First Name
Wendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
Hello. I recently purchased a 2020 Jeep Gladiator with a 3 1/2" lift and 35" tires, and am looking for a good power step option. I am torn between Amp power step and Rock Slide. I want to do the install myself and was wondering if anyone had any experience with either. Also your recommendations would be helpful. Thanks all.
Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
RSEs all the way. A few more $$s but worth it in my opinion. Granted, I put on 37s.

OP
OP
Wendell36

Wendell36

First Name
Wendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
RSEs all the way. A few more $$s but worth it in my opinion. Granted, I put on 37s.
Thanks. Did you do the install or have them done? Just curious how complicated the wiring is and if it is clear where you tap in.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I have owned/installed a set of the AMP steps, pretty easy installation. If I were to go that route again I would go for the 2 motors per side. The AMP steps are very nice = full-sized step with great ergonomics however offer no real protection At All, if you feel you would ever need rocker protection then go with the RSE product. Good luck.
PS I recall talk of a 3rd option, some outfit out of Houston?

HopSlammer

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Last edited:

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Thanks. Did you do the install or have them done? Just curious how complicated the wiring is and if it is clear where you tap in.
I did not on these. My understanding is that wiring isnā€™t overly complicated depending on your skill level. More effort on the actual rails as they require 2 peeps to install. They are built like a tank.

As said. I wanted both protection and folding step ability All in one. RSE seems to be the only option at this point that I am aware of.

Pic attached with them installed.

3DD9D8A8-DCCB-401A-B661-78DBA2345A55.jpeg

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the RSE and did the install myself, well, with my brotherā€™s help. The extra pair of hands are very helpful with things that are a bit unwieldy. I have managed such things alone in the past but it took me a lot longer, ensuring I didnā€™t ding the truck or the new accessory. The extra hands were especially useful on mine as one of the Jeepā€™s pinch weld bolt holes needed drilling out. The layers of sheet metal were apparently predrilled then put together. One layer was misaligned enough that the bolt on the slider wouldnā€™t go in. Trying to find the misalignment would have been a real pain on my own.

I love mine. The step is narrow so if you are doing steps for someone more wobbly on their feet, AMP is the way to go giving better foot purchase. Iā€™m not the steadiest guy anymore but I have no issues stepping in hands-free ā€˜cuz I have a big drink in one hand and food in the other.

Both are good products so just go with which fills your need, wider/easier step or beefier protectio. Another benefit Iā€™m liking a lot is the extra paint protection. The sides of the jeep donā€™t catch near as much road debris, mud. And they serve as a great place to stand when washing the roof šŸ˜Ž

Jeep Gladiator Power Steps 83807ABE-B00D-4744-B071-FDD0A1C62295

good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wendell36

Wendell36

First Name
Wendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
I have owned/installed a set of the AMP steps, pretty easy installation. If I were to go that route again I would go for the 2 motors per side. The AMP steps are very nice = full-sized step with great ergonomics however offer no real protection At All, if you feel you would ever need rocker protection then go with the RSE product. Good luck.
PS I recall talk of a 3rd option, some outfit out of Houston?
Thanks Oilburner

OP
OP
Wendell36

Wendell36

First Name
Wendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
Lots of great feedback and I appreciate the link to the guy who bought both. Think I will go with the RSE. I will post picks when I am done. Is my first post on the forum, so thanks to all for the support.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of great feedback and I appreciate the link to the guy who bought both. Think I will go with the RSE. I will post picks when I am done. Is my first post on the forum, so thanks to all for the support.
FWIW, if you have the Aux switches, I recommend using Aux 1 or 2 to power the RSEs. Those two can supply enough current and make for a cleaner install, IMHO. The kit comes with a little switch and bracket for under the dash if you need/prefer that.

Mine are a great fit for me and my truck with 2ā€ AEV spacer kit and 37ā€ BFG KO2s (which run small for 37s).

Good luck with your install.

Sponsored

geractore2002

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
@AZCooWhip @AggieJeep Have you guys experience the steps basically slamming-in when closing? I just installed mine and just wondering if it's normal. I imagined and more quieter and sophisticated close.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
@AZCooWhip @AggieJeep Have you guys experience the steps basically slamming-in when closing? I just installed mine and just wondering if it's normal. I imagined and more quieter and sophisticated close.
My driver is near perfect. There is the typical ā€œsomething is loweringā€œ noise which I dont mind as it tells me they are going down or have gone up.

My passenger definitely needs to be adjusted a bit if they can be. Project for this week. Passenger opens and closes with authority. Not overly concerning, but a smidge different than my driver.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These do slam and clunk when deploying and retracting. It makes me smile to hear them. Themā€™s a real manā€™s power steps. :LOL:They ainā€™t dainty. Even with the slamming, they wonā€™t hurt you. They will detect resistance and stop.

And yes, the top flat portion is very stout. You can stand and dance on them all you like. I am a bit gentle when I stand just to avoid grinding grime and dirt into the finish with my boots.
Sponsored