Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
‘21 Gladiator and ‘21 4xE owners here. Couldn’t be happier with our JTR, and Jeep in general. We’ve had many Jeeps over the years, and have been loyal owners. The 4xE on the other hand has a serious problem. It’s got 500 miles on it and has been terrible since day one. It’s our 4th plug-in, and we’re very familiar with the tech. It’s currently at the dealer, who doesn’t want to help with it, but only wants to prove to us that it’s fine. It will not use electric power, ever. We researched its capabilities extensively before purchasing, and the manual clearly documents what it’s “supposed” to function like. We’ve documented it extensively for the 14 Days we’ve owned it. I’d appreciate a private message from @JeepCares about this, and then need a phone call to discuss the situation. I recommend that anyone considering this platform, be very careful if any part of their year has colder temperatures. Keep in mind, we don’t live in extreme winter conditions. Our winters consist of very few days that get to zero, with average temps around 20-35 in the coldest months. Certainly nothing extreme. It’s 37 and sunny today on December 19th. Mild at best.
Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Someone else on the forum mentioned this same issue. Sucks to hear.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I'd call them directly. Jeep cares that is.

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Someone else on the forum mentioned this same issue. Sucks to hear.
I spoke to them in a private message. Identical symptoms, and identical non-response from their dealer. They sold theirs.

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd call them directly. Jeep cares that is.
I tried 5 times last week. I was unable to get through to a person unfortunately. I was told I’d get a call back, but didn’t receive one. I’m posting on the forum after trying that and trying to get help from our dealer, and not getting results.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy of mine just bought one about a month ago for his wife and is having no problems with it using electric power. She has about a 95 mile round trip daily to work and I think he said it's getting like 51 mpg right now. Yours definitely should be using the electric power like it's supposed to. They took it to Florida the 1st week they had it and he said they ended up at 29mpg for the whole trip there and back. I'm not totally sure how the hybrids work so I'm just saying what he told me was you get about 200 or so miles of range before it kicks over to gas.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Contact @JeepCares with a Private Message and they will get back to you. They don't work nights or weekends.
Beat me to it, this right here. They had no problems getting back to me when I had the third brake light issue with mine.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And you tried the customer service number in the book? Jeepcares is different - not the same thing.
As a service guy said when I was trying to get a tonneau cover taken care of "they have online teams" and there are other teams the dealer shops deal with.
Jeep cares started the ball rolling, got me connected with another person who told me to have dealer service contact them........ so I actually started with JeepCares and in the end it was another person, another team. It then went up to STAR.
JeepCares is more of a liaison here on the internet and has little to do with things otherwise - they connect with the right people depending on the issue and need. But they have no power themselves.
(and like others have said - they are basically M-F, 9-5 so to speak - they aren't support themselves, more of a front line help desk)

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy of mine just bought one about a month ago for his wife and is having no problems with it using electric power. She has about a 95 mile round trip daily to work and I think he said it's getting like 51 mpg right now. Yours definitely should be using the electric power like it's supposed to. They took it to Florida the 1st week they had it and he said they ended up at 29mpg for the whole trip there and back. I'm not totally sure how the hybrids work so I'm just saying what he told me was you get about 200 or so miles of range before it kicks over to gas.
Florida is warm. This is an issue in colder temperatures that doesn’t allow use of full electric mode. Hybrid is different than pure electric mode. Documentation says it goes approximately 21 miles on full electric mode at highway speeds. It seems that this is true only in warm climates. And it’s 20 miles of range before gas is supposed to kick in, not 200. We get zero miles on electric. It won’t allow pure electric mode to be used. In hybrid, it uses 100% internal combustion engine power, and zero from electric. I don’t know where your friend lives, but this appears to be an issue in colder ambient temperatures.

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And you tried the customer service number in the book? Jeepcares is different - not the same thing.
As a service guy said when I was trying to get a tonneau cover taken care of "they have online teams" and there are other teams the dealer shops deal with.
Jeep cares started the ball rolling, got me connected with another person who told me to have dealer service contact them........ so I actually started with JeepCares and in the end it was another person, another team. It then went up to STAR.
JeepCares is more of a liaison here on the internet and has little to do with things otherwise - they connect with the right people depending on the issue and need. But they have no power themselves.
(and like others have said - they are basically M-F, 9-5 so to speak - they aren't support themselves, more of a front line help desk)
I understand. As I’ve been unable to get in touch with customer service, and the dealer is not helping thus far, I’m hoping for exactly that liaison to get in touch with someone at Jeep that can assist with this. A STAR case would be a good start.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Drove a number of hybrids when I worked for the state - Honda, Toywagon and so on. They don't really "Switch" or kick over to anything. They use both when power is needed, if the batteries are low they'll use gas more and more often. Pull up to a stop light in town, the gas engine shuts down until you press the pedal again. I noticed they used gas power much of the time, it was more electric assist in some conditions.
They don't run the batteries any specific miles and then switch over. A lot depends on hills and braking to regenerate or recharge the batteries.
These aren't an "either/or" where they'll run their limit on one and then switch to the other, they generally use smarts to decide what they need to do. Need to accelerate heavy - you'll have gas and the electric will kick in and give you a kick in the butt - at least those state cars did. In town the gas engine stopped and started quite a bit. I don't really recall them being on full electric a lot or for any length of time but that has been 6 or 7 years ago!

As I’ve been unable to get in touch with customer service, and the dealer is not helping thus far, I’m hoping for exactly that liaison to get in touch with someone at Jeep that can assist with this. A STAR case would be a good start.
Are you stuck with that specific dealer for any reason? Are you too far away from another dealer? You don't have to use any specific Jeep dealer - you could bring it to Iowa and stop at Dewey and they'd take care of you even if you never bought anything from them. They don't seem to get hung up on that. We take two Jeeps to them and we didn't buy either one from them.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Battery performance is affected by temperature. I'm not familiar with the 4xe system, but my Nissan Leaf pops up warning messages when the temperature gets down to 38° while driving it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.