JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Business Owner
Hi Team,
I'm sure I speak for a few of us out here thinking about Rack/No Rack, Cab/No Cab. I see pros/cons to each. For those of you who have mastered the coolness of the rack with many cool things dripping off the sides, How Useful have you found your rack/overlanding setups to be in actual practice. And if you just dig the look, that is also cool.. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
JP
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Can you share a picture as an example of what your talking about?

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
All depends on ur situation. For 1, neither is cheap. I went with basket/rack from ace engineering before their prices were outrageous. Love my set and been very utilitarian. Next time I'll go for just rack and maybe hard roll tonneau. Pics are from my 5 day overland trip on GAT over Thanksgiving weekend.
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 20221128_153030
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 20221127_143650

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Amen to @LordEnzo on it being situational. I spent the first two seasons trying to keep all my gear in the cab or under the tonneau, but the trips outgrew that space. Still, I’m a junkie for no roof and no doors, so no roof racks. I also still use my truck for truck stuff such as hauling stone or construction debris, so no cap on the bed. I ordered a KB Voodoo MAX Modular 14” aluminum rack with a storage box during their Black Friday sale, so I can get recovery gear and other stuff up out of the bed. With the tonneau brackets I can keep the cover, and be able to lift the whole rack off with just 8 bolts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Amen to @LordEnzo on it bring situational. I spent the first two seasons trying to keep all my gear in the cab of under the tonneau, but I the trips outgrew that space. Still, I’m a junkie for no roof and no doors, so no roof racks. I also still use my truck for truck stuff such as hauling stone or construction debris, so no cap on the bed. I ordered a KB Voodoo MAX Modular 14” aluminum rack with a storage box during their Black Friday sale, so I can get recovery gear and other stuff up out of the bed. With the tonneau brackets I can keep the cover, and be able to lift the whole rack off with just 8 bolts.
My pics don't show it, but bed basket was full, bed was full, and cab rear seat was full. Just me and a buddy riding shotgun, with all our gear for trip. Including 16 gallon water tank with propane water heater and a 52 qt electric cooler. We used every bit of gear. Can't wait to make multiple excursions of FAT now. Oh yea, there was an anex attached to tent for extra sleeping space.
Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 20221126_225358

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
I have the Alucab Canopy Camper and it’s great I love it the only thing that I’ve add to it on the outside I made drop down tables and the interior is built out for my needs

Wow, those things look amazing.

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
My pics don't show it, but bed basket was full, bed was full, and cab rear seat was full. Just me and a buddy riding shotgun, with all our gear for trip. Including 16 gallon water tank with propane water heater and a 52 qt electric cooler. We used every bit of gear. Can't wait to make multiple excursions of FAT now. Oh yea, there was an anex attached to tent for extra sleeping space.
That’s using it well, my friend. Dig the body covers on the side. Must cut down the pinstriping quite a bit.

Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Went from a rack to a canopy. You can mount a lot more stuff on a rack. I was actually concerned about not being able to fit everything inside the canopy but wanted to keep things clean and protected. I can't mount anything on the gull wing doors but can stuff more things inside, especially soft bags ontop of everything.

20220213_153713.jpg

20221105_113207.jpg

20221209_205719.jpg

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Went from a rack to a canopy. You can mount a lot more stuff on a rack. I was actually concerned about not being able to fit everything inside the canopy but wanted to keep things clean and protected. I can't mount anything on the gull wing doors but can stuff more things inside, especially soft bags ontop of everything.

Jeep Gladiator Practical, Useful, or just Cool 20221209_205719

are you happy with the switch?

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
are you happy with the switch?
It's a good trade off for me. We can stop by restaurants and not worry too much about our gear. Also have my 100ah lifepo semi permanently mounted. Still can't find a good place for a shovel and my day port water tank (used to be mounted to the side of my rack). But I do have 13 gal on board water. The dayport is just very convenient to move about camp. Just ordered a road chef oven. Can't have that with a rack.

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
It's a good trade off for me. We can stop by restaurants and not worry too much about our gear. Also have my 100ah lifepo semi permanently mounted. Still can't find a good place for a shovel and my day port water tank (used to be mounted to the side of my rack). But I do have 13 gal on board water. The dayport is just very convenient to move about camp. Just ordered a road chef oven. Can't have that with a rack.
nice. I have had a tonneau cover with a DIY compact camper bracket rack. Have debated on getting a soft topper to use when we want to camp while traveling or just when we need a lil extra space for when the weather is bad or getting the contour canopy... I ordered a 2023 mojave that I will be trading my 2020 sport s in for on Monday. I feel like the topper would be better for our gear and the dogs when needed, but wonder if i'll miss being able to have the bed open...

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
nice. I have had a tonneau cover with a DIY compact camper bracket rack. Have debated on getting a soft topper to use when we want to camp while traveling or just when we need a lil extra space for when the weather is bad or getting the contour canopy... I ordered a 2023 mojave that I will be trading my 2020 sport s in for on Monday. I feel like the topper would be better for our gear and the dogs when needed, but wonder if i'll miss being able to have the bed open...
As long as you dont need the bed for work or play, then I think the canopy is great. Biggest reason for me to switch was restaurants. We like to try different local restaurants on our way back from trips. Can't always find a nice restaurant where I can keep an eye on my truck.
Sponsored

Last edited: