abirozy1971

First Name
adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla model s / shopping for gladiator
Hello all.

I am brand new to Jeeps and to off roading. I currently have a Tesla model S but need something to haul with and have been looking to get a truck as a second car. It would not be my daily driver and I am not sure how much off roading I would do, but I have ABSOLUTELY fell in love with the new Gladiator. Obviously, since this is a second car, I do not want to spend too much, but want it to look good, be functional and realize I will have to spend some.

I need advice on if it is better to get a Rubicon or an overland to save a little. I like the aggressive look of the Rubicon, but hate the red / plastic dash.

I would love advice on what I should put into a build for the budget conscious person who wants an aggressive looking build, realizes he has to spend money, but wants to keep cost in mind when designing. Here is what I am thinking so far.

· Bright White

· 2 ½ inch lift

· Black Rhino Shredder wheels in gunmetal

o https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-shredder.php

· 37 or 38 inch all terrain tires

· Rock Slide step slider

o https://rockslideengineering.com/product-tag/jeep-gladiator-jt/

· Mini Tazer

· Black rockskins or similar (don’t need the rocksliders that come with this combo)

. o http://evomfg.com/EVO-MFG-Products/Jeep-Gladiator-JT?product_id=482

· ADD Stealth Fighter Bumper with Hoop and Winch plate

o https://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/jeep-wrangler-gladiator-winch-front-bumper-F961752080103

· Possibly a winch, although it adds weight and not sure if I would ever use.

Also, I would like advice on if it is better to save money by getting headliners, leather interior, and bed liners as aftermarket or just get them as options when I order my Gladiator. I have heard that a lot of the aftermarket options are better than what you can order on the Gladiator for less or about the same. The following were options I was thinking of:

· Hothead Headliner with sound assassin strips full set

o https://hotheadheadliners.com/colle...2020-jeep-gladiator-jt?variant=15491410329666

· Katzkin leather seats (heated and ventilated)

· LineX bed liner platinum

. o https://linex.com/bedliners/platinum

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Initial Launch Jeep Gladiator
Adam,

I probably don't speak for all of the Jeep Gladiator community, so this is just my personal opinion. Your posts sounds like a pitch for after market accessories and parts rather than a sincere request for advise. Part of being a Jeep owner for me has to do with being independent. It telegraphs a free spirit attitude about not giving a f@@k about what others think when it comes to how you build your Jeep, what it it looks like or how you intend to use it. It's fine to research on your own and ask others opinions during the process while you make your choices (maybe that's what you were doing, but not how I interpreted), but make your choices based on what you want your build to do and how you want it to look. It took me 2 months to decide on a winch and only deciding on how I want it mounted and to look like recently (I should have wait before I mounted the winch on the factory steel bumper, but impatience got the better of me). We post our photos here so that we can show off what we like and to hell with anyone that doesn't like it or wants to criticize our choices. Take your truck out on or off the road. Use it for what the designers envisioned and make it your own. If you don't like something, you can let people know why you changed it if you want, or not. If you like it, share it, or not. Either way, the Jeep becomes unique to you and express who you are by just looking at it. What more could you ask for? Don't wind up with someone else's idea of what it should do or look like! I understand your a first time Jeep buyer, so this is the best advice I can give you in that regard. Be prepared to make wrong decisions and learn from them. Enjoy the right decisions and be one with your Gladiator. In the end, you're the only one who is going to know if it's right for you.

Owning a Jeep is like having a tattoo. You can be one of those people that pick #10 out of the book or off the wall (someone else's idea). Or you can draw your idea from something deep inside that inspires you and expresses your paradigm of the world and core values. It's a personal thing and should reflect that. So is owning a Jeep. Just like when you drive down the street and come across another Jeep owner and wave. They know it's a Jeep thing. When you come across someone that doesn't, they just don't get it (or paying attention to what they're suppose to, like looking at what's in front of them). But most Jeep owners can multitask. Don't you want to be one of them?

I'm not trying to be critical. Just expressing how I responded to your post. I could be an asshole. I don't know, but there you have it. I didn't go with 37's because I think their not very practical for what I use my JT for, (overland fishing and hunting trips, just getting out of the f#$king city.) and chose 35's instead. But I did think about 37's for a long time before I finally came to a decision and after some discussions with others why I was thinking of going with 37's. In the end, it wasn't about something looking cool (which is what I think most that choose them for), it was about being practical. I'm just a practical guy.

That's it for me.

Good luck

Last edited:

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Your truck on 38s and 2" of lift? Towing will be interesting. I would leave the truck stock if you plan to tow with it.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
If you plan on 37`s you need a Rubicon or a Sport S with Max Tow to get the needed 4:10 gearing.

Some lifts also require 4.5 wheel backspacing without having to add wheel spacers.

Everything needs to be well thought out otherwise your not going to get the look you want the first time. Buy the truck first then go from there.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Just as an FYI OP, not all Rubicons have the red dash
Sponsored