Sponsored

Picked up a new Grand Cherokee L Thursday and Already been in Service twice.

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon and 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Estimator for Pharma facilities
Vehicle Showcase
Traded our 20 Durango in on one of the new Grand Cherokee Ls on Thursday. So far regretting it. The first day we had it at 45 miles the service 4wd light came on then we stopped and restarted the car a couple times and it went away. Had them run diagnostics on it and they saw it tripped and thought it was a software glitch, they said it it happens again to call. Next day it happens again and my wife noticed it binding up when she would turn the wheels while the light was one. Shut it off and it went away again. So its in the dealer this morning for the second time in under of week of ownership. Also not thrilled with the new 10" Uconnect's in these, its been very glitch compared to the 8" in my Gladiator or Durango. The skip song switch on the steering wheel only works some of the time and its been freezing the radio when I try to connect to car play and I have to turn the car on and off to reset it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PunknJLBlackJT

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Picked up a new Grand Cherokee L Thursday and Already been in Service twice. IMG_8469

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
What model is yours?

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
They sound like minor issues for a new model. I’m on the Bronco forum, same crap, 1st year model design issues.

Sponsored

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
My wife and I test drove an "L" just to see. It's an impressive vehicle, however, I feel like some of the strengths of the outgoing Grand Cherokee are missing on the L. For one, the V6 Pentastar really feels long in the tooth in that vehicle. I was surprised because the 8 speed/V6 combo works well in a lot of other FCA/Stellantis products. My Gladiator feels more responsive. Also, I 100% agree about the new Uconnect system. I much prefer the 8.4-inch older UConnect. The new one is less user-friendly, slower and glitchier. Also, I was shocked that the back-up camera looked grainy. The cameras in the RAM and the Gladiator/Wrangler are both high-def and awesome. Why did the L get a crap back-up camera or is it just the larger screen that distorts it?

OP
OP
PunknJLBlackJT

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I test drove an "L" just to see. It's an impressive vehicle, however, I feel like some of the strengths of the outgoing Grand Cherokee are missing on the L. For one, the V6 Pentastar really feels long in the tooth in that vehicle. I was surprised because the 8 speed/V6 combo works well in a lot of other FCA/Stellantis products. My Gladiator feels more responsive. Also, I 100% agree about the new Uconnect system. I much prefer the 8.4-inch older UConnect. The new one is less user-friendly, slower and glitchier. Also, I was shocked that the back-up camera looked grainy. The cameras in the RAM and the Gladiator/Wrangler are both high-def and awesome. Why did the L get a crap back-up camera or is it just the larger screen that distorts it?
The Durango we traded in also had the grainy camera, it looks better on the L but its for sure not as clear as the one on my Gladiator. Not sure what the deal is there.

OP
OP
PunknJLBlackJT

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The interior is a vast improvement over the Durango and the kid camera and captains chair make the L way more useful with a 3rd kid due next month. I should have waited but they offered me $3k more for my Durango than I bought it for in January.

Sponsored

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The Durango we traded in also had the grainy camera, it looks better on the L but its for sure not as clear as the one on my Gladiator. Not sure what the deal is there.
Yeah, makes sense on the Durango because it's an older design. On a ground-up redesign like the L I expected better. That said, the L is impressive nonetheless. I hope your issues get resolved. There's a lot of new tech on that vehicle and the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. Hopefully they get it right. The outgoing Durango/Grand Cherokee platform was really solid and reliable.

Tokolosh

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
We will be adding a GC L to our family but we decided we wanted to wait until mid 2022 specifically so first run and first design issues can get worked out.

Hopefully the issues you are having will be fairly simple to resolve.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, that's a bit disappointing to hear. Especially surrounding the 10" Uconnect. Our lease on our Explorer is already up and we did the 1 year free extension for obvious reasons. Currently auto climate sucks and our lease is dirt cheap. The Grand Cherokee L is at the top of our list with one or two other vehicles. I was waiting for my dealership to bring back the 7% invoice pricing on special builds so that I could get one... sounds like I should re-think and/or at least wait until a few more software updates are pushed out.

OP
OP
PunknJLBlackJT

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, that's a bit disappointing to hear. Especially surrounding the 10" Uconnect. Our lease on our Explorer is already up and we did the 1 year free extension for obvious reasons. Currently auto climate sucks and our lease is dirt cheap. The Grand Cherokee L is at the top of our list with one or two other vehicles. I was waiting for my dealership to bring back the 7% invoice pricing on special builds so that I could get one... sounds like I should re-think and/or at least wait until a few more software updates are pushed out.
Yea I really hope they resolve these issues, it sounds like both the Service 4wd light and the Uconnect issues others have been having as well. I really like this model, and it feels much nicer inside than any of the other Suv's we've had.

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Traded our 20 Durango in on one of the new Grand Cherokee Ls on Thursday. So far regretting it. The first day we had it at 45 miles the service 4wd light came on then we stopped and restarted the car a couple times and it went away. Had them run diagnostics on it and they saw it tripped and thought it was a software glitch, they said it it happens again to call. Next day it happens again and my wife noticed it binding up when she would turn the wheels while the light was one. Shut it off and it went away again. So its in the dealer this morning for the second time in under of week of ownership. Also not thrilled with the new 10" Uconnect's in these, its been very glitch compared to the 8" in my Gladiator or Durango. The skip song switch on the steering wheel only works some of the time and its been freezing the radio when I try to connect to car play and I have to turn the car on and off to reset it.
Sorry to say but I have heard it before and with my own 5 uconnect, " Jeep can't even build a working radio " I got a refund after a year talking to jeep cares for the radio. Start a case and give it some time they may come out with a software fix. As long as it's not the base radio like mine, no redemption for that thing.
Sponsored