Sponsored

Popping sound coming from the front end when in 4 wheel drive.

Skyhawk1755

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500, Chevy Equinox , Honda VTX 1300, Stingray 180 RX
Occupation
General manager
This the first 4 wheel drive vehicle I've owned so I dont know if it's normal. I was driving down a trail and came up to a stretch that had a decent patch of mud on it. I put it in 4H and plowed threw it. I noticed a popping sound coming from the front end for the couple of minutes it was in 4H. The sound wasnt a constant popping but it did it a few times in about 2 minutes. Any ideas as to whether I should worry or is it normal?
Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
This the first 4 wheel drive vehicle I've owned so I dont know if it's normal. I was driving down a trail and came up to a stretch that had a decent patch of mud on it. I put it in 4H and plowed threw it. I noticed a popping sound coming from the front end for the couple of minutes it was in 4H. The sound wasnt a constant popping but it did it a few times in about 2 minutes. Any ideas as to whether I should worry or is it normal?
Usually a popping sound in 4wd is a u joint or something at an hard angle causing binding. I'd have someone walk along the side of the jeep and try and narrow it down.

OP
OP
Skyhawk1755

Skyhawk1755

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500, Chevy Equinox , Honda VTX 1300, Stingray 180 RX
Occupation
General manager
Usually a popping sound in 4wd is a u joint or something at an hard angle causing binding. I'd have someone walk along the side of the jeep and try and narrow it down.
I will do that in the next couple of days and report back.
Sponsored