Sponsored

Power Steering Quits for No Reason?? (I think I fixed it)

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Some of us (not many) have had this happen where we’re driving along and all of a sudden the power steering quits and you’re now driving via strong arm steering. (No blown codes) It’s happened to me 3 times already and 2 of those times the wife was in the truck to witness it.

All of us who have taken our trucks to the dealership quickly find out the problem is rare therefore the service techs don’t know what the fix is and will either tear the truck apart or keep it in the shop for weeks on end.

I too almost took mine to the dealership but first called the shop manager to discuss the issue,…he never heard of it happening but would investigate and get back. He never did. The second time it happened I called again and was handed over to the “in house” electrical tech who said the manager wouldn’t know what to do and proceeded to hear my issue and promised to enquire up the line to the engineers and get back to me. He never did. I called when it happened the 3rd time and got him on the phone. He said engineering department said “it’s either a heat issue or electrical issue” and they would check the pins first and go from there.

(Take Note*, Fluid level always remained at the MAX line.)

For me this is when it WOULD’NT happen. When it’s not hot outside, below 27C.

The steering would quit only when it was hot outside. @ 27-31 C or (80-95F) When the steering quit the pump was scolding hot! You would burn yourself touching it if you weren’t careful. I had it booked in and thought I’d change the power steering fluid before hand and picked up two bottles of the Mopar electric pump oil,
jacked up the front end and drained out the fluid pulling the hose off the pump and draining it in the pan AND also steered all the way left and right to completely drain the system. 1 litre came out. I put the hose back on and poured in one litre and had my wife turn the steering all the way left and right (engine off) as I kept pouring in the fluid. 1 1/2 litres went in before the bubbles stopped and the fluid was at the MAX line.

(1 litre came out, 1 1/2 went back in and the fluid was always at theMAX Line!!?)

Did we have an air lock or heat issue?? You’re dam right we did. There’s the problem. Since doing this work myself, the steering never quit again after that and it’s been hot outside.

I would recommend everyone jack the front end of their rig up and with engine off and steering fluid reservoir lid open, steer full left and right at least 30 times to get that air out. Your fluid level will read full with an air lock trapped in the system. (Buy a bottle of fluid first).
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us (not many) have had this happen where we’re driving along and all of a sudden the power steering quits and you’re now driving via strong arm steering. It’s happened to me 3 times already and 2 of those times the wife was in the truck to witness it.

All of us who have taken our trucks to the dealership quickly find out the problem is rare therefore the service techs don’t know what the fix is and will either tear the truck apart or keep it in the shop for weeks on end.

I too almost took mine to the dealership but first called the shop manager to discuss the issue,…he never heard of it happening but would investigate and get back. He never did. The second time it happened I called again and was handed over to the “in house” electrical tech who said the manager wouldn’t know what to do and proceeded to hear my issue and promised to enquire up the line to the engineers and get back to me. He never did. I called when it happened the 3rd time and got him on the phone. He said engineering department said “it’s either a heat issue or electrical issue” and they would check the pins first and go from there.

(Take Note*, Fluid level always remained at the MAX line.)

For me this is when it WOULD’NT happen. When it’s not hot outside, below 27C.

The steering would quit only when it was hot outside. @ 27-31 C or (87-100F) When the steering quit the pump was scolding hot! You would burn yourself touching it if you weren’t careful. I had it booked in and thought I’d change the power steering fluid before hand and picked up two bottles of the Mopar electric pump oil,
jacked up the front end and drained out the fluid pulling the hose off the pump and draining it in the pan AND also steered all the way left and right to completely drain the system. 1 litre came out. I put the hose back on and poured in one litre and had my wife turn the steering all the way left and right as I kept pouring in the fluid. 1 1/2 litres went in before the bubbles stopped and the fluid was at the MAX line.

(1 litre came out, 1 1/2 went back in and the fluid was always at theMAX Line!!?)

Did we have an air lock or heat issue?? You’re dam right we did. There’s the problem. Since doing this work myself, the steering never quit again after that and it’s been hot outside.
- when I took my truck back a few days after having the steering gear replaced (the second time) the tech literally told me "these things are known for air locks in the system and it's not uncommon for someone to need to add fluid days after having work done".
So - maybe unrelated to the "loss of power steering" but it makes me wonder if there's air trapped, which alone could cause a hot pump as it's the fluid circulating that cools it.......... and/or the fluid is literally boiling.
Remember - the TSB for the steering gear issue said the problem was more prevalent in warm weather or words to that effect.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
It’s been 8 days since I posted this topic and we’ve had some hot days and currently it’s 35c(95F). I’ve had no issues. It’s very likely we will get to 40c(104F) over the next couple days so I jacked up the front end and steered lock to lock another 30 times and still had some bubbles surface.
Sponsored