector plug on that charger in place of the rings and plug it into the back of the truck since that 12v connection is live all the time.
You have a 12v connection at the back of all JTs. It's fused something like 30 or 35 amps.
At a trickle charge rate of only 0.5 amps to maybe 1.5 amps over that large wire for the trailer power the voltage drop should be negligible.
You can run a small pair of connectors to the grill or anywhere to get easy charging access.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can you attach a float charger to the main battery and charge both batteries or will it just charge the main?
It will charge both since they are connected in parallel.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
thank you! I was about to add it to my cart but then saw this comment
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 90708EE7-30EC-4ADC-90DA-FBE60653E6A1

i will have to call noco and verify

Get the charger linked to above, use leads from the battery to the charger that have a magnetic connection. You can simply pull the connection. There's a lot of options.
You could put a trailer connector plug on that charger in place of the rings and plug it into the back of the truck since that 12v connection is live all the time.
You have a 12v connection at the back of all JTs. It's fused something like 30 or 35 amps.
At a trickle charge rate of only 0.5 amps to maybe 1.5 amps over that large wire for the trailer power the voltage drop should be negligible.
You can run a small pair of connectors to the grill or anywhere to get easy charging access.
Good idea about the trailer plug i didnt even think of that. Do you know what gauge the wires are? And does it go right to the battery? I thought the trailer wires (even the 12v power) was activated by a module. Just want to make sure that by charging it, it wont cause a backfeed to some module and fry it.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Been using the 7way trailer plug since I bought my truck 19 months ago. I have an ARB friidge in the back seat and use a 4A Battery Tender brand charger to keep it topped off till we leave for a trip. The wire is obviously large enough to support a 30A fuse since that's what the OE installed.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Did you just take a trailer plug, splice it into the +/- of a charger and plug it in? That sounds too simple to be true lol

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Did you just take a trailer plug, splice it into the +/- of a charger and plug it in? That sounds too simple to be true lol
Pretty much, took a trailer plug and wired an SAE plug into it so I didn't have to cut the plug off of a given charger since I have many.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Been using the 7way trailer plug since I bought my truck 19 months ago. I have an ARB friidge in the back seat and use a 4A Battery Tender brand charger to keep it topped off till we leave for a trip. The wire is obviously large enough to support a 30A fuse since that's what the OE installed.
i suppose this could also work
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 6A58438C-EAB9-49C2-9BA7-9E92275E6737

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Check out the West Mountain Radio Epic pwr gate. I used one on my old subaru to manage my dual band ham radio. There is a port to connect to your batter (main or aux), external 12v input, solar panel input and output rated for 40A continuous. I had it setup so that I could connect a battery tender via anderson powerpole connector. The charge parameters are programmable by USB for any chemistry. When you are off the grid the built in solar charge controller will charge your battery and / or power external devices. If you are running a radio off of it for example, the low voltage cut-off is also programmable so that you don't kill your battery.

The reason I used this setup was to keep my mobile radio on in relay mode when I was away from the vehicle. I carried a hand held APRS radio set to the receive frequency of the dual band radio which acted as a private relay to boost my transmit power to 50w.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
The only downfall i see with this is i would need a 15 foot wire just due to the location i would have to place my charger to keep it safe from rain and snow.

but doing this option would allow me to use one of my existing two battery chargers and just cut off the alligator clips

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thank you! I was about to add it to my cart but then saw this comment
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 14516

i will have to call noco and verify

Good idea about the trailer plug i didnt even think of that. Do you know what gauge the wires are? And does it go right to the battery? I thought the trailer wires (even the 12v power) was activated by a module. Just want to make sure that by charging it, it wont cause a backfeed to some module and fry it.
It's hot all the time, and I've used it to power a small compressor (the sort like AMC and GM used for their self-leveling air shocks) and other stuff.

No to the flat 4-way.
The 4 way flat plug only has
ground,
left turn,
right turn
tail
- not power.

Buy a cord end from Amazon.
Wire this onto the charger's battery ends -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HVS1SY3

You can also get this to turn that trailer plug into a 12v outlet -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC8U7G

That way I can plug any 12v accessory into it.
Sponsored