Sponsored

Potential first time Jeep owner

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I joined this forum as I'd like to pick up some info on Jeeps as I'm planning on picking one up this winter. I've been looking at the Jeep Sport with Altitude package as well as the Rubicon.

I've never owned a Jeep before in my life. I've driven a couple in the past (2011 and 2014) but I've heard the newer models have been much improved.

I currently drive a 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T and also have a 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, and an older 1972 Chevy Nova. I'm a big fan of muscle cars, drag racing, and have ridden dirtbikes/quads/UTV's off road on ORV trails and stuff, but never got into off roading with actual vehicles like Jeeps or trucks.

I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect overall. I've heard that Jeeps ride pretty rough, they're kind of noisy, not all that great on gas, but they're a lot of fun to drive. I sat in a few as well as the new Gladiator and really like them. Feels like you're sitting in a small tank. Just looking for actual owners' input as to the overall driving experience, what to expect, what's great, what sucks, etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler Sport with Altitude package, cold weather package, technology package, and all weather floor mats. I really like the firecracker red, white, and granite crystal gray. Also thinking the hard top would be best for me vs the soft top.

This will be a daily driver and don't plan to do a whole lot of serious off roading, which is why I think the Rubicon might be overkill for me. I live out in the country and have a long commute to work and live in Michigan where the winters can get nasty sometimes, so I like the 4x4 aspect of the Jeep as I'll likely need it this winter.

Anyway, I appreciate any input from you guys. Won't be ordering anything until December sometime. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler.jpg
Sponsored

morleyz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
We (wife and I) are new Wrangler owners and love ours. We heard all the negatives you referenced, but then rented a JK for a week while on vacation. We were surprised by the quality of the ride. It wasn't quite as quiet as my F250 or her Cherokee, but otherwise fine.

The ride quality of the JL is even better. We did test drive about 10 Wranglers before we settled on the package we wanted (ended up in a Moab) and to ensure that steering wasn't an issue. We found a few that were really bad steering and a couple in the middle and still a few that were nice and tight. All we have done so far is put some bigger tires and new wheels and we both love driving it. It's not a Caddy, but it's a fun and solid daily drive or off road toy.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
My advice would be to rent or borrow one and drive it for several days. Driving a Jeep is impossible to describe accurately. What it feels like to another person will be of very little use to you. For instance...I find the ride smooth, steering tight and quick, the noise level low, and the mileage excellent. To me it handles like a vintage sport car.

This is because for the past 30 years I've been driving full-size 4x4 pickup trucks all the time every day. The one I was using as a daily drive until last month is a '97 Ram 1500 with 250,000 miles.

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they aren't good on gas, this is true. But it sounds like your not to concerned about that from what I see of your other vehicles.
I don't think the JL rides rough at all, it definitely rides better than my JK did.

It definitely is not as quiet as most modern vehicles, but really it's not bad for a convertible brick on wheels. I can actually have a conversation on the bluetooth and not be straining to hear.

I chose the Rubicon because it is exactly what I wanted. But only you can make that decision as far as what suits you best. I will warn you though, once you own it and drive it, the itch will begin to mod it. Be prepared for that.

Either way, you will have fun and enjoy whichever trim you choose. There is nothing else like a jeep.:like:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I find that being good on-road and being good off-road are mutually exclusive. If you keep it pretty much stock, your ride and gas mileage won’t be that bad. But that’s seriously hard to do if you’re into cars, and you sound like you’re into cars.

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you drive winter roads a lot you may want to go for the Sahara with the auto-4WD transfer case. That's one thing I regret about my Rubicon, after using Auto-4WD for years in the pickups I've owned, I miss it. Especially for the wife who might forget to leave our jeep in 4-Hi after the roads clear up......and the t-case gets bound up tighter than hell......yikes.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
PS my JLUR gets 22mpg on highway trips at 75mph. Which is pretty damn good in my opinion. V6, 6 speed manual.

You might hate the lack of torque though, seeing your past vehicles. haha (it's my pet peeve)

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
Wow thanks for all the input so far! This is a very responsive forum!

Just to clarify, this will be a leased vehicle. I work for FCA and they have some nice lease deals for employees, so I figured I'd lease one and see what Jeeps are all about. I just wanted to make sure I understood all the different trim levels, options, etc before getting one.

I will be keeping it stock as it's a lease, so no modifications for me. But I know what you're saying. I got my Scat Pack Challenger and said I'd keep it stock. Then I got a tune, throttle body, hellcat airbox, catch can, Racestar wheels with front skinnies, and ended up pulling the seats for all out runs at the dragstrip haha! It's never ending once you start. But this one will have to stay stock as it's a lease.

To me, getting 15-20mpg in the city and 20-25mpg on the highway is considered "good". My Nova struggles to get 12-13mpg with its double pumper carb, 3800 stall, and 3.73 posi with no overdrive haha! So it sounds like I'll be okay in the mpg department as far as expectations.

As of right now, we can only choose the 2.0L turbo engine with 8 speed auto. I believe they are re-tooling a couple plants and the 3.6L availability is limited, so they are limiting them to external customers only and not to the company lease pool. From what I've read the 2.0L is a pretty solid engine though. Looks like it has a little less hp than the 3.6L but has more torque and at a lower RPM. But with it being a daily driver I'm not too concerned about what engine I end up with, both seem to be pretty solid from what I've read.

Thanks again for all your input! Keep it coming!

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Someone already suggested this, but I'm agreeing. You mentioned wanting a jeep for winter driving. I went with a Sahara for that reason because of the selec-trac auto 4wd. Just something to consider.

Also, I have a 2.0. I think it's great. Can't speak for the 3.6, but you're gonna hear both owners telling you that whatever they have is great.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I joined this forum as I'd like to pick up some info on Jeeps as I'm planning on picking one up this winter. I've been looking at the Jeep Sport with Altitude package as well as the Rubicon.

I've never owned a Jeep before in my life. I've driven a couple in the past (2011 and 2014) but I've heard the newer models have been much improved.

I currently drive a 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T and also have a 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, and an older 1972 Chevy Nova. I'm a big fan of muscle cars, drag racing, and have ridden dirtbikes/quads/UTV's off road on ORV trails and stuff, but never got into off roading with actual vehicles like Jeeps or trucks.

I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect overall. I've heard that Jeeps ride pretty rough, they're kind of noisy, not all that great on gas, but they're a lot of fun to drive. I sat in a few as well as the new Gladiator and really like them. Feels like you're sitting in a small tank. Just looking for actual owners' input as to the overall driving experience, what to expect, what's great, what sucks, etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler Sport with Altitude package, cold weather package, technology package, and all weather floor mats. I really like the firecracker red, white, and granite crystal gray. Also thinking the hard top would be best for me vs the soft top.

This will be a daily driver and don't plan to do a whole lot of serious off roading, which is why I think the Rubicon might be overkill for me. I live out in the country and have a long commute to work and live in Michigan where the winters can get nasty sometimes, so I like the 4x4 aspect of the Jeep as I'll likely need it this winter.

Anyway, I appreciate any input from you guys. Won't be ordering anything until December sometime. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler.jpg
Hello neighbor. Well kind of. I am from Southern Indiana. So I am in your neighbor state.

My wife and I have been looking at Jeeps for quite a while now. Well actually I have been looking for 3 plus years and my amazing wife has been putting up with it!!! :)

After looking at all the options and shopping around, driving several... stock and slightly modified Wranglers we made our selection. But first let me give you a little more background. I will try to be brief but, I think this is what you are looking for.... at least I hope.

My family and I live in the country. I have a relatively short drive to work (about 20 miles one way). Mix of back roads and highway. No interstate at least not for my travel to my office.

The Wrangler was an additional vehicle for my family. Meaning not trading in. We went from 2 drivers to 3 drivers. Our teenage daughter is now driving. (Pray for me). She is doing fantastic btw but for a dad it’s scary!!!! Possibly you can relate. We had never owned a Wrangler. It has been a dream.

So our other two vehicles are: 2006 Pontiac G6 coupe and 2013 Toyota Highlander. The Highlander was my previous daily driver. I also travel a fair amount for work. Me logging 12-15k per year is not unheard of.

The last several years it has been lower. When I do this travel I drive my own vehicle. Each of my trips are at least 3 hours away one way. Some even up into ON, Canada.

So now back to the selection of our Jeep....

After checking and checking and test driving and doing much what you are doing now.... all be it I did not know about this forum which is awesome!!!! I spoke with anyone and everyone I could.... my daughter called it stalking. I thought of it more as market research!!!!

We decided that the Sahara was right for us.

I know there are some that will say... oh no.... to this but, I don’t think that dropping a huge amount of coin and then potentially beating it up on trails sounds like fun. To each his / her own.

Now taking nice relaxing cruises on the backroads and meandering highways and byways of our country on the other hand is something I can Definitely get behind!!!!! And do!!!!

We ordered our Wrangler on 7/27.
Arrived at dealer: 9/4
A26ED1EF-B962-45EB-AEC9-ED1863FE8565.jpeg

took delivery: 9/5
Added 2” lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires: 9/10.
EF65A227-B904-4EB6-85F1-2C500F4E5D28.jpeg

WE LOVE IT. It’s the 2.0L. Even with the lift and tires it is currently averaging 21.5 mpg. We have already had it one several short day trips. This next week I head to Eastern TN for work. Will be driving the Jeep. Very much looking forward to it.

Concerning a few of your other points...
Noise, ride quality, gas mileage. Several others have hit the nail on the head. It’s kind of in the eye of the beholder. With that said....

Noise is not bad at all. I think many people that say that only know older Jeeps. It’s really not much different sound wise than my fully loaded highlander. Ride quality, before the lift and 35’s. I would say it was a little more rigid but to be honest comparable to the highlander. With the 35’s and lift... more rigid but it rides really well. Loving it!!!!!

Gas mileage, as of now as good as the highlander.

Good luck!!!! And if you pull the trigger.... enjoy it!!!! There is NOTHING LIKE IT ON THE ROAD!!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the 2.0L is an excellent little engine. I'm surprised at how good the mileage is on these new Jeeps compared to the older ones. My sister in law's old Jeep was usually in the 15-18mpg range.

I have a pretty long commute, 55 miles one way, but mostly freeway. I get 23-24mpg average out of my Challenger R/T which I feel is pretty good for a Hemi V8. I'm guessing I'd probably get 22-24mpg out of the Jeep 2.0L as well which is nice.

I've been reading about the differences between the trim levels and one thing the Sahara has is the 4WD Auto (selectrac I think it's called). That seems pretty cool vs just 4Lo and 4Hi. My wife's Ram has that and we just leave that on when it's nasty out. But they're also quite a bit more than the Sport Altitude I was looking at. I'll have to do some more research on that.

Thanks for all your input!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
If your primary reason for the Jeep is lots of sloppy-road winter driving, the Selec-trac is preferable. If you just want to be able to get out of that drift at the end of the driveway, the Command-Trac is fine. Personally, the Altitude package looks pretty much just cosmetic to me, and not that attractive either. I just got a Sport, and added the automatic tranny and air....and limited slip and hardtop and tinted glass and floormats. With the dealer discount, came in at $32,000. I had access to an LCA Family and Friends, but the dealer's markdown was better.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your primary reason for the Jeep is lots of sloppy-road winter driving, the Selec-trac is preferable. If you just want to be able to get out of that drift at the end of the driveway, the Command-Trac is fine. Personally, the Altitude package looks pretty much just cosmetic to me, and not that attractive either. I just got a Sport, and added the automatic tranny and air....and limited slip and hardtop and tinted glass and floormats. With the dealer discount, came in at $32,000. I had access to an LCA Family and Friends, but the dealer's markdown was better.
It will be my daily driver. Keep in mind I daily drove a Challenger R/T 6 speed with Goodyear F1 tires through a couple Michigan winters and never got stuck or had issues, though it was "challenging" at times (pun intended haha!). We live out in the country now and our street will likely not be maintained too well, so that's why I'm thinking of getting something with 4x4.

Yes the altitude is mostly cosmetic. I think it looks cool, but to each their own.

Sounds like you got a nice deal!

The selec-trac sounds very similar to what my wife's Ram has, 4WD auto. It just kicks into 4wd whenever necessary, but doesn't always stay in 4wd. I've never owned a true 4x4 vehicle before, everything I've owned in my life so far has been either RWD or AWD. So the whole shifting into 4Lo or 4Hi is a new concept to me. Sounds like you have to be more cognizant of the road conditions as to when you can use 4x4, but that's something I could handle I think. I used to drive a stick shift all the time and you always have to pay attention to your speed, what gear you're in, etc.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I just traded in my Charger Scat Pack on a new 2 door Rubicon and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My $.02, best of luck to ya!

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just traded in my Charger Scat Pack on a new 2 door Rubicon and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My $.02, best of luck to ya!
That's cool! I don't think I could get rid of my Scat Pack. I love that car too much. It has so much power and is so much fun to drive. But I need something that's 4x4 for a daily driver, and the Jeeps look so cool.

How do you like the ride in the new Jeep? Do you get much noise from those big tires or not bad?

Here's my Scat Pack launching at the track a couple weekends ago. I've gone 11.4 at 120mph in it going all out, but went 11.6 at 116mph on that pass. We also drove it up north to Mackinac for our family vacation this year and averaged about 23mpg overall. Great cars!

IMG_7265.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG
Sponsored