Sponsored

Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) & Satellite Messengers

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
While many people consider unplugging to be an essential part of immersing themselves in the natural world, it’s also true that there might come a time when one truly needs to call for help. Smartphones, which are seemingly in-hand 24/7, are a tempting solution, but 911 networks offer limited connectivity in Mother Nature’s domain.

When you’re on an outdoor adventure, PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons) and satellite messengers are your two best options for sending distress signals.

A great review of these units on REI's webpage:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

Jeep Gladiator Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) & Satellite Messengers {filename}
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Great Post, I have a Ocean Signal rescueme PLB1 that I use primarily on my Hobie Tandem Island, but, you can use them anywhere. When triggered, they hook up to the closest satellite. Registration is free, and the government sends you a document to update every 2 years or so - regarding emergency numbers, etc.... The frequency of the beam is registered to you, so, if it is lit up, they know it is you. For an adventurer, it really is the best thing since sliced bread, and if you need it, the Government will pull all the stops to save you. This is why we pay all those taxes and thanks to 21st century technology.

PS. Just think of all those movies were people are stranded in the middle of nowhere and go through hell to survive. With a PLB, there is nowhere in the world where this should happen anymore. Isn't that cool ?

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great Post, I have a Ocean Signal rescueme PLB1 that I use primarily on my Hobie Tandem Island, but, you can use them anywhere. When triggered, they hook up to the closest satellite. Registration is free, and the government sends you a document to update every 2 years or so - regarding emergency numbers, etc.... The frequency of the beam is registered to you, so, if it is lit up, they know it is you. For an adventurer, it really is the best thing since sliced bread, and if you need it, the Government will pull all the stops to save you. This is why we pay all those taxes and thanks to 21st century technology.

PS. Just think of all those movies were people are stranded in the middle of nowhere and go through hell to survive. With a PLB, there is nowhere in the world where this should happen anymore. Isn't that cool ?

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience.

Based on the little i know about these things:
* Everyone should have one ESPECIALLY if you ever do go off roading alone (in 1 vehicle)
* They are "expensive" but...
* Monthly charges are involved (on all? I don't know this yet)

I don't like paying subscription fees for anything so I try to avoid them as they easily pile up.

If there's a great solution without monthly fees I'm looking for it and it's what I'll likely buy

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing your insight and experience.

Based on the little i know about these things:
* Everyone should have one ESPECIALLY if you ever do go off roading alone (in 1 vehicle)
* They are "expensive" but...
* Monthly charges are involved (on all? I don't know this yet)

I don't like paying subscription fees for anything so I try to avoid them as they easily pile up.

If there's a great solution without monthly fees I'm looking for it and it's what I'll likely buy
Just the brief reading I've done on the subject...it appears that anything with messaging capability will either have a subscription or have to tether to a cell phone. An EPIRB or PLB will need to be registered, but does not cost a subscription fee, and will get people headed to you when you need them.

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
An EPIRB or PLB will need to be registered, but does not cost a subscription fee, and will get people headed to you when you need them.
I have an EPIRB on my boat. Heading out into the open ocean can get scary at times, especially on a smaller boat. It's kind of fool proof. You just activate it, stay with it and help will come.

I think there is a hefty fine if you activate one for a non critical situation.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Garmin inreach explorer. I live in a very remote part of WA state and cell phones do not work around where I live. I use this as a back up in my work vehicle as my work often time has me up remote roads in the middle of winter. It links to your phone so you can use your phone to send text. I have used it to text people and it's nice cause in the text you send there is a link to a map of your exact location. So incase it not an emergency the person you text will know where you are at. I have never had to use the SOS but they keep in contact after you hit the button via text.
Only downside I found is if you are in a heavily treed area it may be difficult to get a signal out. It works much better with a clear line of sight to the sky.
Garmin service I usually get is like $14.95/month. You get like 10 text a month and unlimited predefined texts. There is no contract so you can start & stop it as much as you want on a monthly basis.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I have a Garmin inreach explorer. I live in a very remote part of WA state and cell phones do not work around where I live. I use this as a back up in my work vehicle as my work often time has me up remote roads in the middle of winter. It links to your phone so you can use your phone to send text. I have used it to text people and it's nice cause in the text you send there is a link to a map of your exact location. So incase it not an emergency the person you text will know where you are at. I have never had to use the SOS but they keep in contact after you hit the button via text.
Only downside I found is if you are in a heavily treed area it may be difficult to get a signal out. It works much better with a clear line of sight to the sky.
Garmin service I usually get is like $14.95/month. You get like 10 text a month and unlimited predefined texts. There is no contract so you can start & stop it as much as you want on a monthly basis.
Another couple nice feature of the Garmin.

1. Mapshare. You can let friends/family see where you are on Garmin Explore with a web link and password. My kids and friends love this feature.

2. Insurance. For around $25 a year, you get $100,000 of insurance, up to $50,000 per incident, to cover the cost of your rescue. You can add coverage for multiple people, raise the total coverage amount, or even get coverage for bringing you back home to a local hospital. The prices are surprisingly reasonable and the coverage is good for a year. I'd imagine the bill for a helicopter with a rescue team can add up pretty quickly.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
I use InReach. I ride my ADV bike in remote places and it's been a great tool when there is no cell signal. IMO, cheap insurance.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
All the devices are great, but they are not fool proof. Terrain masking, vegetation, severe weather and power issues will have an effect on them.

Key thing to remember; it has to "see" a satellite. An extreme example would be a person trapped under a rolled vehicle. The device will transmit, but the signal will not reach the satellite due to the metal in the vehicle blocking the signal.

It is still recommended that you leave a trip plan with someone close and a few "check in" times/dates based on your trip and access to technology based communications.

Maintain the devices if you obtain one, though we would all like to believe they will work when needed- they may not.

I have used the technology based trackers in many different locations/countries, not all have instant capability.

A couple of tips:
- Operationally check prior to a trip
- Keep on your person, it does no good to be injured and unable to access the device if its stuck some where in a pack or glove box and you can't reach it.
- Be aware of your surroundings; terrain masking and vegetation are the primary reason for not connecting with satellites. It can and does happen.
- Continue to use a trip plan. In the trip plan ensure you have a section on marking. If you are stranded and you have the ability to mark the ground an aircraft can spot your mark and direct resources.
- Most devices have a diagram of satellites that cover that particular manufacturer. When they first came out, they did not have 100% coverage in the US. Extreme angles to a satellite means it will have a more difficult time communicating.

Once you have one, you tend to want the next version that allows you to send updates and text on a regular basis. It's great when friends and family can track your progress/trip. So think about bumping up to the next level right off the bat. Some of the devices allow you to receive notifications, so think an emergency in reverse- issue with a family memeber and you need to return home.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I have a spot. I go off on my own a lot, so its good to have one.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beyond communication devices, I've got a very interesting tiny and cheap device to increase chances of rescue. It is an illuminator that is highly visible to night vision devices. You can't see it with the naked eye, but it is a beacon that flashes. It is small and connects to a 9 volt battery. You would just attach it to your hat or set it on top of your vehicle. Something to make it visible.

I picked one up after a night time hog hunt years ago in Texas where we all wore them as a safety device to keep someone from shooting us accidentally.

It takes up little more space than the battery.

Here's 1 link, but I'm sure I paid much less, but that was probably a decade ago.

https://tnvc.com/shop/phoenix-jr-infrared-beacon/?doing_wp_cron=1611669427.0954229831695556640625

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Milita...Strobe-Cejay-IR-Infrared-Beacon-/182243971342

Jeep Gladiator Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) & Satellite Messengers 1611669605083

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
Beyond communication devices, I've got a very interesting tiny and cheap device to increase chances of rescue. It is an illuminator that is highly visible to night vision devices. You can't see it with the naked eye, but it is a beacon that flashes. It is small and connects to a 9 volt battery. You would just attach it to your hat or set it on top of your vehicle. Something to make it visible.

I picked one up after a night time hog hunt years ago in Texas where we all wore them as a safety device to keep someone from shooting us accidentally.

Here's 1 link, but I'm sure I paid much less, but that was probably a decade ago.

https://tnvc.com/shop/phoenix-jr-infrared-beacon/?doing_wp_cron=1611669427.0954229831695556640625

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Milita...Strobe-Cejay-IR-Infrared-Beacon-/182243971342

Jeep Gladiator Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) & Satellite Messengers 1611669605083
Interesting you bring those up. I have used versions that are programmable and to mark landing zones and drop zones.

The only issue with those for most people is that they are IR, a visible one would be more appropriate. You can mark a landing zone for a helicopter and also mark obstacles with two or surround the obstacle with them.

Issues I have experience with them:
- 9-volt battery. Always need to have a good one. Plus you tend to have multiple types of batteries and it is a pain. I tend to keep one common type, much easier to manage and have back ups.

- I have had them fail in the past. For some reason they stop working and they are throw away at that point.

Awesome light and many uses.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting you bring those up. I have used versions that are programmable and to mark landing zones and drop zones.

The only issue with those for most people is that they are IR, a visible one would be more appropriate. You can mark a landing zone for a helicopter and also mark obstacles with two or surround the obstacle with them.

Issues I have experience with them:
- 9-volt battery. Always need to have a good one. Plus you tend to have multiple types of batteries and it is a pain. I tend to keep one common type, much easier to manage and have back ups.

- I have had them fail in the past. For some reason they stop working and they are throw away at that point.

Awesome light and many uses.
Yep, all good points. It is just one trick in the bag of goodies. Obviously other signaling devices are good. I have a flashlight fetish, so I've usually got everything from small ones to a 12k lumen powerhouse to a Javelot that can throw a tight beam over a mile. Plus plenty of fire starting gear, too!

I think I paid $10 for that little thing at the time, and having looked at it through even gen 1 NV equipment, it is nice and bright. I figure between GPS coordinates, lights, the beacon, fire, and radio communication, the odds of finding me are great. Unless my wife pays them off to casually overlook me.;)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I've got one or two of them IR strobes one helmet mount and the 9v battery one.
I had ACR PLB years ago just like in photo way back in this thread. Good piece of equipment, just try to have some emergency fund / insurance to cover the cost.
Sponsored