Power Outlet Newbie Question

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My apologies in advance as in this aspect I feel like a total newbie. Ok, details: 2020 JTR with the Cargo Management Group Truck Bed 115–Volt AC Outlet AND a new (loving it!) Dometic CFX3 75 DX frig/freezer. In less than two weeks (finally!) will be moving to just outside Boulder, CO. Trip will involve heading up to Chicago to pick up daughter from college and then heading over to CO. During this time the Dometic will be plugged into the outlet while driving and plugged into house outlets while parked overnight. That is pretty straight forward and no real big deal IMHO.

Finally the question: while stopping for gas every 300 miles or so, do I need to unplug the Dometic before starting DawgBox back up to avoid brown-outs?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
My apologies in advance as in this aspect I feel like a total newbie. Ok, details: 2020 JTR with the Cargo Management Group Truck Bed 115–Volt AC Outlet AND a new (loving it!) Dometic CFX3 75 DX frig/freezer. In less than two weeks (finally!) will be moving to just outside Boulder, CO. Trip will involve heading up to Chicago to pick up daughter from college and then heading over to CO. During this time the Dometic will be plugged into the outlet while driving and plugged into house outlets while parked overnight. That is pretty straight forward and no real big deal IMHO.

Finally the question: while stopping for gas every 300 miles or so, do I need to unplug the Dometic before starting DawgBox back up to avoid brown-outs?
You should not need to. There is a switch in the cab for the bed outlet. You will probably have to press that to enable the bed outlet every time the truck is started.

OP
OP
DawgBox

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You should not need to. There is a switch in the cab for the bed outlet. You will probably have to press that to enable the bed outlet every time the truck is started.
Thanks Mr. Bill. I didn't know the switch would switch off when you turn off the Jeep but that makes sense.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Yes the inverter will shut down everytime you shut the rig down and need to be restarted everytime.

But so long as you aren't opening it very often, especially when powered down, the food will act as a very efficient cold sink and will hold temp far better than you might expect. More contents means more cold holding power as well.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
If a fridge or cooler isn't full, putting frozen or very cold water water bottles in it will help retain the cold. And then, well, you have more water...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DawgBox

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yes the inverter will shut down everytime you shut the rig down and need to be restarted everytime.

But so long as you aren't opening it very often, especially when powered down, the food will act as a very efficient cold sink and will hold temp far better than you might expect. More contents means more cold holding power as well.
Thanks ACAD_Cowboy!

OP
OP
DawgBox

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If a fridge or cooler isn't full, putting frozen or very cold water water bottles in it will help retain the cold. And then, well, you have more water...
Agree! Cold water...maybe a beer or two :)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
LOL, but don't freeze the beer!!

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
I have a Goalzero battery I put in between the plug in the rear and the Dometic. Therefore, the Goalzero keeps a full charge while I'm driving and then when truck is turned off it will run the Dometic for 48hours without power from the bed. Makes it simple and don't have to worry about. I have the Yeti 400 but the Yeti 150 for $199 would keep you going for about 24 hours. Note: People have had issues with the Lithium version (you must get the 400 or 150 or one of the new LithiumX models which work properly - not the regular lithium).

I have the Yeti plugged into the power outlet in bed and the Dometic plugged in the cigarette 12v outlet of the Yeti. Perfect combo. Keep domectic in the truck running every night!

Great fridge - I wish it was just an inch and a half shorter so could fit under my bed cover. I had to go with the 35liter to stay under.

OP
OP
DawgBox

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have a Goalzero battery I put in between the plug in the rear and the Dometic. Therefore, the Goalzero keeps a full charge while I'm driving and then when truck is turned off it will run the Dometic for 48hours without power from the bed. Makes it simple and don't have to worry about. I have the Yeti 400 but the Yeti 150 for $199 would keep you going for about 24 hours. Note: People have had issues with the Lithium version (you must get the 400 or 150 or one of the new LithiumX models which work properly - not the regular lithium).

I have the Yeti plugged into the power outlet in bed and the Dometic plugged in the cigarette 12v outlet of the Yeti. Perfect combo. Keep domectic in the truck running every night!

Great fridge - I wish it was just an inch and a half shorter so could fit under my bed cover. I had to go with the 35liter to stay under.
I was considering the 400 and the Dometics height is why I put the SoftTopper on as a temp solution until the RSI SmartCap is available.

Sponsored

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I personally was going to buy another Goal Zero today it would be the 500x.

They fixed their voltage issues on these new lithiums and you save a ton of weight.

OP
OP
DawgBox

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If I personally was going to buy another Goal Zero today it would be the 500x.

They fixed their voltage issues on these new lithiums and you save a ton of weight.
Hi cbl1, was just looking at it and think I can run up to Bass Pro Shop to pick it up as getting it shipped to me in time for the trip is dicey.

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like same price no matter where get from currently

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That 500X probably would keep your dometic going almost 3 days without power

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IN this thread TennesseePA has been testing his Dometic 95DX (even larger) and with temperatures in his garage in the mid-80s has been pulling 13 ah off battery every 24 hours (after initial cooldown - which normally people would do under AC power).

So the Goal Zero 500X has 46.8 AH so in theory you should be able to get 86 hours (well over 3 days).

The 500X charges from AC in 8.5 hours (so it would then need 8.5 hours of charge time off your bed outlet over every 3 1/2 day period to maintain a continual power supply).

My Boulder 50 Solar panel would even keep going if I was in an area with no power. The Boulder 50 will charge it with 12 hours direct sunlight (so that means 12 hours total direct sunlight needed during 3 days of daylight).
Sponsored