Sponsored

Post COVID Clutch

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover 110 and Gladiator Sport S
I'm doing my best to adhere to my mantra "never buy a first model year vehicle".
So far I'm glad I've done so. I want a manual transmission Gladiator in the worst way but clearly it's going to be prudent to wait for the clutch recall to be resolved. All of you who rolled the dice on a 2020 deserve a proper solution to this problem. I personally am hopeful that the factory shutdown for COVID 19 will provide enough of a pause in production for Jeep to work out a fix for when the line starts rolling again.

I'm going to predict we will all be referring to Pre-COVID clutches vs. Post-COVID clutches.

At least I hope we'll be able to.

PS I don't need advice about automatics please.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a smart decision to wait. Love my auto though

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first purchase of a first model year vehicle. So far, there are no problems with the truck. There is the driveshaft recall that hasn't been done, yet, but it's got 7500 miles on it and showing no issues. I really like the 8-speed auto and adaptive cruise control. I won't buy another vehicle without either one, as long as I have a choice. I grew up driving MT trucks, and don't understand the desire to have one.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a manual transmission Gladiator Rubicon. We have approx. 6K miles so far. Many trips already, -- snow, sand, dirt, rocks. We drive it everyday and have a blast with it. My pressure plate (clutch) has been recalled, but, it has worked perfectly so far. We will drive it and continue to have fun with it. When the time is right, I will bring it in for the recall and get a new pressure plate. So far, my experience has been fantastically positive and we are happy to have the truck and feel somewhat unique to have a manual transmission Gladiator Rubicon.

turd fergusen

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 granite chrystal Gladiator rubicon 6spd
i love mine, 3500 miles and no worries. I cannot stand auto transmissions, have never used cruise control and never will.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
i love mine, 3500 miles and no worries. I cannot stand auto transmissions, have never used cruise control and never will.
Impressive not using cruise. I'd like a manual, expect it doesn't tow as much as the max tow

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Impressive not using cruise. I'd like a manual, expect it doesn't tow as much as the max tow
There's a chart available that shows what each model is capable of using either transmission. The manual transmission reduces the towing capacity about 2000 pounds below what the automatic can handle.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Before buying this Gladiator, I've never bought a first year model or new generation of any vehicle. This power train is essentially three years in, so it's quite a surprise that the clutch defect is the first recall for my Gladiator.

OP
OP
Gobistick

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. I'm really glad to hear from those who are enjoying their manual transmission and hope they continue to provide good service for you all. I'll wait patiently for the hopefully improved rigs that come off the line after the COVID shutdown.
As good as the Auto is, I just don't want one!

OP
OP
Gobistick

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you Jimbom, the Gladiator has a mostly proven drivetrain, my confidence is high this clutch issue will be an aberration in an otherwise solid truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I have an Sting Gray on order with a manual. Ordered 02/24 and was scheduled to be built firs week of March then pulled for the recall and now the shutdown. I will patiently wait.

Bruce

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Thanks everyone. I'm really glad to hear from those who are enjoying their manual transmission and hope they continue to provide good service for you all. I'll wait patiently for the hopefully improved rigs that come off the line after the COVID shutdown.
As good as the Auto is, I just don't want one!
Look at the thread -- Rubicon Manual Towing Capacity -- there is a post by "whiteglad" that explains the new "organic" clutch in the Gladiator vs. Asbestos clutches. It seems the new Organic clutches require some additional care while slipping them to get going in heavy load situations. There is also a video where a Jeep employee explains the clutch and towing capacity.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have an Sting Gray on order with a manual. Ordered 02/24 and was scheduled to be built firs week of March then pulled for the recall and now the shutdown. I will patiently wait.

Bruce
Hearing things like this makes me glad I found one on the lot with everything I wanted and didn't want. I was considering building one and had everything saved and then I ran across the Gator one I ended up buying. It just happened to work out. The way this virus things going, it could be a while before they start back up.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Asbestos-containing organic clutches were somewhat more heat resistant than the fiberglass used since about 1980. However, the organic resins are the weak point but they are what holds the facing components together. These facings are cost effective and smoother engaging with slippage than brass "ceramic" or sintered iron. The iron facing is used for drag racing where the clutch is deliberately slipped to soften engagement now that the drag strip surfaces are coated to grip the slicks and keep them from spinning on take-off. There is no magic to organic facings other than quality, and including brass shavings to help scrub resin residue from the flywheel and pressure plate facings. Clutches are a compromise of cost vs. quality, with the big triangle being clamp load (which translates to pedal effort), diameter, and facing/plate materials. Cast iron has a better coefficient of friction than steel. Steel is safer (won't crack easily like cast iron) and more expensive to build. I said on this forum that I would go to South Bend Clutch because they have premium facings and other techniques available from their decades of building custom clutches for modified diesel pickups with 1000-2000 ft-lb torque, while keeping as much driveability as possible.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
If you are towing heavy, you need a lot of first gear to keep from having to slip the clutch a lot when starting out. In the 1960s, people liked the M21 and M22 Muncie 4 speeds with 2.20 ratio first gear because all the gears were closely spaced, ratio-wise. Tires, clutches, etc. have changed, and now racers use from 3.08 to 3.29 first gear ratios. They still need a sintered iron "slipper" clutch to take off with maximum acceleration. This thinking and experience is important to Jeepers, too. You just don't have the steep first, close ratio spreads (especially in the upper gears), and good overdrive ratio(s) that would be ideal. There is no 10-speed manual available for us, and it would cost more, not less, if one were made and met both weight and durability requirements. Thus, it could not be the low-cost leading standard equipment.
Sponsored