First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm not a frequent new car buyer, four in this life, and every vehicle I've bought has been a two hour or less transaction face to face with a dealership, but I totally GET why people buy cars through Costco.

I was confused 25 years ago, why you might want to pay a small premium just to avoid the dealer, but my wife recently educated me about things. Buying her Honda in a giant metro Phoenix market was SO difficult in 2016 (three years before we met), her shoulders went up around her ears when I said "let's go look at Jeeps!"

As much grief as men get, women get 10X more (1,000 %). No one would think to try to physically intimidate me - guess what, that happens! Me saying "thanks but no thanks" was not followed by two people talking loudly in my face - because violence is a possibility with a man, full stop.

The medical care system in this country is a more pressing target for reform, but the antiquated retail dealer system is even more ironically broken. Remember when buggy whips went out of fashion?

Also as a business owner, the industry is propped up solely on the backs of lobbyist dollars. It's due a major disruption to flush the whole outmoded and unnecessary leeching lot. No one just stumbles onto a lot and buys a car because some skeezball smiled real nice. Protectionist laws that didn't make sense even when they were passed are literally the only thing keeping the dealership boat afloat. Every. Single. Manufacturer would go straight to consumer if they could. Since we're playing with pretend money, I'd bet you dollar for dollar that sales would increase if people didn't have to mess with and line the pockets of dealers. It's a pretty universally unpleasant experience that everyone dreads. I used to buy and sell two cars a year; I can haggle. I can sell cars. I can buy them. Not once has any interaction with any dealer been worth the headache.
Sponsored

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Lol sounds like they were salty to have lost a sale. Itā€™s hilarious to me that I get so much hate and ā€œitā€™s a free marketā€ when I suggest that the dealer system is broken.

Hope it all works out for you OP.
The car business sucks. I almost bought my wife a Tesla Model 3 last week simply because the purchasing process was all over the computer. No haggling.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
As much grief as men get, women get 10X more (1,000 %).
I'm a car guy. My wife is also a car guy. When we bought her JKUR, it was shocking how some of the dealers treated her. She knew exactly what she wanted (and didn't want). I forget the specifics, but the salesman pissed her off so bad, she just walked. I supported that 100%.

I don't mind haggling. I'm really good at it. Between the buy and sell side of the two car a year habit, I made a few hundred to a few thousand dollars on each one. It's shit like the OP's deal. Tagging warranties void because some shithead didn't want to do their job. Enormous markups on deals done months ago (re: Bronco news lately). On and on and on and on and on and on and on. Enormous negative value at tremendous cost. We can all check boxes on a website, we don't need someone to do it for us a second time. Gupton's model comes closest to where things need to be. They charge what must be some pretty minimal upcharge to translate the boxes we check to Jeep's internal system, and then get out of the way. If indie shops could do warranty work, that'd be the rest of it.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I had the opposite problem. I wanted those leather seats and they ordered the factory leather. I 'm not understanding what you are showing me though. On my Gupton order, I believe that is what it looks like. You order the cloth seats and they replace or reupholster them with the mopar/katzkin seats. Both show on the order sheet. I don't have it here, but I can post it tomorrow if you would like to see.
sorry, 2nd pic didnā€™t post. Edited second post aboveā€”the one with this pic is the problem. If it says leather trimmed seats and also has the Mopar Katzkin option then the order was wrong to begin with. It should have cloth with Mopar Katzkin. Having the leather trimmed and Mopar Katzkin (a) double charges you $ and (b) is a conflict in the order system. If your sheet has that then it probably defaults to factory leather, non-Katzkin upgrade. Probably suck it up and move on.
Jeep Gladiator (Solved) Dealer Deposit Refund on Botched Order 1632352957682

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
I had the opposite problem. I wanted those leather seats and they ordered the factory leather. I 'm not understanding what you are showing me though. On my Gupton order, I believe that is what it looks like. You order the cloth seats and they replace or reupholster them with the mopar/katzkin seats. Both show on the order sheet. I don't have it here, but I can post it tomorrow if you would like to see.
Also, they donā€™t reupholster anything. You order cloth and they install Katzkin at the factory.

Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Iā€™m from Ma too and once tried To buy an Accord from the biggest dealer in Ma. This was probably 13 years ago. I go to the dealership with the ad in my hand, they show me the one car they have on the lot for that price ( std transmission, bottom trim level but under $15k if I remember correctly). I had done my homework and it was a great deal. I tell the guy Iā€™ll buy it and he says they need a deposit and I said that I intended to buy it right then and there. He said the guy at the table next to me might also be trying to buy it so I give them a check for $500 and say that the interest rate has to match what I was quoted ( the going rate) and the sales guy says it shouldnā€™t be an issue. 4 hours later Iā€™m finally with the finance guy ready to buy the car and the interest rate is crazy high. I said what is this all about, my credit score is excellent blah blah blah. He said this is the rate I can offer you. So I told him to keep the car, went over to the guy that took my deposit check earlier in the day and he said it was already cashed. It took me a month to get that $500 back. I was young and full of piss and vinegar and what I should have done in hindsight was take the car and refi the loan a month or so later to the right rate but I didnā€™t really know that was an option. Iā€™ll never set foot in that dealership again. ā€œCome on downā€

OP
OP
TwelveGaugeSage

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
If it shows factory leather

sorry, 2nd pic didnā€™t post.
Ah, yes, that absolutely makes sense now. Yeah, that's a nice catch on your part. In that configuration, would you get the other leather trim(arm rest, e-brake, etc.) that comes with the factory leather but not the katzkin?

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
The entire dealer system needs to be flushed. Back before the internet, an argument could be made for their existence. Now, they're a middleman that adds negative value. Zero value add, tons of friction, millions if not billions added market cost. ...This will probably get censored, but it comes out of my mouth just about any time a dealer is mentioned. Fuck. Dealers.
I wonder how long before auto dealers follow the Apple Model.. This is the price. Period. No shit. Not kidding. This is the price. Nope, I don't care who you are, this is the price. I'm here to help you choose options and take delivery. And talk to you about an extended warranty.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Ah, yes, that absolutely makes sense now. Yeah, that's a nice catch on your part. In that configuration, would you get the other leather trim(arm rest, e-brake, etc.) that comes with the factory leather but not the katzkin?
Nope. Katzkin deletes a lot of the other leatherā€”metal dash, rubber shifter knobs, rubber e-brake, no rear seat center armrest (you get floor cup holders), and if I recall correctly the door panels are different. Sold that JLU at 3yrs old in June to get my JTRD. Here are pics of the JLU.
Jeep Gladiator (Solved) Dealer Deposit Refund on Botched Order 0CE62DA8-4718-4E35-B82A-B0D5D7C38CBB
Jeep Gladiator (Solved) Dealer Deposit Refund on Botched Order 308BBBE0-70AA-4677-A7F2-BA71498F2B7D
Jeep Gladiator (Solved) Dealer Deposit Refund on Botched Order F6DEFE1C-0A08-408E-8829-E613D5439A96

OP
OP
TwelveGaugeSage

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
4 hours later Iā€™m finally with the finance guy ready to buy the car and the interest rate is crazy high. I said what is this all about, my credit score is excellent blah blah blah. He said this is the rate I can offer you.
I'm to the point where I generally just tell them to take their financing and shove it. Lightstream loans are SOOOOOOOOO much better than anything outside of incentive rates like 0%. Basically an auto loan rate unsecured personal loan.

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Old story from 98'.

I walked into the Jeep dealer in Kirkland WA to look at Jeeps. Sales guy came up said "We are really busy, can you come back later?" and gave me his card. I said "Sure!". :swear:

Drove down 10 miles to the Bellevue Jeep dealer, looked at a Wrangler, white, 4.0l, Manual, hard top that was perfect for me. Bought it on the spot. ;)

Drove back to the Kirkland Shop, parked in front in my new Jeep, asked for the sales Manager, nice guy. Asked me "every thing good with your new Jeep?". I told him "Ya! Love it my sales guy was great!".

He smiled and got all happy.... šŸ˜

Then I gave him the guys card and said, "This guy sent me away an hr ago, so I went to Bellevue and bought it there...." :like:

Sales Manger face dropped. I walked out hearing the sales guys name being called over the mic to come to the managers office.

Dumb ass :CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Another dealership for the Cancel Culture Crowd? Non-Refundable? Show me that in writing with a signature. Words are empty unless put to paper, IMO.
While I agree it needs to be in writing - it's not totally uncommon - otherwise, there's really no point in a deposit. What good is it? It's supposed to show YOU are serious, willing to risk money.
I sold a house several years ago and wrote in the sales contract the "earnest money" was not refundable. A woman said she wanted the house, put down the money, then backed out a week later. She went to her attorney who read the contract and said sorry, it says right here, you lose.
I am of the school of thought - a deposit isn't worth crap if you can simply walk in and ask for it back.

In this case - the dealership looks to have messed up the order, so either way, THEY broke the contract and didn't supply the vehicle as asked for.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I almost bought a TJ in '97, had the build sheet I wanted to order all printed out. Walked in and was told up front that what they had on the lot was what there was, tough shit.

That Jeep dealership no longer exists.

Old story from 98'.

I walked into the Jeep dealer in Kirkland WA to look at Jeeps. Sales guy came up said "We are really busy, can you come back later?" and gave me his card. I said "Sure!". :swear:

Drove down 10 miles to the Bellevue Jeep dealer, looked at a Wrangler, white, 4.0l, Manual, hard top that was perfect for me. Bought it on the spot. ;)

Drove back to the Kirkland Shop, parked in front in my new Jeep, asked for the sales Manager, nice guy. Asked me "every thing good with your new Jeep?". I told him "Ya! Love it my sales guy was great!".

He smiled and got all happy.... šŸ˜

Then I gave him the guys card and said, "This guy sent me away an hr ago, so I went to Bellevue and bought it there...." :like:

Sales Manger face dropped. I walked out hearing the sales guys name being called over the mic to come to the managers office.

Dumb ass :CWL:
Sponsored