Sponsored

Possible to Install Proximity Sensors?

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
I screwed up and didn't think I would want the proximity entry but now I miss it. I drove an MDX for 9 years without it but my last 6 months have been in an Infiniti QX80 that had it and it really does come in handy. Im wondering if anyone has done this? Its not a huge deal to me but if its possible I would do it. I just don't want to open up a bunch of electrical issues.
Sponsored

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
It's been tried and doesn't work. There is a thread all about it.

OP
OP

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
Damn ok. I tried searching and only found threads with people asking if getting it or problems with it. Thanks

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Can’t be done. I started or added to many threads on this.

1. Parts CAN be added. About $3-400. You would need new handles, jumper harnesses, main door harnesses
2. Some trim levels already have required antennas (5). Mine did.
3. All of this would appear to make it a staright-forward add on. It is not. The problem is the RF hub - the brain that controls all key fob functions. This is programmed at the factory for the features that are associated with your VIN. Order another hub and it will be programmed with your VIN. Others smarter than I have tried to work around this without success.

So, while technically possible, it won’t happen with factory components.

And yep, I regret this. I came from a vehicle with proximity. Having push button start without proximity is like 1/2 a solution.

With a “key start” and fob:

- I always have to remove key from pocket: press fob to unlock, insert key in ignition. Remove key to leave and lock car.

With proximity/push button:

-key fob never leaves pocket

With NO proximity and push button:

-have to take key out of pocket to unlock
-typically throw key on pass seat after (and forget)

Granted, a first world problem.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have a love/hate relationship with safety technology.

I mean I love it: reduce injuries/damage, save lives, lowering insurance rates and litigation: what's not to love.

The part that I don't like is where rather than supplementing good old fashion driving skills, like first turning your head in the direction you are going before going there, it has a tendency to replace such measures despite the fact that it shouldn't.

Maybe this is old fashion of me. Once upon a time vision correction surgery was done by hand. Despite skilled ophthalmologists, nobody in their right mind would today not have such surgery done by far more accurate laser technology.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a love/hate relationship with safety technology.

I mean I love it: reduce injuries/damage, save lives, lowering insurance rates and litigation: what's not to love.

The part that I don't like is where rather than supplementing good old fashion driving skills, like first turning your head in the direction you are going before going there, it has a tendency to replace such measures despite the fact that it shouldn't.

Maybe this is old fashion of me. Once upon a time vision correction surgery was done by hand. Despite skilled ophthalmologists, nobody in their right mind would today not have such surgery done by far more accurate laser technology.
My insurance agent says rates are going up because of all the safety equipment that needs to be replaced in an accident. Also, one car magazine a few months ago tested several different forward collision avoidance systems and found a wide variance in abilities. Some cars had up to 15 pages in the owner's manual of caveats to its use. What they found is people don't read their manuals (surprise) and they make assumptions about the abilities and inabilities of safety systems. An anticipated problem that will come with autonomous driving. People will think they can zone out and not pay attention plus, if they had any, driving skills will decline. Airlines are finding that in newer aircraft with total automation, they trust too much in the automation and do 't know how to handle emergencies.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So the trick to getting it to work is the timing. So with your left hand you put your fingers behind the door handle and with your right hand you reach in your pocket and click the button :clap:

Seriously, proximity is one of the features that I was willing to give up but now am very happy I have. It's one of those things many would jump on if they could do it over.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My insurance agent says rates are going up because of all the safety equipment that needs to be replaced in an accident.
That doesn't seem very fair, or logical of insurers. Isn't this safety equipment decreasing the number of accidents the insurers have to pay out on?

As for accidents where rigs with this equipment get hit, said costs, depending on the State, can be subrogated to the at fault insurer's company.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't seem very fair, or logical of insurers. Isn't this safety equipment decreasing the number of accidents the insurers have to pay out on?

As for accidents where rigs with this equipment get hit, said costs, depending on the State, can be subrogated to the at fault insurer's company.
Many insurers will give cars equipped with safety features a premium discount but we all pay for collision damage in the premiums we pay. So the more expensive stuff cars keep getting the more repairs cost the more we all pay in premiums. The rider I don't like is accident forgiveness, if you caused an accident then your insurance should go up not ours.
Sponsored