Sponsored

Poll on Sunrider JL Wind Noise

Does the Sunrider for JL cause more wind noise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I am considering getting a Sunrider but concerned about the wind noise. I have heard mixed opinions so I thought I would put it to a vote.
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
More noise than what? soft top or hard top.?

In my case I have the hardtop, and yes initially you will notice more noise like any other convertible roof vs a hard roof and you will be able to hear more outside noises like a loud car stereo or loud trucks. But I don't find it to be annoying or bothersome at all, after a week or so it will seem normal. I installed mine in November (I was part of the delayed batch and got a great price on it). I left it on during the winter months (mine is garaged) but you will notice the cold when temps get below 25 degrees or so and the head area of the cabin will be colder. Next winter I will probably put the panels back on for that reason.

Other than that the Sunrider is an excellent product and works perfect for me, I really love it and Bestop offers a life time warranty and great customer service...

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I voted "no" because the extra noise is almost unnoticeable. I have since a couple of weeks after install a very annoying "squeak" or rattle on the passenger side. Sounds like a Styrofoam squeak, there is some Styrofoam in the Bestop Sunrider but does not "seem" to come from that exact area, still trying to locate? HT panels will be hanging in their bag in the garage til next winter. Probably could leave it on, but really don't wanna be cleaning snow/ice of the Twill.

Other than that we love it and hope the rainy weather here in the N.E. changes from monsoon weather to some nice warmer sunshine. We can then use it's great advantage more often and I can commute more on my MC, that's even more open!! lol

Go Jeep!!!

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Outside noises come in more than a hard top... obviously...it's cloth. I wouldn't say "wind noise"...maybe more road noise.

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
Thinking about buying...is highway bearable to have conversation on 90 min drives at 70mph?

Really what I'm asking is...will girlfriend complain? Lol

Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
Thinking about buying...is highway bearable to have conversation on 90 min drives at 70mph?

It's definitely an increase in noise, but it's more noise from other vehicles that comes through the fabric vs. wind noise. In any case, it's perfectly easy to carry on a conversation at 70MPH with it on. If you're thinking about buying it, just go for it. It is by far my favorite accessory for a hardtop. It's super easy to flip open on a whim when stopped in traffic, and super quick to close, all without leaving the drivers seat.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking Sunrider for hard top? If so, I don't think it makes much noise at all. I've got one on my JK, too, and I think it is pretty quiet, too.

Lmike6453

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude (Black)
It's definitely an increase in noise, but it's more noise from other vehicles that comes through the fabric vs. wind noise. In any case, it's perfectly easy to carry on a conversation at 70MPH with it on. If you're thinking about buying it, just go for it. It is by far my favorite accessory for a hardtop. It's super easy to flip open on a whim when stopped in traffic, and super quick to close, all without leaving the drivers seat.
Are you talking Sunrider for hard top? If so, I don't think it makes much noise at all. I've got one on my JK, too, and I think it is pretty quiet, too.
Awesome thanks guys. Going to place an order tonight!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Mine sounds like you have a window closed, but not tightly, if that makes sense.
Almost like you just bumped a window switch or something. You quickly get used to it, and there’s no draft or leaking. It’s one of my favorite accessories.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
If you mean with it closed then it’s not really an issue. Maybe slightly louder but it’s fine.

I don’t like to drive with it open over 55 or so.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah the poll is too binary IMO.

The answer is a little more noise. In heavy rain or hail it's noisier than the hard top, which kinda surprised me. I thought the fabric might "absorb" that noise but instead you're aware very little separates you from the outside.

But otherwise the additional noise is negligible.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
As above the value out weights the ease of use compared to panels! Well worth the cost my wife and I love it. Actually my wife loves the JLU so much I barely get to drive it now, stuck with our Cherokee Trailhawk! The Sunrider is easy for her, the panel removal was not! Sunrider open about 75% more than panels were removed!

If your girlfriend complains about the Sunrider for the hardtop, get a new girlfriend before the relation goes to far!!! lol

Go jeep!!!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Wait, you’re saying NOT being able to talk or listen to your girlfriend for ninety minutes is a bad thing?
Those would be my favorite moments of the day.

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
Hello guys
Just purchased one and wanting to know did you all buy the bestop protectant for black twill fabric??
Sponsored