First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
From what I understand there can be some legality issues with having a stubby bumper. I know for a fact that in Australia if I ever plan on shipping the Jeep over and exploring there that it’s a No No. That said what issues would one face in the US, Canada, or South of the Border? Since a good portion of my travel will be between Alaska down the PanAmerican and everything in between. I would rather not have to deal with issues of getting pulled over or having the deal with bribes by corrupt police.
Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Do you have a specific law you’re referring to?

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a specific law you’re referring to?
just something I’ve gotten from a few buddies who have traveled outside of the United States. IE Africa and Europe mostly. Also talked to one in Australia after talking with a guy I met at Overland Expo who does”The Road Chose Me” and he said with his new gladiator build he could not use a stubby bumper and was working with AEV to install there expedition bumper because of these issues.

I know some of my trips to places like Europe or Australia could be a few years out and have other issues such as needing to delete some emissions stuff to run non ULS Diesel. But want to not have to spend money twice in a bumper if it is indeed true. especially if I will run into issues down in Mexico or South America. Rather not have that type of attention.

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I always go with the famous OJ Simson quote from his banned book "If I Did It", "Give me Liberty or give me Death".
Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper STC_0837.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
I always go with the famous OJ Simson quote from his banned book "If I Did It", "Give me Liberty or give me Death".
Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper STC_0837.JPG
Good for you. But not good for you when in the middle of a foreign country when things like this can end up with you vehicle confiscated or worse in jail, along with issues from cultural and language differences. Yelling all you want give me liberty won’t do anything for you or your spouse sitting in a jail cell or you pup traveling with you taking out back and shot behind the police station.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I had a JK with the evo quarter pounder bumper with the stinger. I always wondered what the consequences would be like if I T-boned someone with the stinger. The stinger would be at head level for most passenger vehicles and if I t-boned someone, that would most likely cause some serious damage. Luckily that never happened. However, this time around I'll be keeping the mopar steel bumper is stubby form.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
The fact of the matter is, unless something is blatantly unsafe or illegal, there is usually a lot of discretion involving the attitude of both police and driver.

If you get pulled over right after the cop's wife left him for his mother, and you get snarky about the powdered sugar on his uniform from his donut, you'll find almost every mod you made "does not conform to Original Equipment Manufacturer specifications."
Aftermarket lights? Ticket.
Aftermarket bumpers? Ticket.
Lift? Ticket.
Tire size doesn't match what's printed on the door? Ticket.

Those are all things I was ticketed for (multiple times, lol) back when I was young and stupid that I don't worry about now. Only thing that's changed is my age and behavior.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Legal System and Law Enforcement can be very different in Foreign Countries. Learn the Laws and Customs of any place you plan to travel to, and be respectful and responsible while there. It will minimize any potential issues while there. Respect for Rights and Life are not the same as we expect here.

Sponsored

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator, 22 Mitsubishi Outlander
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
I had stubby on my JK for years. I was once pulled over by a trooper in NJ (for speeding not the the mods) he told me the bumper as well as my light bar were illegal. He didn’t ticket me, or even give me a warning for them. But he did mention it.

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
The best thing you can do is find the bumper laws where you will be traveling and read them. Print them out and keep them with you. Every state has their own laws so you can't assume its the same everywhere.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Good for you. But not good for you when in the middle of a foreign country when things like this can end up with you vehicle confiscated or worse in jail, along with issues from cultural and language differences. Yelling all you want give me liberty won’t do anything for you or your spouse sitting in a jail cell or you pup traveling with you taking out back and shot behind the police station.
You must be a blast at parties.

My advice for you regarding your bumper is to stop watching Midnight Express.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
You must be a blast at parties.

My advice for you regarding your bumper is to stop watching Midnight Express.
I am fun enough to know what foreign jails looks like. Fun enough to have done tours down in South America enough where a corrupt cop gets my info and checks with his cartel buddies enough at that point to put my families safety in jeopardy. It’s no joke, same reason I am finding alternatives to protect ourselves if needed as I won’t be carrying a firearm South of the Border. Something I’ve always been taught in many ways. Be the grey man, though honestly am bucking it a good bit in a new vehicle and not an older rover or land cruiser. But staying out of the cities and not traveling at night will do wonders. The more I can do to alleviate any possible issues the better our trip will be. I am far from worried about the United States honestly. This is just something that I did not consider before being an issue. Something now I will need to do some quick research for possible issues in the future as we travel. Avoiding them headfirst and the expense in the build. I was hoping others had some experiences with this not just retort.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Local, state, provincial and territorial laws my differ. Thats the best answer. Most I assume yes it is illegal and most if not all vehicle are crash rated with full width bumpers. But damn stubbys look good!

A065BAB0-5B03-4565-AE23-FBF022AA564B.jpeg
Sponsored