Positive terminal

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Started in on the Magnuson install and going by the directions and they only have you removing the negative battery cables from the negative terminal. Should the Positive be disconnected also as there is no mention to do that.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No need as you have no flow and no potential with the negative taken off. Make sure the negative cable end can't possibly touch the battery neg terminal. I usually wrap it with something.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Make sure you are disconnecting the negative terminals in a manner which also disconnects the ESS battery. I believe this is done by disconnecting both battery cables where they attach to the body, but please verify this.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
No need as you have no flow and no potential with the negative taken off. Make sure the negative cable end can't possibly touch the battery neg terminal. I usually wrap it with something.
Ok, good. I do have them taped up so as not to make contact. Just odd that the interior lights worked and the door locks also. So I got a little concerned after disconnecting the PCM.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Renegade is right - ESS means there's a second battery you need to disconnect! Make sure the negative cable for that is also off.......... I've not paid attention but I think it may connect to the negative terminal at the main battery so separate them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
This is what I have. all three cables are disconnected separately, one being the winch negative and also the little plug that was connected to the negative terminal. Yeah I know not naming it as I have no idea what it is but was instructed to remove it.
Jeep Gladiator Positive terminal battery

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
This is off topic but related. More of a rant. What sucks is my reflashed PCM is sitting at the UPS terminal 30 miles from me, arrived this Saturday morning but they are closed so I can not go get it and it will be delivered Monday.
Silly thing is I ordered something else and it left Kentucky, ground shipping on the 25th a.m. and is out for delivery today, Saturday with UPS. PCM was sent out the 24th, passed thru Kentucky and left on the 25th p.m. and it is shipping 2nd air!

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
This is what I have. all three cables are disconnected separately, one being the winch negative and also the little plug that was connected to the negative terminal. Yeah I know not naming it as I have no idea what it is but was instructed to remove it.
Jeep Gladiator Positive terminal battery
Just to verify, in the attached pic, the lead on the left is the one that goes to the secondary battery and has to be disconnected as well. I don't have a winch installed so of course one less connection.
Jeep Gladiator Positive terminal 61394114182__219C92DB-7940-479C-BE20-0B48AEDA7375.JPG

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is off topic but related. More of a rant. What sucks is my reflashed PCM is sitting at the UPS terminal 30 miles from me, arrived this Saturday morning but they are closed so I can not go get it and it will be delivered Monday.
Silly thing is I ordered something else and it left Kentucky, ground shipping on the 25th a.m. and is out for delivery today, Saturday with UPS. PCM was sent out the 24th, passed thru Kentucky and left on the 25th p.m. and it is shipping 2nd air!
Weird as I've had stuff delivered Saturday UPS.
Frankly, I've followed tracking for UPS, USPS, and Fedex, and it's confusing how things work out at times. (and frustrating when you see UPS is an hour away and you get an email saying "your delivery will be delayed due to unforeseen circumstances" - keep the truck there, I'll come get it!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just to verify, in the attached pic, the lead on the left is the one that goes to the secondary battery and has to be disconnected as well. I don't have a winch installed so of course one less connection.
Jeep Gladiator Positive terminal 61394114182__219C92DB-7940-479C-BE20-0B48AEDA7375.JPG
Excellent pic - he did day "all three cables are disconnected separetly" but your confirmation could mean the difference between success and blown parts. Otherwise that second battery grounds through its connection to the main cable back to the chassis.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
That is what was wrong. I had the two negatives still attached to each other but off of the neg. terminal. Thought that was all I needed then when I separated them and saw a little spark and from what PEI-Gladys said so I separated them no more power. First pic is what I had and second is the way I have it now.
Thanks guys for your help.

battery was.jpg

battery now.jpg

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Weird as I've had stuff delivered Saturday UPS.
Frankly, I've followed tracking for UPS, USPS, and Fedex, and it's confusing how things work out at times. (and frustrating when you see UPS is an hour away and you get an email saying "your delivery will be delayed due to unforeseen circumstances" - keep the truck there, I'll come get it!
Update....The PCM showed up!! Last I looked it was not out for delivery.

Woohoo! Looks like it will be running this weekend if I don't give out fist. A lot of little crap to do first.

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
About how many hours did it take to install?

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
About how many hours did it take to install?
I am almost embarrassed to say......About 20 hrs, 12 of that by myself and the rest with the help of my son. I have to say also that I did not get into any hurry installing it as I wanted to it be right the first time I put something on. We also had to contend with rain on Sunday, which meant putting an easy up, up to stay dry and try to keep it from blowing away.
I have to say a lot of time is spent on understanding the directions, they seem clear until you get into it and then they do not always make sense when you are doing it. Plus I did not lay everything out before I started, so I had to dig for each item. Sure that did not help. It is amazing though how much little stuff you have to do as in moving and removing stuff but it sure looks good when you are done and runs pretty darn good. Not going to say right now how it is doing until I get some more time on it.

easyup.jpg

supercharger.jpg

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Please review when able!
Sponsored