Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Got a great deal on this today. Now what? I have the OEM winch bumper and the optional switches. I need a plate. What else?

A1220A77-98BB-46C8-B8AC-657C402A2F16.jpeg
Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Got a great deal on this today. Now what? I have the OEM winch bumper and the optional switches. I need a plate. What else?

Jeep Gladiator Picked this up, what’s next? A1220A77-98BB-46C8-B8AC-657C402A2F16
Use an AUX switch to switch on a solenoid to power the winch.

Reactions: A 2
OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Thanks, So I need to buy a solenoid? have a part #?

Oh, BTW, I have a diesel so I’d like to move the box on top of the winch so it doesn’t block the grill.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Thanks, So I need to buy a solenoid? have a part #?

Oh, BTW, I have a diesel so I’d like to move the box on top of the winch so it doesn’t block the grill.
Just look around on ebay or other places. I went with a dual for my own preference. Just make sure it will handle like 500 Amps. I see a lot of people use lower rated ones and wonder how long they last.

Sponsored

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
You said you have the OEM winch bumper, so there are a few plate options out there. I've heard lots of good things about the Warn mounting plate. I went with the Mopar plate because I got a decent price on it, and because when I bought mine, most places were on backorder for just about every plate out there (thank you Covid). The Mopar plate is solid. But, the install was a PITA. However, everything lined up perfectly (bumper, skid plate, etc.) afterwards. I've heard of several people running into issues getting the factory skid plate reinstalled with aftermarket plates. Good luck. You're gonna love that Warn. I may bite the bullet and upgrade to it one day.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Do you just trim the plastic piece And leave it on? Plenty of excess holes in the steel behind the trim.
Jeep Gladiator Picked this up, what’s next? image
Jeep Gladiator Picked this up, what’s next? image

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Yes, get this one, or one like it. You sandwich it between the bumper and the fairlead using the fairlead plate mounting bolts. I had to get longer bolts from Home Depot for mine to account for the extra thickness of the plate. Just make sure they're not too long where you run the chance of your cable/rope rubbing against them as the line builds up on the spool. Also, make sure the plate you order is for the "CENTERED" opening. There are some out there for an offset opening, which places the opening more to the left of right, depending on which way you mount the plate. I'm not sure why the offset plate exists, but I'm sure there's a reason it's out there.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
So I ordered the Warn winch plate. That should be here Monday. This is going to be a slow mod, I see it already. Luckily work gave me a worktruck and I can take my time with the Jeep.

next up- I want to relocate the control box. Can I just purchase heavy wire and move the box under the hood? Anyone know what AWG? Also, I have a diesel and have no clue where to put this thing. It doesn’t look like there is any room under the hood.
Sponsored